Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Dusted off a relic

Nambaster

After hiking trails marked for foot/horse traffic, or motorcycle, I remembered that my dad had an old relic sitting in his garage. I called him up and asked him if I could have it since it had been 13 years since he had parked it for storage. He didn’t hesitate to tell me it was all mine if I came and got it. After driving my old Dodge 300 +/- miles I was pretty worried the bike wouldn’t start. All the dust it collected over the years definitely made things discouraging. I got her out to see sunlight for the first time in 13 years. 50D3C0CF-B8A9-469F-B874-B9CAD6429955.jpeg

I wheeled her out of the garage and gave her a few kicks. On the third kick I swear I could her some compression going on. I loosened the wingnut on the intake and sprayed a few shots of starter fluid and gave her one kick and sure enough she fired right up and idled for 5 or 10 seconds. I couldn’t believe it. I scrambled for some ethanol free gas and poured a half gallon in the tank. I gave it a kick and she fired right up. I opened up the choke and she idled on her own. As she was idling I scrambled to get the air compressor plugged it in and ran the hose up to the tires to air them up. I popped her into gear and off we went. Zipping around the neighborhood was ephemeral. After making a few adjustments to the choke she ran strong.

620014DD-ED70-4327-94C0-F0272E772AE9.jpeg

Now for the real test. I drove her up to the local fire break road and put her up on her kick stand and dropped it into neutral. As the wheel was free spinning I pulled the lever to put her into low range. She shifted in nice and smooth and I idled her up a steep hill. Giving her very little gas she crawled nice and slow. Coming down the hill she held her gears and the engine would brake as I popped up and down the trail. The low range was fully functional! B4940C30-666B-4347-B3D6-95C59AC24E4E.jpeg

After loading her up in the bed of my truck and brining her home the DMV was already closed. The next morning I woke up at 8:00 and got in line to get her registered and licensed. This bike is a street legal dual sport so she works for street and off-road use. After getting my plates and registration stickers, I went to the back of the line for my motorcycle endorsement knowledge test. I briefly reviewed the manual while I waited in line and also registered it as an OHV for trail use in National Forests and bought the sticker for $12 on my phone. I was then called up to take the test and 25 questions later I am now able to ride it on the streets until my skills test.

The first place I drove it was to the gas station to top her off with some ethanol free gas. She took 1.1 gallons costing me a whole $2.75. Just like that I am good for 77 miles of driving. I zoomed over to Walmart to do some grocery shopping and picked up a milk crate for $5.97 and 2 bungee cords for $1.77 with that crate I picked up 5 quarts of oil,an oil filter for the dodge, 2 gallons of milk, a head of cabbage and other small groceries. The crate bungeed strait to the rack in the back and I zoomed back home. It’s fun to run errands now! I got her up to 55 mph on the airport frontage road on my way home.

Now I can’t wait til deer/elk season to see how she handles packing out some meat.....

did the helmet come with it?

t50-gold-flake-left_1.jpg

How cool is that. I love bringing old machines back to life. Can't wait for a pic with an elk quarter on your back.

If your Dad were closer I'd be trying to talk him out of that 90. I'm slowly but surely acquiring the parts necessary to resurrect my old '63 Honda CL-72 250 twin Scrambler. I wonder how many even know what that bike looks like.

The trail 90 is seized up but while I was at the DMV a guy waved me down and asked all sorts of questions about the CT110 and mentioned that he has 2 froze trail 90’s that he is either going to fix or get rid of. He gave me his card and I just may figure out what he is willing to take for them.

That is so great!! My Dad had a great Trail 90 when we were kids. I loved that thing. Wished he still had it. Thanks for sharing. Those pictures bring back alot of great memories.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back