Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Elk caliber advice

270 Winchester Featherweight, 150 gr Hornady Spire Point, scoped w/Leopold 2X7, 90% between 50 and 100 yds. Never needed to shoot farther most of the time. 308 will work well if you can shoot it.

What kind of rifle was that from?

This is my prairie dog special. Elcheapo Rem 700 varmiter, aftermarket stock glass bedded, rifle basic 9 oz trig and vortex pst with 1 piece picatinny 20 moa rail.

LC LR brass is neck turned, uniformed inside and out then weight sorted to 1/2 grain. Sized with redding bushing die and bumped one thou when resizing.

My load is SMK 168, 45.5 g varget, fed 210m. I check for bullet concentricity on every round.

Thanks again everyone for the tips. Wingman1, thats some nice shooting. ric, I thought about going with the 270 but, honestly, I don't have the need or want to buy another hunting rifle. Besides my 308, I have 3 other rifles sutiable for MNs Whitetail. (243, 35 Rem, and SKS). But, thats why asked the question to see if the 308 is capable of taking an elk at distances that I feel comfortable/confident with. Now, if the comments would have all been like Jose's, I would probably have a 270 in the safe by now.

A 308 is fine, with a good 165 to 180 grain bullet. as others have said, I would keep it 400 yards or less, being comfortable with your gun, and shooting it well is the most important thing.

Kevin

Thanks again everyone for the tips. Wingman1, thats some nice shooting. ric, I thought about going with the 270 but, honestly, I don't have the need or want to buy another hunting rifle. Besides my 308, I have 3 other rifles sutiable for MNs Whitetail. (243, 35 Rem, and SKS). But, thats why asked the question to see if the 308 is capable of taking an elk at distances that I feel comfortable/confident with. Now, if the comments would have all been like Jose's, I would probably have a 270 in the safe by now.
FWIW, if you look at the ballistic charts, for the ranges most folks shoot game at a .308 Win and a 270 WIn are nearly identical with 150gr bullets.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back