Duck hunting advice for a beginner

Don't think you immediately have to run out and drop a shit ton of money on decoys, boats, mud motors, giant hilton type permanent blinds etc etc.... You can kill birds with smaller spreads, an old johnboat or even canoe, and a simple improvised brush blind. I kind of went HAM the first few years and dropped a ton of money along with my buddies. It was a ton of fun and eventually you might decide you enjoy it enough to get to that point, but don't think you have to right out of the gate. Also, as many have said, scout and be where the birds want to be and put in your time. Learn something everyday out. Those rare occasions when greenheads are working good or you got honkers backpeddaling into a cornfield literally on top of you I swear its better than sex.

Don't think you immediately have to run out and drop a shit ton of money on decoys, boats, mud motors, giant hilton type permanent blinds etc etc.... You can kill birds with smaller spreads, an old johnboat or even canoe, and a simple improvised brush blind. I kind of went HAM the first few years and dropped a ton of money along with my buddies. It was a ton of fun and eventually you might decide you enjoy it enough to get to that point, but don't think you have to right out of the gate. Also, as many have said, scout and be where the birds want to be and put in your time. Learn something everyday out. Those rare occasions when greenheads are working good or you got honkers backpeddaling into a cornfield literally on top of you I swear its better than sex.
I kill them with a couple of jet sleds and a lab.
As you point out, be where the birds want to be.
I rarely call in those situations.

Jetsleds stack for the long hike into areas that boats/canoes are not hunting and they
are versatile for hauling gear, decoys, etc.
moose_rifle.JPG

I would try to scout and maybe hunt fields and ponds where you know they are at. Also, don't be shy about asking to hunt private. Every time I've been out in the Dakotas snow goose / duck hunting I've received a lot more permission than denials.

Go out, shoot a bunch and meet some cool people. North Dakota is an absolute blast.

A lot of great stuff above. Some of my key points I've learned:
  • Amazon is your friend, especially starting out, I have a bunch of clothing from there that is affordable, warm and works great.
  • Have a plan B, C & D, not sure if you're on a refuge or other public land but it can be a mad dash at times.
  • Don't be afraid to call, even if you think you're not great at it. It'll make you better in the long run.
  • I like to keep the sun at my back, wind on the side or behind.
  • Joining a local DU was a great idea, a lot can be learned from more experience guys

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back