E-Bikes

No one should be judging someone who has a different idea of recreation than them, wether it’s Manly enough, or violating some perception of ones rights or hunting spot.

To me it’s not about that. It’s about allowing for wildlife to keep a few sanctuary areas that someone has to be spectacularly dedicated (or nuts) to get back to. Good habitat is shrinking across the West as the population grows—the changes I’ve seen in my 37 years are incredible—and a lot of those people recreate on public land. The more people, the more habitat disturbance, and the more stress on wildlife. E bikes just make that disturbance easier in places where previously it wasn’t so much.

I’m also against rocket packs, hover boards, spocks jet boots from The final frontier, most of the tech from the jetsons, drones carrying gear, and fixed wing or heli’s landing anywhere except designated landing strings in wilderness areas.
Just wanted you to know.

I’m also against rocket packs, hover boards, spocks jet boots from The final frontier, most of the tech from the jetsons, drones carrying gear, and fixed wing or heli’s landing anywhere except designated landing strings in wilderness areas.
Just wanted you to know.
But are you against using an Ebike to transport immediately boned out antelope meat to the cooler of ice faster? mtmuley

But are you against using an Ebike to transport immediately boned out antelope meat to the cooler of ice faster? mtmuley

You shooting pronghorn in a wilderness area, roadless area, or off a non-motorized vehicles trail? If not then get that meat to the truck by the most efficient means you can.

Wonder if a hoverboard would constitute a "wheeled" cart for wilderness act applications. 😏

Should be good on that point at least...
Think of the quality that would add to the wilderness... Horses outlawed: No rutted horse multi lane trails, 50 yards wide through Meadows...
Erosion a thing of the past.
Oh but wait... That means more public land users using public land.
Purists would be outraged their 10 mile uphill both way pack trips in 4' snow drifts would become a distant Bunyan chuckle around the campfire.

Nah, there will never be hoverboards. :)

It's pretty evident he speaks of the legal use - where legal... i.e. the OP about Elk101's, Corey Jacobson's "legal" use of the e-bike. ;)
Agree though, I don't like the idea e-bikes electric motor somehow constitutes non motorized... Wilderness is not part of the equation though good plug. :) Hoverboard?

Think I could make a portable ramp and jump corners with an Ebike? mtmuley

You absolutely could. In fact, I do have some limited experience being airborne on a fat tire bike. All I have to say is that there is a lot of "spring" in those big tires upon landing that can result in a second unexpected and, in my case, fully inverted flight. I have yet to be tempted into a repeat performance, but the promise of a big landlocked bull elk could be the motivation I need. That and a health insurance plan with a lower deductible.

That conveyance also is motorized. (That is, until some bureaucrat says it isn't.)

The TMR defines “motor vehicle” as “any vehicle which is self-propelled, other than: (1) a vehicle operated on rails; and (2) any wheelchair or mobility device, including one that is battery-powered, that is designed solely for use by a mobility-impaired person for locomotion, and that is suitable for use in an indoor pedestrian area.” 36 CFR 212.1. E-bikes have a motor and are therefore self-propelled and are not covered by the exceptions in the definition. Therefore, e-bikes are motor vehicles and are subject to regulation under the TMR, which requires designation of National Forest System (NFS) roads, NFS trails, and areas on NFS lands for motor vehicle use. 36 CFR 212.51(a). Direction on e-bikes has been included in a response in the Federal Register notice for the final over-snow vehicle rule. The response states: “New technologies that merge bicycles and motors, such as e-bikes, are considered motor vehicles under §212.1 of the TMR.” 80 Fed. Reg. 4503 (Jan. 28, 2015). New trail riding opportunities for e-bikes may be considered as administrative units and ranger districts update their motor vehicle use map (MVUM) under travel management planning. These changes would involve appropriate environmental analysis and public participation.

Given the definition I think Marty's hoverboard would be legal, now Griff's Pittbull board was self propelled, if you recall the pond incident, and would be a motorized (self propelled) vehicle.

Now looking at hoverboards in wilderness areas:

(a) Mechanical transport, as herein used, shall include any contrivance which travels over ground, snow, or water on wheels, tracks, skids, or by floatation and is propelled by a nonliving power source contained or carried on or within the device.

So the large electro magnets in Marty's board would exclude it under current language.

D'oh! However, it depends on what the definition of "Floatation" is... Clinton-ism for the win... Is an aeroplane (airplane for ya newbs) a floatation device? ;)

Quality research there, Wllm. :)

D'oh! However, it depends on what the definition of "Floatation" is... Clinton-ism for the win... Is an aeroplane (airplane for ya newbs) a floatation device? ;)

Quality research there, Wllm. :)

Good point... we might have to revise the statue to read "or by flotation or levitation".

We should probably head this one off at the pass right here right now.

Probably as surprised as I am that there’s a flatlander on a hunting forum running his mouth about something he doesn’t get.

As a fairly avid backpack hunter myself, I’d enjoy and gleen a lot of knowledge off a thread on backpack hunting elk 20 miles from the trailhead.

Nobody is taking any of that away from you.

Yeah, and there's also a lot of roads and country open to vehicle use, that's exactly where e-bikes should be allowed to operate, on motorized trails and roads. Not on trails open to foot traffic and horses.

This crap has got to STOP. MTGomer has it 100% correct, that hunters are in a big hurry to ruin what little is left of secure areas for big-game. Those animals need places where they can find security away from the throngs of hunters constantly on their ass. When those types of secure areas are decreased in number, those elk react and end up going to the only place they can find security, and that is private property where nobody can hunt.

Of course, then you have the same "sportsmen" whining and griping that they cant access those elk anymore because the jerk landowners wont allow access. Rather than think about how, in the long run, allowing easier and easier access to public lands will impact elk security, all 90% of the hunters think about is "gettin' their elk" this year.

Couple easier access with all the things that have been mentioned in this thread, better gear, long range bows, long range rifles, better glass, better clothing, better boots, packs as well as the plethora of access to information...there aren't many places left for elk to find any kind of decent security.

Further, anyone that isn't man enough to hike in, and put some effort in, doesn't really deserve to have access to every last acre of public land. What about my right to want to afford elk a secure area on public land, or have areas left to hunt that aren't being pounded by ATV's, motorbikes, and now e-bikes? My right to hunt these areas isn't even a consideration and I'm supposed to just "deal" with it because e-bikes allows more users. I say BS to that, your rights end where they infringe on mine. Your rights end where they infringe on my public wildlife having secure areas to live.

I also contend that the only reason many want all the latest gadgets and easier and easier access, is because they're lazy and simply want an easier route to a dead elk. The hunt, the wildlife, and secure habitat don't mean anything to them, only the dead animal they hang their tag on. The end always justifying the means.

This thread is the perfect example of what I hate about hunting and a good number of the hunting population. There is no thought given to anything or anyone else...its really a shame.

Finally, the only way that wildlife and those that manage our wildlife can respond to all this technology and easier and easier access is to shorten seasons, reduce quota's, go to limited quota from general tags, etc. Hunters screw themselves out of the best and most important part of hunting, which is days in the field and access to tags, because they have to take the easy way out. I'd rather fill a tag once every 5 years, but be able to hunt every year, than have an easier hunt and be assured to fill my tag, but only be able to hunt one time in 5 years.

We reap what we sew...and frankly, deserve to.

I believe I've seen you drive between spots to glass for elk, the get out and walk down for a closer look. Driving between glassing areas....not walking. I'm assuming that was legal to do so. So is using E-bikes.

I believe I've seen you drive between spots to glass for elk, the get out and walk down for a closer look. Driving between glassing areas....not walking. I'm assuming that was legal to do so. So is using E-bikes.
You don’t get the difference between driving a pickup on a roadway and riding an ebike in a place that until recently was non motorized access only?

Back