PEAX Equipment

elk bullet

texrope

What are your thoughts on using a 150 Accubond bullet for elk out of a 30-06. Would be a reload. Thanks

Put the bullet in his pump station and don't worry about it. I would maybe look into something a bit heavier but I wouldn't worry if that is what your gun shoots the best.

I use the 165 gr. Accubond and Partition out of my 30-06 and they both work exceptionally well. You should have no problem with the 150 gr. Accubond in your 30-06. If it shoots great I would stick with it. Personally though I feel that the 165 gr. is a better weight for the 30-06 in general.

Best of luck.

165 gr would be better, but the 150 gr with good shot placement will produce a dead elk.

Thanks, everyone. Had a box of these sitting around to load for deer. Usually use 189's , but might give these a try once I get the best load figured out.

Thanks, everyone. Had a box of these sitting around to load for deer. Usually use 189's , but might give these a try once I get the best load figured out.

IMR4350 and H4350 would be two very good powders with that bullet weight! I use IMR4350 with my load.

Put that round in the boiler room and it isn't gonna matter. I shot a cow last year with a 140 partition and she didn't know what hit her out of a 7mm stw. Same with an Alaskan moose and bou.

As so many before have stated "IF you put it in the boiler room...yada, yada". But God forbid, what if that shot is only 75%, or 50%, of what you expected it to be ? What about some bone along the way ? We're into a whole different story now.....

I'd tend to trust Randy's advice. At last count, I think he has dropped more than my none, so I'll listen to his field experience. The best 180's your rifle will shoot.

And to back his experience with my own, at least on deer. When I was using my 308 the 150's never failed to make a kill shot, but I always, always had to do some trailing, which was Not fun in those NC swamps. 180's usually DRT'd 'em.

Just sayin'.

As so many before have stated "IF you put it in the boiler room...yada, yada". But God forbid, what if that shot is only 75%, or 50%, of what you expected it to be ? What about some bone along the way ? We're into a whole different story now.....

I'd tend to trust Randy's advice. At last count, I think he has dropped more than my none, so I'll listen to his field experience. The best 180's your rifle will shoot.

And to back his experience with my own, at least on deer. When I was using my 308 the 150's never failed to make a kill shot, but I always, always had to do some trailing, which was Not fun in those NC swamps. 180's usually DRT'd 'em.

Just sayin'.

The only reason that the 180 would have worked better on deer, is if you hit bone. Otherwise, irrelevant. On elk, the 180 would be the better choice if there is a chance at shoulder bone. I would not hesitate to use the 150 on elk, though.

Would rather shot 180s for elk but either will do job if guy behind trigger does his.

C

If the gun shoots them well shoot them. Just know your gun and its limits with a lighter bullet and you will be fine. Like with any other bullet shot placement is critical!!

I shoot an Accubond 165g out of my grandfathers ol' Remington 721 in 30-06. Knocked down two bulls with this set up. If that's the rifle you are confident with to deliver projectile right where it counts the bull will drop. I've dropped two other elk with my .270Win shooting Accubond 140g bullets.. I like the Accubond results in my two rifles...

You can go light for caliber with Barnes X, Nosler e-tips or Hornady GMX because they retain almost all their loaded weight after impact, and get a bit more velocity and less recoil in the bargain. 150's work fine in my '06.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back