Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Elk and deer shoulder mounts

mdunc8

Just wondering how much everyone on here pays for elk, deer, and antelope shoulder mounts. Nothing crazy, just the normal mount with wooden plaque. I'm just curious what the going rate is. It's been about 10 years since I've had one done and I wanted to make sure I don't overpay for the mounts I plan on having done next year. I'd be curious to hear how much Big Fin and others paid for their pedestal mounts. My wife is limiting my mounts to our office (unless I get lucky and drop a big elk, which will only fit in our stairwell) and I'm starting to run out of wall space. I've never seen one in person, but they look pretty nice. My dad and I do some woodworking on our own, so we wouldn't need to buy the pedestal.

No body really does shoulder mounts on plaques that I know of, but I'm sure you could get one done if you really wanted.

I've had two deer shoulder mounts done and paid right around 550 for each. I found cheaper guys that would do it in Missoula, but I like the work that my guy does.

We looked into shoulder mounts on elk when my girlfriend had a pretty good tag a couple years ago, they were running right around a grand.

I'm probably done on plain shoulder mounts, unless I ever decide I want to get a big bull done at some point. I'd still like to get an antelope and an early season deer of each species done, but will probably go with either pedestal or one of the floating wall mounts with a turned in shoulder (no idea what they're called).

mdunc8,

For standard wall mounts, not pedestals, it ranges from 450-600 for deer and 900-1200 for elk around here.

If you are willing to wait a long time, the guy out your way does the best work in the valley. His prices are so low, relative to the quality, he will always be really, really, busy.

Here are the prices paid for these, the last three critters I have had mounted. This costs do not include the pedestals:

$400
IMG_4474.JPG

$375
IMG_3462.JPG

$375
IMG_2602.JPG

I have a buddy I work with do my mounts. He's done several for me already - 1 was a pedestal mount.

$200 - this year he raised it to $300 for my second pedestal mount that should be done in a few weeks.

He only does about 2 dozen a year, part time.

Fin, those are bargain basement prices for crap work. I can't believe you're getting that kind of quality for that price.

I would expect to pay $550-$800 for a good deer shoulder mount, $500-$650 for an antelope, and $900-$1,200 for an elk. Pedestal prices depend on what kind of base you use. This one cost me $800 for the mount and $400 for the base:

Mount-1.jpg

Holy crap Oak, that is an absolutely gorgeous mount.

BF,

Can you post the scores on those two pronghorn again? I can't remember what they were...I love the one on the bottom.

I do all my own, except I pay another taxi to do my tanning. All and all it cost me about 100$ plus my time

Is there anything is should wipe down my mounts with them to help protect them and keep them looking new? I thought I remember seeing something on tv for shinning up the antlers.

For those of you that have done taxidermy work, how much does the materials cost?

I had 30 in the tanning and around 50 in the form. Then I would guess another 20-30 maybe in clay and other materials. I had a friend help me who is a taxi, so I 'm not totally sure of all the costs. All I know is that when you figure in the caping, fleshing and all the other crap that goes into one the taxidermist is earning his money. Especially Fin's at those prices.

I'm still a little suspect on Fin's prices and return time. He's got to be offering up some sort of special side services or money.;) He gets his back way faster than most. I still have a bear that has been there for 3 years.:eek: I haven't bugged him about it and am sure he would start on it if I got after him. I want to get a good deal as well so I don't pester him. He has traded me for capes of elk and deer in the past for euro mounts. I really like him and get along with him well.

Fin & Oak those are both smoking deals. Fin, any idea if the guy you used would crate & ship? Oak, I paid what you paid for the mount and base for just my mount...and that was with the friend discount, oh and then there was shipping.

picture.php

Fin & Oak those are both smoking deals. Fin, any idea if the guy you used would crate & ship? Oak, I paid what you paid for the mount and base for just my mount...and that was with the friend discount, oh and then there was shipping.

picture.php

That sheep mount is still worth more than however many dollars you might have paid for it. Beautiful.

If ever Oak needs a place to store his sheep mount, I can put some of my items in storage and make room here.

As far as the taxi I use here in MT, he does all the work for the hunters on Ted Turner's ranches around here, which means he is shipping things all over. He also does a lot of work for clients of most the big name outfitters I know of around here. Not sure how he does this work, at this price, but I am glad to wait for his final product.

I am sure he will ship. He also receives a lot of stuff shipped to him, which he is obviously crating and shipping when he is done. Not sure what his turnaround and price is for work he does for people out of this area.

Can gladly give you his contact info, if you want it.

My taxidermist charges 575 for deer and antelope and between 900-1200 on elk depending on size. Any custom work is going to cost to another 150-200 dollars.

Lawnboy- Thanks for the info. Reason I asked is that I need a cold weather activity and have thought about trying my hand at doing some work myself. But, I didn't want to give it try if it was gonna be too expensive.

Fin, assuming I am successful in Sept w/ my first Wy lope hunt, I will surely need that contact info from you. Beautiful work! I'm used to waiting over a year for my mounts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back