EBAY, Jonsportshop, and my BOW purchase

Sytes

I thought I would make this an experience for others to view and to evaluate the activity of this seller. The responses will be quoted as received. I have provided a link to this post to Jonsportshop in fairness.
EBAY - Jonsportshop is the same as the actual store:
Jons Sport Shop
2968 Jackson Street
Oshkosh, WI 54901-1268
(920) 233-5533

Hopefully this will be a win / win for both Jonsportshop and I. We all understand accidents can happen - it is how the accident is resolved that prevails. Jonsportshop can proudly walk away as a winner in the aspect of satisfying me as a customer and thus potentially gaining customers seeing this experience as backing up their customer's purchase or...

The item I won via competing bid (AUCTION) on June 14th:
!BvTz-+!BWk~$(KGrHqJ,!jYEv1+0FPMLBME!d,p4hQ~~_35.JPG

BRAND NEW RH FRED BEAR LIGHTS OUT BOW 29" 60-70#
This is my first received communication from Jonsportshop on June 17th:
Dear XXX,
there is a issue with your purchase. I had relisted this bow by accident because I am out of stock of the 60-70# pound bows. I do have 50-60# bows in stock that I could send you. If you are planning to shoot anything less than 68 pounds a 50-60# pound bow will be faster anyway. Let me know if you would like a 50-60 pound bow or if you would like a refund. I am sorry for the mixup.
- jonsportshop
As this was an Auction - I am not currently interested in a refund. I purchased this at an auction price and would like an item of like or greater respected "rating" than the bow sold that is not available to me, now.

My response:
Dear Jonsportshop,
Thank you for the communication on the incident you relayed. The bow you advertised is what I purchased. As you and I know, accidents can happen - it is how the accident is resolved that prevails. I would be satisfied if you offered some alternative options for a 60-70# bow of an equal or greater *respected rating* to the one you sold though unable to follow through with your sale. Please understand, I did not state *value* as this was an auction price. Mutually agreed upon rating of a bow from respected sites would work fine for me. If you happen to locate the bow I purchased I would obviously be very happy. I am not trying to take advantage of your accident in the interest of customer satisfaction - rather find something you and I would agree to be a fair trade for the comparable *rating* of a Fred Bear Lights Out bow. I will update our communication on a hunting web site forum. This can be a win/win for us versus a frustrated former customer. Site:
Added: as the space ran out in the ebay respond - I sent a second response with the link here:
Dear jonsportshop,
To ensure accuracy for you to review:
http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?p=2122138#post2122138
I will update as we hopefully find a mutually satisfying resolution. Thank you.
Sincerely,
XXX
I will update as information is made known.

Last edited:
I am a MONSTER FAN of Fred Bear compound bows. I hadn't really thought of switching to the common PSE's though this PSE seems to hold decent specs. Hopefully he has something of Fred Bear comparable that would be my first choice. I have alway held on the 60+# range and have little desire to drop that down to the 50#+ range.
Sent this - this evening. Hopefully something can be worked out. This would be the Bow only - I really don't need a package - I am pretty current on my setup now - just going to switch her over.
Here are a couple bows in the same general rating range w/o going into the high dollar type.
Do you have any of the below in stock? RH 60-70# 28-31":

1. Fred Bear Archery Strike RH
2. PSE Brute LT

If so, would you be interested in converting my auction win of the "Lights Out" for one of these two?

Last edited:
On a normal thread, I would have taken the lower quote and made somethnig out of it :

- I really don't need a package - I am pretty current on my setup now -

But since you're on a serious note, I wont ;)

Interesting, and good luck !!

Haha! Thanks Moosie :)

That could really spin south... I "tell" myself I am pretty current. ;)

The guy has a very high seller rating. Sounds like he made an honest mistake. He offered you your money back. End of transaction. Maybe possibly watch his future auctions for the bow you are looking for.

Not sure why you would keep after him about it? Shit happens, you should just be happy you didn't lose your money in this deal. Far more worse ebay stories out there........

Great example why I prefer to buy local. Sure it costs more but what doesn't these days.... ; )

Interesting take on it Wyo. He does have a high seller rating - thus the reason for the confidence in a no hassle purchase via EBAY... You find local sales to be comfortable - Jon's Sport Shop does local as well as EBAY. His business depends on buyers such as myself and others here who may on occasion shop EBAY...
I believe I clearly stated accidents happen, it is how the accident is resolved that prevails. I believe we all understand such. I have made absolutely NO comment adverse towards him. IN FACT, as stated, I believe this may be a win/win - pending his decision. I have only sought for a mutually agreeable bow of equal ratings.

You speak of his offer for a refund. Wyo - while I agree the refund was offered, this is a completed sale of an AUCTION. the $$$ value is not what was sold... it was an Auction he initiated... an Auction - I competed in bidding angainst other(s)... and after the duration of time - I won the auction for this Compound bow.

I believe in the interest of "best" business practice - he would be inclined to find a reasonable exchange for a bow fitting the bow he sold to me - though due to this inventory accident - he no longer has my bow to fulfill his sale.

It is my intent to find a means to satisfy my initial involvement with Jon's Sport Shop and satisfy Jon's Sport Shop in promoting a public interest of supporting sales made to customers.

Look at it this way, as a ficticious example: Cabela's auctions a bow for some benefit. I am the winner of the auction. I go to the store to pick it up... however due to an inventory issue, Cabela's no longer has the bow... Sure, they could offer me a refund for my bid... OR satisfy me and them by finding a comparable bow to fulfill the already purchased agreement.

Hope this helps. Again - I look forward to finding a "MUTUALLY" agreeable conclusion to this accident.

Last edited:
Sytes,
You still have me lost. He doesn't have the bow. And now you are saying finding a bow comparable to the one you "won"? That doesn't even make sense.

I would be pissed if I was offered another brand instead of the original. Wouldn't a customer such as you who knows what one he want to just get their money back and possibly purchase it somewhere else?

In the best interest of Jon's Sports shop he would be better to just give you a refund. Your most likely a one time buyer. You probably will not be doing continued business with him. If you were a loyal customer he probably WOULD go out of his way and get you a bow which would most likely result in a LOSS for him.

Now I know in an ideal world you would say they should treat every customer the same. But your a one time buyer.

Let me ask you this. If I bid a kitchen remodel for you do you expect it to stay at the bid even though once we open up the walls etc there is a lot more wrong?

Or if I get the job done for under the bid are you ok with me keeping the extra money?

Just the TIME alone it would take him to make it what you call "win win" will result in a loss for him.

Just take the refund :D

I hate rainy days ;)

Last edited:
Suppose we simply disagree. I believe there is a significant difference between a contractor "bid" for a remodel and an EBAY Auction. There is no further negotiation. It is a done deal... Except... in this situation ~ when an accident occurrs. Haha! :D

If it turns he has nothing that would be mutually agreeable in respect to bows... I certainly will seek my refund. HOWEVER, my interest is in a bow. If he wants to be the seller of that bow - I would like to be the buyer. I believe by my statement, I trust this is an accident, an inventory oops - otherwise I would certainly want a refund and get out of dodge - so to speak. Seeing this is a reputable seller... I would like to find a bow I value...

In fact, if it comes to having a bow though it would be more out of pocket for him... I would be willing to consider paying more to get that bow... I would hope though in this offer, it will also be considered upon the retail value of the bow I won... (versus the auction win value) otherwise, I might as well simply go to a store and get it there - and exit EBAY purchases in the future. Save me the shipping charges, etc. Jon's Sport Shop advertises on EBAY to expand their clientele...
I would hope he would treat me as a customer he would want to sell to again - I know I would seek his sales out knowing he took care of me after he ran into the problem with his inventory. - corrected it and satisfied me. I would know, I am safe shopping him in the future. Not only that though sharing my story of how he took care of an issue versus, simply dumping a former customer... as we all do - may comfort others towards shopping him on EBAY.

If he (a staff member) is viewing this, I actually like the looks and specs of the Fred Bear Strike more now... If interested, and considering retail value of the "Lights Out"... If this "Strike" costs a bit more - I am willing to continue my business with him. I'll have to pass this option on to him.

I do agree with you, wyo... it is much safer to do business in person at a store... Though, for an EBAY seller such as Jon's Sport Shop - I would hope this would be his key to ensuring customers are satisfied - regardless an inventory accident... ;)

Last edited:
The end result:

I spoke with Jon's Sport Shop not more than 1/2hr ago. We spoke of other bows. He made attempts to find another Lights Out bow and was still in the process. He offered some comparable bows - though I am a Fred Bear fan... and he did not have a Strike nor the Lights Out in stock.
Refund talk:
As pleasant as can be desired! I saw a review of Jon's Sport Shop stating it took a month to get their money back... NOT THE CASE ~ though that certainly had me concerned. This concern reduced as he stated I would receive my refund immediately. True to his word, I ALREADY have my full refund in in less than 10 minutes verified via my PayPal account! FANTASTIC - this was my biggest fear and now eliminted.

Final review of my experience with Jon's Sport Shop:
I did not get the bow I purchased. My concluded experience is it was an honest mistake of their inventory. They made attempts to find another bow. They offered comparable bows to meet my request of options. In the end, they refunded my payment in full - IMMEDIATELY. For an online purchase situation, a few states away from eachother - they accomodated my requests - I am as satisfied as the situation permits.

End result:
I purchased a Fred Bear Strike 2010
http://www.beararcheryproducts.com/bows/compound/strike/
strike-rth-zoom.jpg

I bought this package for $419.00 Conclusion, I got this package close to $100 less than MSRP. It is a good step up from the Lights Out and price wise, a bit more - though hopefully there will be a pic of "her" resting against a nice ELK. We can all dream. haha!

Let me know how you like it Sytes.
As soon as I save up just a little more cash, I'm planning on picking up the same bow.

Glad everything worked out for you.;)

...Now, since its been a few years since I looked at new bows; what in the world are those two bent rods that are at the top and bottom of the bow, and what do they do..:confused:?

They look like they hold the string steady maybe, but what happens when you release; does the string hit the tip of them?

Neat looking bow, but those things got me scratching my head:eek:?!

Moe

The curved rods stop the string on the forward movement and keep the twang to a minimum. I have the Truth II and it is the quietest bow I have ever dealt with.

I agree with Sytes that there is a country mile between an ebay auction for a good (which is a set item) and bidding on a service (which has many variables) and think his approach was fair.

Unfortunately, many businesses auction items on ebay that they "may" have in stock by end of auction. They simply keep these items in play for in-store walk-ins and if it's not sold, then they have it available for the ebay auction winner. They're hedging their bets, but in these cases it's not an honest auction as the item "may" be available. I had the same thing happen for a 1 man pontoon that I was the winning bidder for. After they said it was not in stock, I ended up buying a float tube from another seller. The onus should be on the seller to make sure the item they are auctioning is, in fact, in stock. I don't think that's too much to ask.

Good luck with the new bow, Sytes, and here's hoping you do have a photo posted this fall with it resting across a nice elk.

No Offence... but had I been the store owner I would have told you to POUND SAND :) Butthats why he has good starts I bet ;) Congrats on the new purchase !!

No Offence... but had I been the store owner I would have told you to POUND SAND :) !

Dude thats scary. I was going to use that exact saying in my first post but figured dinkshooter would of found a way to twist it against me ;)

Sytes,
Glad everything worked out for you.

told ya so ;)

Moe, as Missoulaz stated, They are "Dual Arch String Suppressors". Their description is, "Optimized to counter ther greatest string vibration". It is patent pending.
I watched a couple video's on this bow... the sound suppression, etc...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-vqrDKe9WI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77NALMg9ViI&feature=related

Pretty interesting. I was sold.
I purchased this from American Archery Supply - same day UPS tracking for the delivery...
http://www.americanarcherysupply.com/frbesfupa.html
$419.00 for a Ready To Hunt Strike. Randy / others interested, this was the best price I found. I tried to find the bow alone though the price difference between RTH and straight stock - it was a better buy with the base accessories. They install the accessories and set the weight / length as desired.

Haha Moosie! He sure could have said to pound sand off the bat... In todays time, I would not consider that a far fetched comment. Thankfully, Jon's Sport Shop made a pain free "told ya so" refund. ;) WyoDeer. The end picture you called it. I do believe Devil Diver Down called this as it was - Hedging at the expense of random online customers. That is not a situation I want to place hundreds of $'s on in the future.

Last edited:
Glad it worked out to your satisfaction Sytes....like the looks and ready to hunt aspect of your 'happy ending' bow.

Glad it all worked out for you. I really liked that bow when I was shopping, the only reason I didnt get it was that my local sporting goods shop wanted over $600 for the bare bow and I picked up a Game Over RTS. But the main dif is that it only has 1 string suppressor. It is a fantastic bow and very quiet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back