Elk Bullet

Are you using those Barnes in a .308? How do they perform on game past 300 yards? I would be a little skeptical on expansion at extended ranges with the all-copper at .308 velocities.

I use them in a .243 ( 85 grain), a .338-06 (185 grain), and a 30-06 (150 grain or 130 grain w/ reduced loads).

The recoil on the 325 is not bad, I hunted for years with the Remington 660 in 350 caliber. I have a Kimber

I normally practice consistently shooting at 200 yards. I'll step that out to 300 yards before I head to Colorado in November.

Good luck with the Browning.

In the unit I will be hunting my cow elk,i will be using my 270WSM with 130 grain partitions. In the unit that I will be hunting for my bull elk ,I will shooting my 7MM Mag with 150 grain partitions.

I had to use a non lead bullet during a government hunt a few years back and so I put a round together using Nosler E-Tip 180 grains. Needless to say I liked the bullet so much I am still using it on Elk. I have never been a fan of Barnes but I believe that is more because of my rifles than anything.

I've been shooting some cheap rounds of 150 & 165 grain bullets through my .308 just to get comfortable with shooting, but there are so many options for when I actually hunt and at this point it's a lot of white noise.

My co-workers use Barnes, but curious as to what you guys think for a .308, or if it really even differs that much from a 7mm or 30-06.

What type of situations would you use a higher grain count for? And when I deer hunt should I use a lower grain count?

Questions from a newb. Thanks guys.

Nicole, both 150 and 165gr. are good weights for your gun. I personally like a bonded or premium bullet such as a Barnes X, Nosler Accubond, Nosler Partition, Swift Scirroco, Trophy Copper, Hornady GMX, etc. for elk.
Following that, regular soft points such as Remington Corelokts would get my nod. I personally try to avoid rapid expansion bullets such as Hornady SST, Nosler Ballistic tips or other rapid expansion bullets marketed exclusively for "thin skinned game".
Your gun will tell you which bullet it shoots the best. Which ever weight or brand of bullets your gun groups best with is the right one for you. Don't worry about changing weight for different animals.

I only shoot Barnes TSX bullets now on all big game. I have never had one let me down. I have never found one that had even lost a petal. They have the best weight retention of any bullets I have used. I used to shoot partitions, and every one I ever recovered had lost the front lead core, which represents around 40% of the mass if I remember right. Like all controlled expansion bullets there are no giant gaping holes, though. Hit them right and they are superior in my opinion.

Losing the front core is exactly how a Partition is supposed to work. The front expands like a conventional bullet, shedding bits of core that increase damage and quicken the kill. The rear drives through for penetration and an exit. Its kind of the best of both worlds.

I shoot 168 grain Winchester silver tips in my 30.06. I originally bought the 180 grain Nosler Partition but the accuracy was lacking so I dropped down to the 168 gr. and am driving tacks.

7mm Remington Magnum, Nosler Partitions, 175 gr. I have never had an animal take a step after being hit.

By the way, I inadvertently bought a box of 7mm STWs instead of 7mm Rem Mags. What to do?

I did try some Barnes X a couple weekends ago through the 30.06 and the gun ate them up. And Gerald Martin provides excellent insight above, and I use 180's.

IMO you cannot go wrong with Barnes TSX or TTSX bullets. My dad shot a 1,000# moose at 100 yards through the brisket with his 7mm and the moose dropped 70 yards away. You cannot ask for better results. The bullet was found with almost no weight loss.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back