Yeti GOBOX Collection

Elevation training mask?

michsteelguy

Well, I was flipping thru TV channels last night and came across a story.... (no, not an infomercial), about these devices and how they benefit ones overall health, weight loss, breathing, stamina, and lung capacity. I want to say it was on CNBC. At first glance, it may seem to be a little hokey (and looks odd), but I was wondering if anyone has ever used something like this? If so, did it improve your health as they claim?
I live in Michigan (flat land) so I dont have the applicable terrain at my disposal for workouts, but I thought that this MAY be the next best thing when training for western hunting at elevation. Obviously it wont compare to real world applications, but I thought "what can it hurt"? Any thoughts, actual users, or comments (be nice).....? Heres the device.....

http://www.trainingmask.com/training-mask-2-0/
http://www.trainingmask.com/the-science/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1prM0vEFqE

*** alot of videos show crossfit, MMA, etc., usage but I suppose its all the same as altitude training.

They don't work.

If you are actually serious about it, you need to invest in a tent for your bedroom that will actually lower the oxygen in the room that you sleep at night.

http://altitudetraining.com/main/sports/products/uncontrolled/cat430

Those cost $$ and some folks think even they really don't help much.

The best option is to just get in good shape and if possible go a few days early to help adjust.

I'm not a doctor, but I would never put that thing on and exercise. If it's that big of a deal for you just budget and extra 2 - 3 days for your hunting trips to acclimate. Or move.

I'm not a doctor, but I would never put that thing on and exercise. If it's that big of a deal for you just budget and extra 2 - 3 days for your hunting trips to acclimate. Or move.
I was inquiring more about helping breathing capabilities while trekking up a mountain side (@ elevation)..... not just acclimation.

I sea lot of mma guys use it in their trainging.I've been thinking of one also.I come from east coast and the breathing at that much a change in altitude is tough,and you won't acclimate to that quickly.I do think there are other ways to rstrict your oxygen intake while training.I will be doing something along the lines of this for my training this year.I would do it slowly with the amount of restricted breathing you do at 1st,and slowly build it up.Just usual walking in the mountains has never been my trouble but when you hit a steep incline or have to move fast to cut them off you can really get huffing and puffing
Maybe go on an mma site and ask for their suggestions on how to doit without buying the mask.Those guys have to doit all the time when they are booked to fight somewhere with much higher altitudes from where they train.Let me know what they suggest

To me the best indication that these don't work is the fact that none of the world class long distance runners use them. Not even any of the regular joe runners who live in Texas or Michigan and run the high altitude trail races like the Leadville 100 and crazy stuff like that use them. The best way to condition your lungs to deliver oxygen to your body over sustained periods of time are by running long distances. These masks are a gimmick.

Restricting your breathing doesn't do anything to develop additional red blood cells that are needed to transfer that oxygen to your muscles. Running long slow distances actually changes how your bodies blood and heart perform and makes it much more efficient at delivering the oxygen to where it is needed.

The limiting factor is hardly ever getting oxygen into the lungs, it is getting it to the muscles through your blood stream.

I have no comment on if they actually work but I've seen guys using similar at Tough Mudder events. My concern is if somebody saw you running down the road with one of these on and though some terrorist attack was about to happen.

The key is to allow sufficient time for acclimatization to higher altitude. There is no substitute for it, regardless of your physical conditioning.

The key is to allow sufficient time for acclimatization to higher altitude. There is no substitute for it, regardless of your physical conditioning.

This ^

However, being in tip top shape will never hurt you on a western hunt.

But can you imagine running around the neighborhood in that thing scaring the living hell out of everyone?!....lol

Time

What you guys that live out west in higher altitudes don't seem to understand is,
when you come from 850' elevation in my case, and hunt from 6000' to 8000' or more,
And I get there 5 days early and it helps,
but by no means can I do what I do at home, granted I am getting older 62, but I workout 3 days a week year around to stay in decent shape, and I try to go to a everyday workout starting August 1, for my late October hunt.
But it really takes your body a couple of months to really adjust to the lack of oxygen at higher elevations.
From what I have been told, going from sea level up to 7000' you lose 30% of the oxygen in the air, that is huge, when your not use to it.

I did a Google search for reviews on the mask last night, and read over 50 reviews, most were positive by far, saying that it helped there overall endurance.
the main negative of the mask was for the fit of it, but most of that was on the old style.
and it also said it takes some getting use too, with it making it harder to breath it said it can cause some panic until you get use to it.

Kevin

Last edited:

Over the years no matter what I have done to get in shape physically the above statement has proven the best advise.

I have also found that during the acclimation you don't want to over exert or completely rest. If I stay hydrated during that time and after and just maintain an active but mild routine it seems to have served me best for when I am under more physical stress at altitude.

What you guys that live out west in higher altitudes don't seem to understand is,
when you come from 850' elevation in my case, and hunt from 6000' to 8000' or more,
And I get there 5 days early and it helps,
but by no means can I do what I do at home, granted I am getting older 62, but I workout 3 days a week year around to stay in decent shape, and I try to go to a everyday workout starting August 1, for my late October hunt.
But it really takes your body a couple of months to really adjust to the lack of oxygen at higher elevations.
From what I have been told, going from sea level up to 7000' you lose 30% of the oxygen in the air, that is huge, when your not use to it.

I did a Google search for reviews on the mask last night, and read over 50 reviews, most were positive by far, saying that it helped there overall endurance.
the main negative of the mask was for the fit of it, but most of that was on the old style.
and it also said it takes some getting use too, with it making it harder to breath it said it can cause some panic until you get use to it.

Kevin

I go from 17 ft elevation...with my 73 year old father and 69 year old uncle. Camp at 9500. You hunt slower and make the most of the elevation you gain...Don't give up altitude unless you have to.

There have been stories of bomb scares etc with the altitude masks. Full on SWAT callouts. Don't be that guy....

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back