PEAX Equipment

Elk Don’t Like Hikers

Sobering data here....

To measure the impact on calves, he deliberately sent eight people hiking into calving areas until radio-collared elk showed signs of disturbance, such as standing up or walking away. The consequences were startling. About 30% of the elk calves died when their mothers were disturbed an average of seven times during calving. Models showed that if each cow elk was bothered 10 times during calving, all their calves would die.

Wow! I never would have guessed that impact. It’s going to be difficult to remedy because of the correlation between calving season and the best times to hike.

welp it's getting to the point all antler hunting is being shut down in spring. only logical that all other activities be shut down also.
IN fact ,I propose everyone must stay inside their dwellings when not at work to decrease animal /human contact. 😁 ;)

Hiking trails around Missoula are closed for this very reason. And some people just don't understand. Amazing. mtmuley
In Gunnison they shut down a lot of trails for Gunnison Sage Grouse, would love to see Colorado as a whole close down some of these trails like in Missoula...

According to the article they do shut down the trails and actually incorporate "Ambassadors" on a volunteer basis at the trailheads. According to the FS, it's reduced the, "closure violations".
I'd be curious if there are other factor(s) involved. 10 years and 965 elk less sighted. It would be interesting to see the regression of this specific elk herd over the past decade.

Sobering data here....

This again brings to mind the sustainability of increased outdoor recreation in certain parts of the west, especially adjacent to fast-growing urban areas. Specifically advertising those places as destinations for such activities. Not an easy problem

We have to start planning for the affects on wildlife now.

Last edited:
The elk need to either adapt or die. I’m not going to let a few dead elk keep me from hammering the mountains and updating my ‘gram.

I've noticed a severe increase in off trail hiking and biking in areas I hunt. I think it's due to many people besides hunters having hand held GPS units or perhaps using that "Cal Topo" app on cell phones. They are no longer worried about getting lost and they can stay off private pretty much. Cal Topo has illegal trails marked.

I’ve hunted 45 a number of times. Awesome elk country. It’s a darn shame

I've noticed a severe increase in off trail hiking and biking in areas I hunt. I think it's due to many people besides hunters having hand held GPS units or perhaps using that "Cal Topo" app on cell phones. They are no longer worried about getting lost and they can stay off private pretty much. Cal Topo has illegal trails marked.
ban gps

This again brings to mind the sustainability of increased outdoor recreation in certain parts of the west, especially adjacent to fast-growing urban areas. Specifically advertising those places as destinations for such activities. Not an easy problem

We have to start planning for the affects on wildlife now.

This is a very similar issue to the effect of highways and urban areas on migration corridors, it's always easier and cheaper to plan ahead than fix it later...

...And then put the location on Instagram so 10 more hikers can come out and love those baby elk to death

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back