Election time in A-land

EODRay

Figured it was time for an update from the war front. I have moved out of the west to a new camp (Apache). It has been much busier here than it was in the West. The national elections are coming up shortly and we have been busy trying to secure the polling area around here. My new team of Green Beret's are another good group of guys working hard to get the job done.

The Taliban always step up there efforts to disrupt things around election time so the next few weeks should be busier than ever. The worst 10 day of my life were during the 2004 elections. It was the first ever free elections in this country and I wasn't sure I would make it out alive……..but I did. Just today, an IED hit a vehicle from another team. Three Green Beret's were seriously injured. Another SF Soldier and a fellow EOD tech were medivac'd out as well. They will all live. I just mention it to reiterate that these kinds of things still happen on a daily basis but they seldom make the news any more.

My only complaint with the new team is that these clowns do very long dismounted missions all the time. Carrying 90+ lbs for 20+ Kilometers is no longer my idea of a good time. When they start shooting, I don't even run for cover…….I walk. LOL Too tired to run. :W:

Haven't even been taking that many pictures but since I know how much everybody loves pictures, here are some.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
My wife hates my beard and says that I look like a leprechaun
6.jpg
7.jpg

Thank you for your service. I hope things go well during the elections and you and your companions stay safe.
Seeing the pictures of you "5 star Hotel" makes me want to punch anyone in the throat that complains about our prisons being inhumane.

Keep your head down and stay safe Ray!

As a fellow redbeard, I appreciate the humor in the leprechaun comment from your wife.I get the same remark.

We'll have a beer when you're back in town.

Thank you for your service. I hope things go well during the elections and you and your companions stay safe.
Seeing the pictures of you "5 star Hotel" makes me want to punch anyone in the throat that complains about our prisons being inhumane.

You know, I was talking to an interpreter (Afghan national) back in 2005 about this subject. He told me that he doesn't understand how we fight and win wars. He said, you treat your enemies better than the Taliban treats their own people. He worked at Guantanamo Bay detention facility. He said that he knew of prisoners that would pretend to know more than they did just so they wouldn't be released. They get three meals a day, don't get beat, are allowed their prayer time and were protected. That was better than they lived at home. :mad:
I told him that Guantanamo Bay was a big controversy back in the States because people think that it is terrible there. He just shook his head and said "That's crazy. I don't understand it".

BTW, I was glad to stay in that room on that mission. It's way better than sleeping on the rocks on top of a mountain somewhere. :D

[QUOTEWe have the same crocs Ray.[/QUOTE]

They are the greatest combat shower shoe ever invented. They keep the mud off of your feet coming and going to the shower way better than flip flops. They also keep the sea monkeys off of your feet in the shower. :eek:

MRE's are magically delicious

You know it John. I tried to eat one when I was home one time several years ago and thought…….this crap is nasty. They seem to be OK in the field or hunting though.

Keep your head down and stay safe Ray!

As a fellow redbeard, I appreciate the humor in the leprechaun comment from your wife.I get the same remark.

We'll have a beer when you're back in town.

Wish we could have that beer now Zack. :roll eyes:

I definitely want to get together with as many Hunt Talkers as I can when I get back. I won't be back in time for that black bear hunt they have going on. It sounds like a good time. Might try to schedule a "Great Prairie Dog Slaughter" (since that's about all that will be in season) or something like that for the guys that are in the Colorado area.

I will be getting a new assignment soon and will probably have to move away from Colorado within three months of coming home. :mad: Should be home in the early part of May.

Thanks again for your service and hope you're staying safe. I'm really interested in learning more about what you guys need to do to secure the polling areas (who decides where they'll be, etc) and what the T-bags do to disrupt the voting process.

your days over there are getting fewer and fewer so stay safe. Thanks again for your and all of your fellow servicemen and women's bravery!

Thanks again for your service and hope you're staying safe. I'm really interested in learning more about what you guys need to do to secure the polling areas (who decides where they'll be, etc) and what the T-bags do to disrupt the voting process.

In 2004 (first elections) the US pretty much decided where all the polling sites would be. They were placed near the most heavily populated areas but far enough out (when possible) that they would be easier to defend. 2004 is also when they graduated the very first Platoon of Afghan National Army. So we were still doing everything.

Since then, there has been a slow transition to giving the Afghans more of the lead and us backing off incrementally. That first year, we had troops that guarded the area for 10 days. A week before the elections, we moved into the area and did patrols trying to disrupt any plans the T-bags had. It was the most sustained and furious combat I have ever seen in my 18 years in the military. The Taliban pulled out all the stops to try and keep the elections from happening.

The very first night we got to our spot there was a huge gunfight where we had 9 of our guys shot. It should have been way more but we were lucky. If you can call 9 guys getting shot lucky. We were just starting to get up-armored HMMWV's in country. The dropped two off to us the next day by helicopter. I was still driving my non armored HMMWV with about 300 lbs of C-4, Det cord, blasting caps, etc etc in the back. If I would have hit an IED, I would have been a pink mist. They hit the truck in front of me once and the one behind me the next time….they just never got me.

One of the up armored vehicles hit an IED the day we got it……we were down to one. The very next day, we turned a corner and there was a guy standing in the middle of the road with an RPG. He shot it right into the drivers window. Somehow the driver only got some cuts from the windshield but the 1LT sitting in the back got his whole bottom jaw ripped off. Then they ambushed us from both sides. Somehow that LT lived as well. And that's how it went for 10 day straight. During the elections, they came in with suicide bombers, RPG's, machine guns and 107mm rockets from the hillsides. Still the people came out and the elections happened. We don't have any of that to worry about in the states and people still don't vote…..blows my mind. Sorry for the rambling…..back to the topic

Now the T-bags try to assassinate high level officials. They have gotten away from the direct assaults agains US forces…….for the most part. They finally realized that wasn't such a good plan for them. There are many more Afghan forces running around these days. There is Afghan National Police (ANP), Afghan National Army (ANA), National Defense Team (NDT), Afghan Local Police (ALP), Afghan National Army Special Forces (ANASF), Civil Mine Reduction Group (CMRG) and Commando's. Sounds fearsome doesn't it.

This is the first year that we will be giving them the reigns so to speak. The next week or so, we will be going out to the various sites and patrolling the area to deny enemy movement….in partnership with the local forces. During the elections, it's supposed to be them guarding the areas. We are supposed to just be on standby as a Quick Reaction Force (QRF). It hasn't been decided yet if my team will be responding from here or an ANA camp that's closer to the voting site (former FOB Lane). If we move to the elections site, I will be spending more time in that room that I called a 5 star hotel (picture above). I vote for responding from here…….but that wasn't up for a vote. LOL

That was a long winded reply to your question….and I'm still not sure that I answered it very well.

"Should be home in the early part of May."

having followed most of your posts/reports, have to say, this is the best news you have ever given.

stay safe and thank you for all you do and have done.

Thanks for the details 0 that wasn't long-winded at all. I really find it very interesting - especially when it centers around elections. You're right about our citizens voting, although I sometimes wonder if I want many of the people I meet to get out and vote.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back