Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Elk Bullet

I havebeen shooting my 270wsm and my 7mm with different bullets and nothing does better in accuracy than the Partions for me . I also have abunch of them I bought from Nosler Pro Shop.as seconds when they are gone I may go back to Hornady inter locks.

it's tough to beat the cost of SPS factory seconds. I'm shooting partitons @ $0.32/bullet that's about the same as hornady firsts.

140gr Partitions in my 270. I need to develop loads for my 7mm-08, 7mmRemMag, 30-06 & 300WSM but they are all going to be Noslers.

Last edited:
The first time I bought Seconds from Nosler ,I was reluctent to use them ,but from my experience there is not a thing the matter with them.Maybe some discoloring ,but not bad and they shoot great.I have bought 1000's since then.

I will be using 180 Nosler Partitions in my 300 WM but, I'm also taking my 7mm-08 which shoots 156 grain Norma Oryx very accurately at a MV of about 2700 fps. The 7mm-08 is on the small side for elk but should do fine if I keep my shots under 300 yards and even better under 250 yards.

The first time I bought Seconds from Nosler ,I was reluctent to use them ,but from my experience there is not a thing the matter with them.Maybe some discoloring ,but not bad and they shoot great.I have bought 1000's since then.

If there was something wrong with them, they could not sell them. They are as good as firsts, but they have blems etc. My 7 mag shoots Nosler 160 Parts into half minute at 3004 fps.

If there was something wrong with them, they could not sell them. They are as good as firsts, but they have blems etc. My 7 mag shoots Nosler 160 Parts into half minute at 3004 fps.

the only actual problem i have had with them in 1000's of rounds i have loaded them in would be the accubond tips are sometimes deformed slightly or are real brittle and break off. i usually sort before i do hunt loads; good ones go hunting others get used at range, works just fine that way. never had any real bad partitions from them, just some cosmetic issues. great deals and they do a military/first responder discount.

C

I was looking for some 160 partitions but at that time they only had 150 so I bought 8 box's of the 150 .Very good bullet. Probably no elk will know the difference..

the only actual problem i have had with them in 1000's of rounds i have loaded them in would be the accubond tips are sometimes deformed slightly or are real brittle and break off. i usually sort before i do hunt loads; good ones go hunting others get used at range, works just fine that way. never had any real bad partitions from them, just some cosmetic issues. great deals and they do a military/first responder discount.

C
where can I get some of the second run?

C

I have heard of this problem. I have only shot the 140 ab and I have not had a single one break.

The only rifle that I have that does not shoot Partitions, is a recently-purchased Ruger American .308. I have put 150 rounds of 165s through it with several powders, change in seating depth etc., and it plain will not shoot Partitions. Interlocks are better and 150 Interlocks shoot 1/2 minute @ 2934 fps.

180gr Fed Trophy Copper BT out of my 30-06 for my combo mule deer/elk hunt this year. They are best of all worlds...excellent BC for longer shots, almost immediate expansion for takedown yet tough as nails through and through! My Savage 114 loves em also!!!

I've been shooting some cheap rounds of 150 & 165 grain bullets through my .308 just to get comfortable with shooting, but there are so many options for when I actually hunt and at this point it's a lot of white noise.

My co-workers use Barnes, but curious as to what you guys think for a .308, or if it really even differs that much from a 7mm or 30-06.

What type of situations would you use a higher grain count for? And when I deer hunt should I use a lower grain count?

Questions from a newb. Thanks guys.

I only shoot Barnes TSX bullets now on all big game. I have never had one let me down. I have never found one that had even lost a petal. They have the best weight retention of any bullets I have used. I used to shoot partitions, and every one I ever recovered had lost the front lead core, which represents around 40% of the mass if I remember right. Like all controlled expansion bullets there are no giant gaping holes, though. Hit them right and they are superior in my opinion.

I've been shooting some cheap rounds of 150 & 165 grain bullets through my .308 just to get comfortable with shooting, but there are so many options for when I actually hunt and at this point it's a lot of white noise.

My co-workers use Barnes, but curious as to what you guys think for a .308, or if it really even differs that much from a 7mm or 30-06.

What type of situations would you use a higher grain count for? And when I deer hunt should I use a lower grain count?

Questions from a newb. Thanks guys.

Personally, I'd go with a 150 grain Barnes for everything. Everyone has their opinions and preferences on bullets. I've been using Barnes for about 12 years now, without one single negative result.

Today's superior bullet technology has rendered the heavier bullet argument somewhat obsolete. Unless you are shooting long range and need the higher sectional density and ballistic coefficient, you'll be very well served with 150-168 grain bullets for anything you'll shoot in Montana.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back