Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

dumb question...what is meant by tuning fixed blade broadheads?

beginnerhunter

Shooting QAD exodus broadheads. They appear to consistently shoot 2-3 inches right/low at 30 yards vs field points. I've lined the fletching up with the blades since I read that worked sometimes.

So does tuning mean just sighting in your bow for the broadheads? Or are there other steps? I'm pretty reliant on my bow shop so I'm not really good at adjusting the bow aside from the sight. Thanks!

No such thing as a dumb question, you just don't know until you are taught.. Anyhow.... It's just making slight adjustments to your rest to close the distance between the two arrows. Check out some youtube videos, there is a lot of helpful information out there. Make sure you French tune and/or Paper tune prior to broadhead tuning. https://youtu.be/3xeUTZYsDTI

In your case you will want to make very slight adjustment to your rest, up and left. I would move one direction at a time and make sure you mark where you are starting from so you if you overcorrect you know your starting point. This is assuming your arrows are not porpoising or fishtailing or kicking from fletching contact. If those are occurring you have more fundamental tuning or form issues. Sounds like if you are that close, though you just need to tweek your rest.

Are your broadheads and field points the same weight?

Broadhead Tuning means adjusting bow and rest to get your broadheads hitting the same as your broad heads. As others have mentioned it can often be done with small adjustments to rest. There was a very good tutorial thread on Archery Talk regarding rest adjustment. Sometimes it takes cable adjustments to cam timing or lean.

Fletchings lined up with blades does nothing.

Form can be an issue.

Broadhead Tuning means adjusting bow and rest to get your broadheads hitting the same as your broad heads. As others have mentioned it can often be done with small adjustments to rest. There was a very good tutorial thread on Archery Talk regarding rest adjustment. Sometimes it takes cable adjustments to cam timing or lean.

Fletchings lined up with blades does nothing.

Form can be an issue.

This. Assuming your arrow is the correct spine, you are adjusting your rest so the arrow is coming off perfectly true. Any slight deviation will make the arrow plane due to the steering effect of the broad head. If planing occurs, you will see it in the flight of the arrow as well as the point of impact, which will then differ from a field point arrow.

Don’t overlook hand torque, draw length too long, etc as causes of this.

The broadheads you are using are high profile. It's possible that the fletchings you are using (material, length, profile, and alignment) are adequate for your field points, but not for this particular broadhead at your arrow spine and initial velocity (based on draw weight, and the energy transfer of your particular bow).

I'd definitely explore simpler culprits first, as others have mentioned.

Also, is the fletching straight or offset/helical? I’m assuming Blazers or the like?

One of the ways you can check is to video the arrow flight from above and behind you to see if you are getting any fish tailing or the like. Sometimes its hard to see from the shooters standpoint. This should point you in the right direction. If you don't have the set up for this some pro shops do.

Good advise above - I would add that if your arrow speed is > 280/290 fps the issue (arrow rest, arrow spine, form, etc) will be more pronounced.

So many things can be the cause, lots of good info above. The first time I did my own broadhead tuning I got very frustrated as everything I read said move the rest this way if your arrows hit right or this way for left. It just got worse the more I moved the rest. It turned out for some reason that I needed to move my rest the opposite of what I read, don't ask me why. Just don't get stuck on what the experts say to do, if it doesn't work try the other direction.

If you can't get them hitting the same, take it to the pro shop, make sure your bow is setup correctly, it should hit the same as your field points.

Also, is the fletching straight or offset/helical? I’m assuming Blazers or the like?

Yes, offset blazers.

Thanks to everyone for the replies and advice. Surprised this old thread got resurrected. Haven't had a chance to mess with it much this spring so can't comment on a fix just yet. My arrow speed is closer to 260. Spine should mathematically be okay for that speed and arrow weight, etc.

Yes, offset blazers.

Thanks to everyone for the replies and advice. Surprised this old thread got resurrected. Haven't had a chance to mess with it much this spring so can't comment on a fix just yet. My arrow speed is closer to 260. Spine should mathematically be okay for that speed and arrow weight, etc.

When I fletch my arrows I like to put a strong helical/offset combination, but offset Blazers should sufficiently stabilize your arrows. Also, 260 fps isn't fast enough to be concerned about. If your arrow spine is correct then it's either a form issue or a slight tuning issue. A decent bow shop should be able to help you sleuth it out pretty easily. Have someone else shoot your bow and see if they experience the same POI. That will help you determine if it's a tuning issue or a form issue.

Been going through same process for my first elk hunt. Got a chance to shoot some broadheads at target today. Initial shot was about 4 inches low and an inch right. A couple of small adjustments and I’m spot on at 30 yards.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back