Eastern MT drought- Effects?

indiana50

I took Randy's advice and was drawn for a NR general deer tag (it was already on my long list of hunts, but he moved it up on the list.) I will be heading out Sept 13th - 23th.

I was planning on hunting region 7 on public land but was then offered permission to hunt some large private tracts through a contact from work. I spoke to the landowner early this week to get some more plans together and he said it may not work this year with the extreme drought, I don't think he wants the liability of an out of stater starting a fire on his ranch which I completely respect. But he followed up with if the area received some rain then I would be good to go.

So I have quickly came back to the drawing board to get a few backup plans in place. I work in the grain and livestock industry and speak with guys in the area on a daily basis so I understand the profoundness of the current situation but not sure how that effects the hunting and how I should approach things.

Powder, Tongue River, and Ekalaka areas are where I am starting my map studying based on some advice, bodies of water and concentrations of public lands. Any specific things (besides water obviously) to be focusing on in response to the conditions?

I also spoke to the Region 7 office in Miles City to try to gain some more insight and she mentioned that IF conditions continued to worsen, they could go as far as to shut down the entire region, although not likely. After hearing that I feel the need to have a plan C and find a spot further west away from the worst area. The problem with that is I know VERY little about other regions and have zero real life experience hunting in higher elevations. I am not scared to try something different and am in good shape but thought SE MT would be a good step as I work my way into western hunting. I am more focused on opportunity than trophy quality, as this will be a huge learning experience for me, bringing home a mature animal would mean success regardless of antler size. Any advice on other regions to be looking at with decent access and densities that do not require a permit?

Any insight will be greatly appreciated, feel free to pm.

The farther north and east you go the worse the drought.
I personally would go later in the year. A better chance of rain and cooler weather. Even if the public is not closed down there is almost certain to be restrictions on camping and camp fires. Also later will get you out of the peak of the elk rut and you should have fewer elk hunters to deal with. Wouldn't bet on that this year.
It is good that you are not hoping for a monster. Now days those big trophy bucks are few and far between.

Last edited:
I took Randy's advice and was drawn for a NR general deer tag (it was already on my long list of hunts, but he moved it up on the list.) I will be heading out Sept 13th - 23th.

I was planning on hunting region 7 on public land but was then offered permission to hunt some large private tracts through a contact from work. I spoke to the landowner early this week to get some more plans together and he said it may not work this year with the extreme drought, I don't think he wants the liability of an out of stater starting a fire on his ranch which I completely respect. But he followed up with if the area received some rain then I would be good to go.

So I have quickly came back to the drawing board to get a few backup plans in place. I work in the grain and livestock industry and speak with guys in the area on a daily basis so I understand the profoundness of the current situation but not sure how that effects the hunting and how I should approach things.

Powder, Tongue River, and Ekalaka areas are where I am starting my map studying based on some advice, bodies of water and concentrations of public lands. Any specific things (besides water obviously) to be focusing on in response to the conditions?

I also spoke to the Region 7 office in Miles City to try to gain some more insight and she mentioned that IF conditions continued to worsen, they could go as far as to shut down the entire region, although not likely. After hearing that I feel the need to have a plan C and find a spot further west away from the worst area. The problem with that is I know VERY little about other regions and have zero real life experience hunting in higher elevations. I am not scared to try something different and am in good shape but thought SE MT would be a good step as I work my way into western hunting. I am more focused on opportunity than trophy quality, as this will be a huge learning experience for me, bringing home a mature animal would mean success regardless of antler size. Any advice on other regions to be looking at with decent access and densities that do not require a permit?

Any insight will be greatly appreciated, feel free to pm.

With the conditions , I would highly recommend switching to a November rifle rut hunt . Things will be froze up and maybe some moisture by then . Private ranches (atleast ones I hunt ) usually don't care where u drive or park when things are froze up just my .02

I considered switching to November, but I will already be in Fargo, ND the few days prior for work so I can write off part of travel expense. My public land hunting here in Midwest come November is just too hard to leave and I like the thought of getting to hunt in September and lengthen my season a bit.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back