Eastern Elk Hunters

Zim

Over the last 15 years I've done quite a bit DIY public land elk hunting and have wondered how many others east of the Mississippi have as many trophies. Yesterday I had my 4th bull taped for P&Y. At 330 3/8th gross, it filled a curious gap between the others. Each is 10" apart. 320" UT, 330" NM, 340" AZ & 350" NV.

What kind of elk trophies have you other DIY easterners accumulated over the years?

Last edited:
Although I live in Blaine, MN Technically I am northeast of the mighty Mississippi, by only a couple of miles so I will chime in. I killed one "trophy" cow on my first and only elk hunt on a limited draw public self guided hunt in CO with archery gear. I am heading back out in 2012. I got 2 weeks of vacation saved up. Limited budget so it will be an OTC or limited draw self guided on public again.

Alright Zim the rules are we don't believe anything without pictures;) Post them up so we can enjoy.

I could not find the one pic I have of my first bull 320" UT. Here's the other 3. See who can put them in the correct order.

I'm not a great hunter it's just when you've been applying for 15 years you get some good tags. I was curious if there were many other easterners who have been doing this as long as I have.

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 455
  • B.jpg
    B.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 465
  • C.JPG
    C.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 465
Just playing with you:D Those are some great elk. It's hard for me to imagine not being close to elk country. I'm very blessed/ spoiled. All the talk and planning you "Easterners" do is sometimes hard for us out west to understand because it's so readily available to us.

Thanks again for the picts.

I agree with Junior on the order...Could have picked 2nd pic as NV without the bull even being in there though.

Congrats on a very impressive collection. I hope in 15 years I can make a post like this as well.

Thanks for sharing

I can't wait out the draws long enough to get good tags.I like elk hunting too much.Though there are good ones to be found where I go.They are few and far between.Your draw luck must be good to get a tag every 3-4 years in good areas

Yes I had good luck for 3 of the 4 tags. The 4th was from a 100% draw unit. Still lots of luck involved to get a top end bull for that unit walk in front of me.

The correct order is Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona.

My Nevada unit was 90% rocks but my bull was taken in the 10% stalkable dirt. The New Mexico unit was very lush, but I was way at the top above timberline 13,000'. Arizona was in unit 1 which was the easiest elk terrain I've ever hunted, all flat with little knobs and tons of elk.

Back