Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

E-Bike legality in Montana.

If we replaced every instance of the word E bike in your post with the word “motorcycle”, would you feel differently?

If so,why?

Good question Nameless Range, here are some more thoughts you have generated. Motorcycles make noise pollution, e bikes do not. Motorcycles make fumes - smell, e bikes do not. Motorcycles cause environmental damage, e bikes leave no more marks on the environment than horses or pedal bikes (which e bikes are, you do have to pedal). Those are the differences I see. I would never advocate that these bikes should be allowed in Wilderness nor on non - motorized trail systems at all. There are lots of other places to do this.
This past fall I made a trip to Idaho into the Sawtooth mountains. Motorcycles rode past us everyday, I see the e bike as a very effective tool to even these odds up for me in a way that is much easier on the land and critters than motorcycles...and i will not smell like gas or tailpipe fumes.

Good question Nameless Range, here are some more thoughts you have generated. Motorcycles make noise pollution, e bikes do not. Motorcycles make fumes - smell, e bikes do not. Motorcycles cause environmental damage, e bikes leave no more marks on the environment than horses or pedal bikes (which e bikes are, you do have to pedal). Those are the differences I see. I would never advocate that these bikes should be allowed in Wilderness nor on non - motorized trail systems at all. There are lots of other places to do this.
This past fall I made a trip to Idaho into the Sawtooth mountains. Motorcycles rode past us everyday, I see the e bike as a very effective tool to even these odds up for me in a way that is much easier on the land and critters than motorcycles...and i will not smell like gas or tailpipe fumes.

Agree. They are motorized and have no place on designated non motorized routes. Bicycle tires, per a Montana State University peer reviewed research noted they cause less damage/erosion to the environment than hooved pack animals.

https://scholarworks.montana.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/1/6831/31762100885266.pdf;sequence=1

Agree. They are motorized and have no place on designated non motorized routes. Bicycle tires, per a Montana State University peer reviewed research noted they cause less damage/erosion to the environment than hooved pack animals.

https://scholarworks.montana.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/1/6831/31762100885266.pdf;sequence=1
Now that is an interesting piece! This may sway my opinion some...I've never looked at horse back as destructive, but If the bicycle is less so, who is to say?

He made a comment that did get me thinking a bit, "without the aid of the electric bike he would not be able to participate in the hunt with his son and grandson", health issues.

So did he mention this was the only place they could hunt? Wondering if there was another piece of piece of public he could have hunted with his family without the ebike.

I had some great hunts with my 88 year old granddad and my son with his 2 bum hips on public no ebike required.

So did he mention this was the only place they could hunt? Wondering if there was another piece of piece of public he could have hunted with his family without the ebike.

I had some great hunts with my 88 year old granddad and my son with his 2 bum hips on public no ebike required.
This was in western Washington; no public land to speak of, private timberland is about all there is and the logging roads go on forever behind locked gates. The country pretty much sucks in that regard.

This was in western Washington; no public land to speak of, private timberland is about all there is and the logging roads go on forever behind locked gates. The country pretty much sucks in that regard.

Ok there is country for the 76 year old guy to hunt with his family that would not have required a $3000 ebike?

Not trying to argue, just trying to understand the guys reasoning.

I thought that was pretty common knowledge, I know I've read a couple of papers that came to the same conclusions. I'll have to see if I can track them down.
I thought so as well... leave it to the "flat earthers" to rationalize otherwise. I prefer to share the links vs saying such w/o.

A motorized vehicle is still motorized wheaten its electronic or fuel feed

You are absolutely correct. However, I think it's important to look at the reason for the regulation. I think the reason is that most motorized vehicles pollute and destroy the environment. This particular kind of motorized vehicle does less to the environment than horses, which I assume are permitted.

A motorized vehicle is still motorized wheaten its electronic or fuel feed

I do agree e bikes are motorized. For sure in my opinion anyway, there are places were they are OK and places where they are not OK. Personally that doesn't bother me a lot, all my hunting life I take extra care on being where it is OK to be, cannot hunt any other way. I think they could have a place in my hunting plans, I'll be test riding one in UT first week in December. Great discussion on the topic, that is what I was looking for.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back