PEAX Equipment

Early archery antelope tactics?

Paul in Idaho

I'm getting ready for my first archery pronghorn hunt, which opens August 15. On my last scouting trip I located 7 herds. All but one of them were on, or within a few seconds of, private land though. Next trip out I'm going to look in an area that's all public.

From what I have read, the rut probably won't peak until my hunt closes. In pre-rut conditions, do you think decoys are worth a try, or should I just stick to spot and stalk?

Any tips you could provide will be appreciated.

Thanks
Paul

Unless you're a week into september, the decoy will be a waste of time.

Unless you're a week into september, the decoy will be a waste of time.

Not entirely ^^

The last couple days of August last season they were starting to rut where we were not far from Boise. Peg a waterhole and setup your blind on the 5th or whatever. Herds were super predictable. We used the decoy to get them to look at that instead of the blind when they came in to water. It saved me one day when the wind was horrible, it was blowing straight at my back, which they didn't like but the decoy calmed them enough to still bring them in. They were nervous, but they didn't bolt like usual.

We also did spot and stalk, which was a good time. Find a buck bedded by himself then sneak up as close as you can from behind him if possible. If you make noise on accident and he hears you, whip that decoy out. Might buy you a second for a shot, might not.

I have actually had luck early on with a decoy. If you are seeing bucks with groups of does even early on they might be figuring out their territory and try to run bucks off. I wouldn't leave the decoy out as an option completely.

Back