Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

dutch oven

I had one but somehow it got misplaced ( I think the wife sold it at a garage sale) and I am getting another. Try Pit cooking with them, awesome!!!!! I gotta find that recipe book too.

Sometimes we hunt mornings then come back to camp and go back out in the afternoon. This is a great time to use the dutch oven on low heat. Hot meal ready to roll when we get back.

I like to make a mexican pie with cornbread on top or breakfast burritos

I have a couple of them, and love to cook in them. However, when I'm hunting I rarely ever use them simply because of the time involved. I want food fast so I can get some sleep.

I hear ya, when I'm hunting,I'm hunting. Not hanging around a camp.That's camping.

Only thing I take time to do is COFFEE and heat up frozen precooked meals I take in zip-locks......or jerky,cheese and Cliff bars and off to sleep before the wake up &@ o'dark thirty and get going again.

That's my answer, too. I understand the enjoyment that comes from camp cookery and the camaraderie that goes with it, but the hunting season is very limited. My time is best spent either hunting or resting.

We do enjoy Dutch oven cooking but it's done before the hunt with the results vacuum packed and frozen for quick easy meals heated in pan at camp. In ten minutes I can enjoy a great meal. As an example, here's a list of meals Mrs. Hummer prepared and sent for my 2014 elk hunt meals:

HUNT CAMP DINNERS for Steve

Chicken, Quinoa, Olives

Tagine Chicken

Catfish Corn Chowder

Zuppa Toscana

Elk Chorizo Chili

Hoppin' John's Cousin Stew

Beef and Pineapple Red Curry with Rice

Thai Pronghorn Sausage & Veggies with Udon Noodles

Elk Meatball Stroganoff

Shrimp Vodka Pasta

Brunswick Stew

Gnocchi & mushrooms with Beef Rib Steak

Herb barley risotto with peas - tequila shrimp

Coconut curry soup

Herb barley risotto with peas & BBQ Chicken Drums

BREAKFASTS

Chili Relleno Frittata

Green chili Mac & goat cheese

Ham & Root Veg.

Rice Zucchini with sausage

Ham & Bean Soup

Split Pea Soup

Don't forge the olive oil!

I eat like a King! :)

Pardon my ignorance, but what the hell is Zuppa Toscana? What kind of flowers does Mrs. Hummer like, and does she ship out of state?

.... What kind of flowers does Mrs. Hummer like, and does she ship out of state?

Ha! You're not the first to ask as I shared some of the meals with other hunters that camped nearby. She's a superb cook. If she lost her real job we could do well in a mail order catering business.

She likes orchids, I'll let her know there's another customer in the wings.

I cook in Dutch ovens all the time and all of my cooking at home is done in cast iron. But when I'm hunting there is no way I'm putting one in my pack. I do my cooking with a jetboil when I'm hunting.

Why wouldn't you want to pack a 20lb dutch oven? :D

Plenty of time to try some of those recipes Hummer in the off season,mmmmmmm!
I'm always burning some thing in the fire ring.

NM's 5 day seasons leaves little time. I catch up on sleep sometimes after mid-day snack....

I think the dutch oven is almost too easy, is that possible? You want a stew, when you get back to camp? Put everything in the pot, put on briquets, go hunt. It will be ready when you get back at lunch or dinner. Same with ham & beans, chili, the deserts...
Thank you guys, I never thought of the foil liner before, I always just put water in it, let soak til next day, then wash it. Always re-season with vegetable oil before you put it away though!
YES! Get a dutch oven or 2 enjoy.

I like making pizza in a Dutch oven while we are camping. This one is pepperoni but chicken bacon ranch is our favorite.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 90
I think the dutch oven is almost too easy, is that possible? You want a stew, when you get back to camp? Put everything in the pot, put on briquets, go hunt. It will be ready when you get back at lunch or dinner. Same with ham & beans, chili, the deserts...
Thank you guys, I never thought of the foil liner before, I always just put water in it, let soak til next day, then wash it. Always re-season with vegetable oil before you put it away though!
YES! Get a dutch oven or 2 enjoy.

Only thing wrong is someone has to stay in camp and watch for fire......as is wildfire. Never leave a fire unattended!

Only thing wrong is someone has to stay in camp and watch for fire......as is wildfire. Never leave a fire unattended!

I agree, common sense prevails. However I have a clear zone, designated fire ring & hunt late season in Oregon! You need a blow torch to ignite straw on the west side that time of yr. Don't want anybody to not be fire conscious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back