Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

New 30-06. Thinking about trying copper.

....and another for the 150 TTSX. The all-copper bullets need speed to help them open up. I've used that bullet for nearly two decades in my '06, and have taken a bunch of elk and deer with it.
Actually the need for speed is more so with penetration. Weight and velocity penetrate! The mono bullet's that seem to be always used are quite a bit lighter than lead core bullet and both penetrate about the same but the lead core seem to be more destructive. Winchester had some adds for the mono bullet they were using and made note of the fact that the plastic tip was used to help expansion. An African white hunter wrote an article on the TSX when it first came out and was concerned about the bullet's ability to expand. Claimed he'd seen a number of them that the hollow point closed entering the animal and you ended up with a solid. I saw the same thing happen with cup and core bullet's years ago. Shot some Sierra match bullet's into paper at 100yds and the yip on each closed going in. I don't figure a hollow point mono wouldn't do the same thing, especially those with a small opening in the tip. Pretty much all the mono bullet's today seem to have the plastic tip!

Actually the need for speed is more so with penetration. Weight and velocity penetrate! The mono bullet's that seem to be always used are quite a bit lighter than lead core bullet and both penetrate about the same but the lead core seem to be more destructive. Winchester had some adds for the mono bullet they were using and made note of the fact that the plastic tip was used to help expansion. An African white hunter wrote an article on the TSX when it first came out and was concerned about the bullet's ability to expand. Claimed he'd seen a number of them that the hollow point closed entering the animal and you ended up with a solid. I saw the same thing happen with cup and core bullet's years ago. Shot some Sierra match bullet's into paper at 100yds and the yip on each closed going in. I don't figure a hollow point mono wouldn't do the same thing, especially those with a small opening in the tip. Pretty much all the mono bullet's today seem to have the plastic tip!
Actually it really is about expansion. Most have a higher minimum velocity threshold than lead core bullets, so if you want to hunt to, say, 400 yards [with a 30-06], you need to lower your weight from the 180s typically used in 06s. Something more sensible (like 130-165) would let you start out faster. Penetration is hardly ever an issue with monos, if at all.

I'm sure I said something wrong, but that's the gist of it.

I've seen some pretty impressive results with my dad's and the 168 TTSX... from white tail to hogs. It was the bullet JJHack used in his loaner rifle for African hunting from what i remember.

I have a new 30-06 that I don’t have much ammo for. I’ve never shot copper bullets, so I thought this might be a good time to try some. I will be using this as an all around rifle for elk, deer, and pronghorn. Any recommendations on some factory ammo that I could try? What grain bullet would you suggest?
I use these but for 308. Work great and shoot great. I recommend them. I shoot 165's for everything myself and I hunt the same game you have listed. I think you'll love the performance of the copper plus the reduction in meat loss due to lead beating up the meat

Another vote for the Barnes 150 TTSX. My wife, son, and father in-law all took mule deer last season and I was very impressed with the performance. All 3 died within view of the point of impact. 50' or less. Excellent expansion and very good accuracy. It was our first experience with all copper bullets.

I'd get a box each of the Barnes 150 and 168TTSX and see which one you rifle likes best and then stock up if you don't reload. Think I heard that the 168 had a lower opening threshold, but my mind is old, and some days I have CRS:)
I remember reading this too. I think it used to be on Barnes’ FAQ but I can’t find it anymore. 165gr version was optimized in the ogive for .300WM and WSM. 168gr was optimized for .308 and .30-06 with a lower expansion threshold. If I remember correctly it was 1500fps vs the 1800fps for the 165. Could be misremembering this though.

I'd get a box each of the Barnes 150 and 168TTSX and see which one you rifle likes best and then stock up if you don't reload. Think I heard that the 168 had a lower opening threshold, but my mind is old, and some days I have CRS:)
I remember reading this too. I think it used to be on Barnes’ FAQ but I can’t find it anymore. 165gr version was optimized in the ogive for .300WM and WSM. 168gr was optimized for .308 and .30-06 with a lower expansion threshold. If I remember correctly it was 1500fps vs the 1800fps for the 165. Could be misremembering this though.
Yes, I also remember hearing that the 168 is designed to open at a lower velocity than the 165. It was on Barnes' website, and also on a Youtube video about Barnes bullets where Ms. Barnes (??) or another female person from Barnes explained the rationale of lower velocities in the .308 Win and the 30/06 (compared to the magnums) led them to design the 168 TTSX. I use it in my 30/06 for a back-up elk rifle if my .340 Wby craps out on my annual Chama trip.

Last edited:
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back