PEAX Equipment

Elk caliber advice

GSP4EVER

I have been searching for a couple of hours here on using a 308 Winchester for elk. Im not finding much. I am not trying to start a debate on which is the best caliber, so my question is, if your were to go on an elk hunt today, all you have is a 308 Winchester, would you take it.

With that in mind, whats the typical yardage that you guys shoot an elk at. I would assume that it is all depending on terrain.

What I am trying to decide is if my 308 Win loaded with heavier bullets, such as the Nosler Partitions or Accubonds, Hornady Interbonds, or Barnes Copper rounds will get the job done if I can get my shots under 250 yards, which is where I feel most comfortable at. I know shot placement is key, but isn't it the responsibility of any hunter to have good shot placement? I dont really want to buy a new rifle just for this, and even if I did I wouldnt get anything bigger than an 30.06. Im not against buying a rifle, just dont know if its necessary. Ive got 3 other rifles for Minnesotas whitetail and dont really need a fourth. It would be much different if I lived in a state where the possibility of hunting elk every year was there. I cant imagine me hunting elk more than every couple of years. If got one of the belted mags (7mm Mag or 300 Win Mag) capable of harder hit a father distances, my comfort range would still be 200-250 yards because that is the max distance I have to practice at without driving 3-4 hours one way. When using my 308, I wouldnt be worried about my shooting capabilities because I shoot pretty often. I know my rifle and how it handles. Im just beginning my reading up on hunting elk and it will be 2 years atleast before I go.

A .308 Winchester out to 400 yards, no problem.
Lots of people use the .308 for elk.

My rules of thumb for elk effective cartridges;

Shoot a bullet of at least .27 caliber (bigger is better)
Shoot a bullet weighing at least 140 grains (bigger is better)
Shoot a bullet designed to penetrate, no ballistic tips or hollow points
Hit the elk with at least 1,500 ft/lbs of energy. ( at the elk, not at the muzzle)

Looking at the Federal Premium ballistic charts, a .308 with 180 gr bullet still has 1,500+ Lbs of energy out to beyond 400 yards.
Just know where your rifle hits, put the bullet in the vitals.
I would recommend practicing at longer ranges if possible, when you can hit a target at a quarter mile, 250 yards will seem easy.
That being said, I believe more elk are taken at under 200 yards then over 200 yards.

Last edited:
Your .308 will do fine in the ranges that you specified. The .308 has killed tons of elk and both of my boys killed elk with a Rem Mod 600 with 18 1/2-inch barrel. The load that I use is 165-grain Interlocks over 45.5 grains of Varget powder. It only clocks 2550 fps, but did well on the cow elk that were shot with it.

Due to its moderate velocity, the .308 does not need real premium bullets. The Interlocks performed perfectly on all elk and deer killed with it. A Nosler Partition would also work real well, as they expand at lower velocities, while retaining the base. I personally would stay away from the Barnes on a .308, as they may not expand reliably at lower velocity.

On elk, I would hold my shots to under 300 yards with the .308. You will have no issues, as you are obviously confident with the rifle and shoot it well.

What the other two members stated is right on the money! I'm also with the "hit em with 1500 ft/lbs of energy where they stand" philosophy and have never used anything other than my 30-06s for elk with Hornady Interbond handloads. Your .308 is not too far from 30-06 ballistics and will do fine with your abilities and yardage you mentioned. Keep em under about 300 yards and good luck to ya!!!

Big Fin shoots a .308 and I haven't seen any of the elk he's shot get resurrected.

You'll be absolutely fine.

I have only shot one Elk with my .308Win. 180gr Nosler Partition the recently discontinued Federal High Energy load. Quartering toward me, Hit front shoulder (obliterated front shoulder). Bull went about 50yds before falling over.
IMG_0715.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hunt your .308 with a heavy slug and you'll be fine on Elk at reasonable hunting ranges.

Thanks fellas. Lots of good tips. Ive had my best success at accurate loads using Varget powder (its my go to). Great confidence booster for me knowing that the 308 Win will get the job done with in my comfortable limits. MK that a great pic. Thats they way I was leaning. Developing a load with the 180 grain Partition. bigeasygator, is that your video. That was awesome either way. My rifle is a Browning BLR with a Nikon BDC scope (prostaff I think). With my hand loads shooting from a rest Im just under 2" @ 200 yards and 2.25" standing free hand. But, I would probably be packing some shooting sticks or looking for a good rest while out in the field hunting. Thanks again.

Yeah, that's my video (that's me on the gun). That was basically near the Hell's Canyon area of Idaho. Sounds like you're going to have plenty of gun for the range at which you want to shoot!

2.25" @ 200yds off hand? I want your autograph...

Just kidding man. BTW like everyone said, .308 is great on elk and many have taken dirt naps by smaller calibers. Good luck on your hunt.

Do that rifle a favor and bring it out west, your gold. You are the limiting factor for this rig, which is right where you want to be.

Well...... don't be that guy. You know the 308 will kill - you might not know that the above post is intended to be humorous, and should not to be taken serious, as it is a point of view from a bad tequilla.

308 is plenty adequate and plenty accurate enough. No caliber can make up for poor shot placement. Here is my shot string from last weekend. 550 yard 1" group. (1/8 MOA)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 513
Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back