Yeti GOBOX Collection

Eater Bull Down

BigHornRam

Last Thursday I came across a bull bedded in the timber. At first I thought it was dead the way it's rack was twisted, but then it's ear flicked. It was sleeping! After awhile it woke up and sat up. It looked like it was going to blow out, so I took the 40 yard shot with my 358 Win. It never got up. He turned out to be a nice 5 point bull.

Then it turned into a Gong Show. First I forgot to pack my knife and the only one I had stashed in my truck was a mickey mouse one in my Gerber all purpose tool. It ended up working better than I expected however. Then I was hunting in a new area in Montana that I was not familiar with. This was the first time I found myself longing for a GPS. The area was a gentle sloped, non descript, thick lodgepole forest. I got turned around a bit packing out the first load. I searched several hours in vain to relocate the elk before darkness forced me to quit. Upon exitting the woods, I finally figured out that I was looking in the wrong area. The next morning I went straight to the rest of the elk, and the rest of the packing was uneventful.

I'll post photos when I shoot up the rest of my film.

Paul

Sounds like a good bull to me, but no fair sneaking up on a sleeping bull. Looking forward to the pics.

Congrats!

A sleeping bull...how often does that happen? I've seen game bedded down plenty of times, but I've never seen any asleep I don't think...pretty neat though.

right on man. Those guys don't sleep like that very often. I caught a nice blacktail all stretched out like that one day sunning himself. Same thing, I thought he was dead. I started walking toward him and he started to lift his head. I pulled up and laid him right back down! It was awsome. HE HE ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avidcork
Back