Duck Decoy Urn

Rat Fink

I'm looking for a duck decoy urn for my beloved Suzie dog. I have found a few online but they are cost prohibitive. I am looking for a hollowed cedar or cork decoy that can be filled with ashes AND hunted once a year on a tribute hunt. Anyone here carve decoys or know of a carver that will make one on commission? I'm looking for a hen mallard decoy.

Attachments

• dustin 130.jpg
    dustin 130.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 1,452
  • D9 Suzie Drake.JPG
    D9 Suzie Drake.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,395
  • Suzie's last roosters.JPG
    Suzie's last roosters.JPG
    179.4 KB · Views: 1,484
Some probably will not understand this, but when it comes time to put Ol Abe down, it will be done by the one he loved and who loved him! Won't be easy, but he has earned it!
Grave will be dug in backyard.

Last edited:
Some probably will not understand this, but when it comes time to put Ol Abe down, it will be done by the one he loved and who loved him! Won't be easy, but he has earned it!

Understand completely. It was so tough with Axl, but it was the way it had to be done.

I hate to even think about it. It's easy to love them and difficult to think about them not being there. Good luck finding a decoy urn.

It's looking like I will be carving a decoy with the help of a buddy. Gotta take Suzie in on wednesday for the big sleep. Gonna be a shitty day.

God bless you Man. Lost My 9 year old hunting partner in august. Still tear up over her from time to time. On a side note fishing was great this weekend.

sorry to hear. It's tough, but you're doing the right thing. I like the decoy idea, and wish I was artistic enough to get it done.

Rat Fink, I love the decoy idea and wish I would have thought of it when Zeus, my black lab, passed away 2 yrs ago. I was there when he was put down and I carried him out for one last ride home in the truck. I buried him out by the pond so he can keep an eye to the sky for those geese he loved/hated so much. One of the hardest things I've ever done and eyes are teared up right now. They are special, good luck to you and hang in there.

Keeping ones loved ones in a working decoy is a great idea. On that note, I have small amount of my sons ashes in a decoy, a working decoy that I will not hunt, that was carved by an east coast carver by the name of Martin Collins. This cavasback decoy is a replica of a carving by George Soule who produced tollers for L.L. Bean and his own business. This decoy will be passed along to his only son sometime in the future as I am not ready to part with it as yet. My current pup, "Lu" a lab/shorthair cross, will be cremated and her ashes will be kept in another decoy. A working hunting decoy. That way she will always be waterfowling with me as long as I am capable. Tough things happen to us all in our long journey. Make the best of it. MTG

Sorry about today being a shitty day Fink. It looks like Suzie was lucky to have her life spent with you. Sorry man, it sucks I know. My beloved lab is 13 and I know her time is getting closer.

Ol Abe just got up from sun on him thru dinig room door and asked with that look "ain't it time to put me in pen and FEED me?"
He doesn't know yet at 10 3/4's that next year will likely be his last at earning his keep......I do.....not good to even think about!
He can't hear himself fart but he can still mark a duck or goose sailing down at well over a hundred yds!

Last edited:
Sometimes I tear up when Im out pheasant hunting my GSP, Gibbs. Tears of happiness watching him do his work just to please me. Its amazing how attached I have gotten to his spots, his short tail wagging and then raising like a flag when on point, and the movements back and forth of a hunting pointer. I tear up thinking about the end of the line with him even though hes just turned 3. I cant imagine how hard it will be. I dont envy you Fink for what you're about to do. Hunting dogs have a special place in their owners hearts that normal people cant even comprehend. God Bless you both.

Took care of business yesterday afternoon. It had to be done. I held her in my arms until the very end. The part that hurt was her looking at me when I took her out of the kennel to go inside. It was the look of "oh cool dad, someplace new to go and have fun at". She didn't realize what was going on really until it was done. We also put down my wife's old lab that tried to bite our kid a few weeks ago. So we went from four labs to two in a matter of minutes.

Now it's time to start carving as I will have Suzie's ashes in about a week.

God Speed Suzie. My first dog is 13.5, and that is a day I don not want to experience. Love 'em while ya got 'em.

Dustin, I am feeling for you. Terrible thing to go through, but the rewards and memories will last a lifetime. We are all blessed to have hunting dogs in our lives. take care bud....

Back