Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

dutch oven

Ronin75

Ok guys is their a big following of dutch oven cooks in hunting camps or do you think it's too much effort. Just wondering what others think about this.

I got a dutch oven last year and tried a few recipes. I like it because I can just use the camp fire that I already have going. Do a little research online and you can find alot of great recipes.

I have quite a few that we use on a regular bases while camping. We always make at least 1 meal and several deserts in them every trip. On our annual 4 day archery shoot in PA we have a Dutch oven carry in. Always a good time to see what people can come up with. That being said, I have never done one on a hunting trip. Mainly because I'm hunting alone and it's easier to just do mountain house and go to bed.

I would be interested.I have 4 dutch ovens and can always use new recipes.

anyone who doesn't have at least one dutch oven meal in camp is missing out.

I have a few standard meals I make at least once on any hunt from the truck/camper

Dinner - Lasagna and then flip the lid over on the coals and fry texas toast

Breakfast - Mountain Man - I pre-cook most of it so it doesn't take so long - hash browns, onions/pepper, sausage, eggs - then cheese on top once it's almost done. Once done, flip lid on coals and heat up tortillas and fill em up with some green chili

big cookie - just throw in pre-made cookie dough, mmmmmmmmmmmmm, cookie dough

Really, anything you can make at home can be made in a dutch oven, except it tastes 100 times better since you are in the hills

Big hint on dutch ovens, foil them, then you have zero cleanup when your done

They do take more effort but are definately worth it. Just like Jorgy, my favorite is lasagna. I usually use briquettes for heat as it is easier to control the tempurature. After a long cold day hunting it sure beats hot dogs on a stick in the fire!

My brother and I have been cooking with dutch ovens for years. You can use any coals you have handy but like nidahunter said briquettes are better for controling temperature and they last longer. With a little practice you can make pretty much anything you would make at home. Just don't be in a hurry to eat. We mainly use them in the evening when we are done for the day.

I find if you have ingredients prepared you can just put them in your dutch oven and forget them for an hour or two giving you time to do other things.

Get a couple of dutch oven cookbooks to get recipe ideas and tips for care of ovens. They are heavy but much better at distributing heat than aluminum dutch ovens.http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/a ttachment.php?attachmentid=47148&stc=1&d=1430930680

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 585
My family loves to camp and we cook in Dutch ovens a lot. We always joke that as soon as your done eating one meal it's time to start cooking the next. However when hunting I very rarely will cook in them just because they take to much time.

It is nice though when we have my father in law with us. He will usually hunt around with us until about noon and then he disappears. When that happens you know you are going to eat well when you get back to camp.

I tried a Dutch Oven once...my girlfriend made me sleep on the couch for a week. :D

I have 2 now (1 with legs, 1 without)...I've never used the legged version but have considered the bury method since I'm too lazy to tend the coals.

Our fanciest dutch dish is a prime rib with rub and packed in rock salt. We use a small aluminum for our dessert dishes. As Jorgy said, "Liners are your friend as far as clean-up".

I got my Camp Chef 12" deep dutch oven a few months ago and thus far all I've made is apple pie deserts, well several of them using the same recipe as it's been a hunting camp favorite. I use BBQ briquets simply to make things easy and that I haven't had a camp fire on my trips, yet.

It's quite simple- One box of yellow cake mix, two cans of apple pie filling.
(See attached photos)
-Line the oven with aluminum foil (makes cleaning a snap)
-Empty two cans of apple pie filling into bottom of oven.
-Mix up the yellow cake mix based on it's instructions and pour over the apple filling.
-(note: adding some whiskey, brandy or rum over the pie filling doesn't hurt)
-For my 12" oven I put 14 briquets on top and 7 on the bottom. I have had to make two batches of briquets, but it's been under 32degs when trying to cook it and at 9000ft elevation. Key is to monitor it every 10-15mins. I know when it's done when I can poke a knife in and no cake batter is left on the knife and the entire cake feels pretty firm. If you're checking on it every 10mins you'll know when this happens.

For my next attempt I'm going to make a combo apple and pumpkin with a yellow cake mix over top. I'm going to use gram crackers stood up on their side to make a dam between the two fillings.

cmc

Attachments

• IMG_0937.jpg
    IMG_0937.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 460
  • IMG_0947.jpg
    IMG_0947.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 462
We use them all the time for cooking around the house and camping/hunting. In fact, we are building a dutch oven pit in the back yard next to our smoker this summer. My favorite dishes are Cornish game hens (grouse work well too) followed by peach cobbler. Chili is awesome as is the Mountain Man breakfast. We use Lodge dutch ovens, and we always lap the lids for a good seal.

I have a couple of them, and love to cook in them. However, when I'm hunting I rarely ever use them simply because of the time involved. I want food fast so I can get some sleep.

We use them all the time for cooking around the house and camping/hunting. In fact, we are building a dutch oven pit in the back yard next to our smoker this summer. My favorite dishes are Cornish game hens (grouse work well too) followed by peach cobbler. Chili is awesome as is the Mountain Man breakfast. We use Lodge dutch ovens, and we always lap the lids for a good seal.

We always use Lodge dutch ovens and cast iron pans because they are made in the good old USA.
Most all the other brands are made in china.

I am looking at a Lodge now. I use their skillets.
I have an old lidded cast iron pot,(mom called it a dutch oven) I make chile and such now,even on the top of woodstove.
But always interested in the flat-top method and it seems like no brainer here where I am in NM.
One day I will go to the Glenwood Dutch Oven Cook Off....

I cook in Dutch ovens all the time and all of my cooking at home is done in cast iron. But when I'm hunting there is no way I'm putting one in my pack. I do my cooking with a jetboil when I'm hunting.

I cook in Dutch ovens all the time and all of my cooking at home is done in cast iron. But when I'm hunting there is no way I'm putting one in my pack. I do my cooking with a jetboil when I'm hunting.

I hear ya, when I'm hunting,I'm hunting. Not hanging around a camp.That's camping.

Only thing I take time to do is COFFEE and heat up frozen precooked meals I take in zip-locks......or jerky,cheese and Cliff bars and off to sleep before the wake up &@ o'dark thirty and get going again.

Back