elk fetching II

diamond hitch

Every once in a while I find myself in a position where I can't get my elk out of the woods the same day. Most often I am blessed with freezing weather so I have a choice. There are a few procedures I have to follow to ensure success. Once I get my elk gutted I pull my drag rope out of my coat and move the carcass a couple hundred yards from the gut pile to a location favorable for retrieval. One of the requirements is a couple of trees 4-6 ft apart that are bigger than 6 inches in diameter. .The second task is to skin out the lower legs to where there is heavier meat. If you don't do that you may find that skin frozen and the quarters have to come into the house t thaw them out. Once they are prepped replace the skin and let it freeze. I them pack the inside of the carcass with snow to cool it. Last I prop it open with a stick to breath. To keep the predators at bay for the night, I pee on trees around the carcass and tie flagging in the limbs. Lastly I cut small fir trees and limbs and brush in all exposed meat. I've seen a flock of ravens strip the tenderloins and rump roasts out of an elk before I could get back to it in the morning. Then I get back to my horse and prepare for the next day.

The second day I bring either two or three horses depending on the conditions. On one horse I bring panniers that contain sheets, mannies, bailing twine or parachute chord, climbing spurs, a single tree and a battery operated dwalt reciprocating saw with two batteries. on another horse I have 25 ft of 5/8 hemp rope, my block and tackle and a couple of skinning knives, and a couple of lash cinches.

When I get back to the elk, I pull the brush off the carcass then put on my climbing spurs. I climb up one tree and tie off the rope. When I get back down I attach the single tree to the elk, the block and tackle to the rope and single tree and then climb up the second tree and tie the rope off. I then climb down and hoist the elk to a comfortable height and start skinning. You keep raising the elk to comfortable skinning height until finished. Then you lower the elk to a comforrtable splitting height and cut it in half with the saw. Cut the spine but don't separate the meat at the neck. It will keep the carcass steady. Raise the elk again to remove the front quarters. Cut a hand hold in the ribs about two ribs down and attach a rope on one quarter. Saw the spine but leave it attached by the meat. Now wrap the meat in sheets and tie them on. Place the front quarters on mannies and tie them up.

The front quarters are loaded on the pack saddle or saddle as shown in a previous post. You can tie up the stirrups or use a lash cinch to anchor them. Lower the hind quarters and wrap them before removal. Finally place the hind quarters in the panniers after mannying them up. The panniers are hooked onto the decker pack saddle and the lash cinch anchors everything in place. Finally you untie the rope, consolidate your tools and take the string to the truck.

If you have horns the can either go over the front quarters or tied on top of the panniers with or without a stick depending on the size.

Over the years I have only had a couple horse wrecks packing out but the sheets and mannies prevent the meat from getting dirty so the recovery is easier. What causes horse wrecks? What else- horses and bad luck. Stuff happens!!

Interesting read. I'm a freak about meat care as most are and I cringe every time I see the beginning or end of an Eastmans episode/commercial where they strap raw meat to the side of a horse and take off. I'm guessing they normally use game bags or leave the hide on but chose the raw meat as an attention grabber for television...?? Still dumb in my opinion. Makes it look like they don't care about what they eat or the loss of some of it that will need to be trimmed off when they get it home.

All game bags do is keep the flies off. If it's really cold there won't be any flies.

However, I wouldn't pay much attention to hunting shows. I never watch them.

You cut off the quarter and carry it to the horse and strap it on. Leave on the hide if you're worried about dirt.

Using a horse is different than strapping it on your back.

btw...I've always used game bags, so stop preaching to the choir.

Early on I purchased game bags. I found the didn't keep the meat clean or without bugs. Shortly after I got married I discovered that periodically sheets in the house were replaced. Instead of throwing the old ones out I got a duffle bag and started saving them. Once I get my meat home I scrub them down, trim the bloodshot and dry them off. In a butcher shop I found they used a new curry comb (round) to clean off bone chips. I found the comb will remove hair, twigs, needles as well as bone chips. Necessary if you cut your own meat and appreciated by your custom meat cutter.

Every once in a while I find myself in a position where I can't get my elk out of the woods the same day. Most often I am blessed with freezing weather so I have a choice. There are a few procedures I have to follow to ensure success. Once I get my elk gutted I pull my drag rope out of my coat and move the carcass a couple hundred yards from the gut pile to a location favorable for retrieval. One of the requirements is a couple of trees 4-6 ft apart that are bigger than 6 inches in diameter. .The second task is to skin out the lower legs to where there is heavier meat. If you don't do that you may find that skin frozen and the quarters have to come into the house t thaw them out. Once they are prepped replace the skin and let it freeze. I them pack the inside of the carcass with snow to cool it. Last I prop it open with a stick to breath. To keep the predators at bay for the night, I pee on trees around the carcass and tie flagging in the limbs. Lastly I cut small fir trees and limbs and brush in all exposed meat. I've seen a flock of ravens strip the tenderloins and rump roasts out of an elk before I could get back to it in the morning. Then I get back to my horse and prepare for the next day.

The second day I bring either two or three horses depending on the conditions. On one horse I bring panniers that contain sheets, mannies, bailing twine or parachute chord, climbing spurs, a single tree and a battery operated dwalt reciprocating saw with two batteries. on another horse I have 25 ft of 5/8 hemp rope, my block and tackle and a couple of skinning knives, and a couple of lash cinches.

When I get back to the elk, I pull the brush off the carcass then put on my climbing spurs. I climb up one tree and tie off the rope. When I get back down I attach the single tree to the elk, the block and tackle to the rope and single tree and then climb up the second tree and tie the rope off. I then climb down and hoist the elk to a comfortable height and start skinning. You keep raising the elk to comfortable skinning height until finished. Then you lower the elk to a comforrtable splitting height and cut it in half with the saw. Cut the spine but don't separate the meat at the neck. It will keep the carcass steady. Raise the elk again to remove the front quarters. Cut a hand hold in the ribs about two ribs down and attach a rope on one quarter. Saw the spine but leave it attached by the meat. Now wrap the meat in sheets and tie them on. Place the front quarters on mannies and tie them up.

The front quarters are loaded on the pack saddle or saddle as shown in a previous post. You can tie up the stirrups or use a lash cinch to anchor them. Lower the hind quarters and wrap them before removal. Finally place the hind quarters in the panniers after mannying them up. The panniers are hooked onto the decker pack saddle and the lash cinch anchors everything in place. Finally you untie the rope, consolidate your tools and take the string to the truck.

If you have horns the can either go over the front quarters or tied on top of the panniers with or without a stick depending on the size.

Over the years I have only had a couple horse wrecks packing out but the sheets and mannies prevent the meat from getting dirty so the recovery is easier. What causes horse wrecks? What else- horses and bad luck. Stuff happens!!

This is great information! I have a horse I'd like to start using to get elk out and I appreciate the time you have taken to post this. Happy Hunting (and retrieval)!

Yeah, they don't keep dirt off, or pine needles or keep meat clean in transport. Or many other things. mtmuley
My opinion is if someone don't take game bags in or something of the sort to help keep dirt, flies, ect off there meat and don't like eating clean meat and don't care about there meat has no business hunting. I work in a butcher shop and see it all the time. So many guys just care about the antlers. It's stupid. Don't get me wrong I'm perty much a trophy hunter but I love the meat also

I've come to bringing a small blue plastic tarp, carried in the day pack. I use it and an old bedsheet as a ground cloth when breaking down an animal. I lay the various pieces on the ground cloth as they come off the elk. I normally leave the hide on the shoulders and hams. The rest of the meat is bagged before loading it into saddle panniers on a horse. I split the load between two horses. One horse gets the two hind legs, the other gets everything else. One year when hunting solo, my horse in the avatar packed out a cow elk for four miles in one trip.

Horses make getting the meat out clean far easier than when I was doing everything on foot.

[QUOTE="406dn, post: 2954085, member: 430

Horses make getting the meat out clean far easier than when I was doing everything on foot.
[/QUOTE]
No, horses don't get meat out any cleaner than guys that pack. I've been there both ways. It's all in what you do after the kill. Horses or not. mmtuley

Why don't you read before you write. I said it makes it EASIER. You can get meat out clean either way. If you think getting an elk out on your back is easier than having a horse,, have at it.

A couple of times I ran into where someone fleshed out an elk into the hide, sewed it up and dragged the lump out. I guess that would decrease the load by 28-30% for the bone loss but it would still be a tough job as opposed loading it out on stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back