Helical fletching with fixed blade broadheads

Melman

I switched from the Rage extreme broadheads to the Solid fixed blade broadhead. They are the 125 gr model and are basically a 2 blade broadhead with small bleeder blades. My Dad just told me that he read you should use helical fletching to help spin the arrows faster with fixed blade broadheads because the big two blades can steer the arrow if its not spinning fast enough. Does anyone have any insight on this? does anyone shoot a Solid or other brand fixed two blade head and have issues because they don't have helical vanes?

You should always have a helical fletching when shooting broadheads. It will spin the arrow faster, stabilizing it against any other external forces such as wind, hand torque, etc. The effects magnify greatly when you start adding distance. Helical fletching will probably also tighten up your groups.

I've been shooting Thunderhead 100s since 1992. I've found that it doesn't matter. I use to use a helical back when I used 4" vanes. Once I started fleching my own arrows with 2" Blazer vanes, I only put a slight offset to them. I haven't noticed any difference in accuracy at any distance.

Last edited:
I shoot a similar head with 4" helical and still can't get them to group with field points. I finally found the fix after years of fighting this battle just the other night. I put all my field points away and moved my pins to match the broadheads! It's awesome when they work the same but I swear sometimes it's just not possible. My broadheads group great out past my effective range and the arrows fly perfect so I am happy.

If they're not grouping with your field points, they're not flying perfectly. Tune is one aspect, but form is so important with BH's.

If they're not grouping with your field points, they're not flying perfectly. Tune is one aspect, but form is so important with BH's.

Very true. An often overlooked fact is that you can have very accurate groups with poor form. That is why some folks get great groups with FP and BH, but they have different POI despite all tuning efforts. A little hand torque applied the same way each time can really screw a guy up.

Helical or offset both get your arrows spinning. Helical gets it spinning faster. Just make sure you are not shooting straight fletched arrows that don't have offset vane or helical. It might be hard to get a helical on short vanes like blazers. I see most of them fletched with an offset.

I was also thinking about trying the Quick Spin from Nap. they don't look helical, they seem to have a little edge to the back of each vane that supposedly makes them spin faster. plus the quick fletch are super easy to do and pretty cheap

I felt that the NAP quick spin tightened up my pattern pretty well, but my comparison was vs. straight vanes that came on the arrows and had seen considerable use. The quick fletch is easy, doesn't leave residue, and I can refletch on my backpacking stove (the pot is just barely deep enough). Just don't leave your spare quick fletch vanes in your truck or they could get hot enough to shrink.

I've never had any issues when I shot a straight fletch with my Thunderhead 100s.

Very true. An often overlooked fact is that you can have very accurate groups with poor form. That is why some folks get great groups with FP and BH, but they have different POI despite all tuning efforts. A little hand torque applied the same way each time can really screw a guy up.

When I first started archery hunting my broad heads were always lower than my field points. I finally figured out I was putting to much throat pressure on my grip once I started a little more heal pressure the hit exactly the same.
I think that helical fletching is important for shooting BH's in a hunting situation where bad form is just going to happen from time to time. If you break a bad shot maybe the arrow stabilizes faster and it's only 4in off instead of 12. Besides a few fps I just don't see a downside.

The NAP QuickFletch Twister vanes fly great with Muzzy 3 blade 100 grain points shot from my old Hoyt. Very consistent grouping FP and Muzzy BH between 20-50 yards. I really like the QuickFletch vanes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back