Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Duck hunting advice for a beginner

RyeGuy74

Just wondering if anyone had any advice for someone who's attempting their first North Dakota public land solo duck hunt? I've been scouting and have some good ideas where they'll be if nothing drastically changes come September. However, I will attempting this with 6 decoys, maybe a MOJO or two, no dog and boat to retrieve ducks so if they don't fall where I can walk, I'll be waiting for the wind to blow them into shore. I went waterfowl hunting last year so I am not walking into this completely blind but any help on locations, decoy placements, calling, and/or any other advice would be greatly helpful. Thanks in advance!

I hunted waterfowl for the first time this past season, so I'm no expert. If you can swing a craigslist kayak and some camo spray paint I think it's worth it.

My concern would be what happens if the wind doesn't blow for your retrieves. Consider some plan B's;
1) fishing rod and top water lure
2) small inflatable raft
3) swimming suit

I've done 2 of those, when I was young.

My concern would be what happens if the wind doesn't blow for your retrieves. Consider some plan B's;
1) fishing rod and top water lure
2) small inflatable raft
3) swimming suit

I've done 2 of those, when I was young.
I was actually considering the fishing rod idea! I have a lot of those.

I like your name, so I’m happy to help.
I’d say focus on setting up exactly where you’ve seen the most ducks. If it’s a pond and they’re always on the North side right next to a few stumps, put your decoys next to the stumps, not 20 yards away. If you’re in the right spot it’s not as big of a deal how many decoys you have or how good your calling is.
Learn to call but focus on simple quacks, clucks, and feeding sounds. You shouldn’t sound like 100 ducks if you only have 6 decoys. I like a double reed call and feel like they’re easier to master.
I would second the fishing rod. Use waders to get yourself mostly out there and rig up a big sharp treble or two. I’ve done this successfully.
Also, get there early so you have plenty of time to set up and get yourself hidden. Hiding yourself is really important.
Have a plan B and C for spots to hunt, because it is public land after all.

Not to derail the thread, but are the ry/rye guys also named Ryan? My dad has called me that for years (along with a few other nicknames).

Not to derail the thread, but are the ry/rye guys also named Ryan? My dad has called me that for years (along with a few other nicknames).
I am going to say yes, as I have only heard of Ryans be called Ry or Rye

I am a little confused, do you live in ND or are you traveling there to hunt? If it’s your second year and you’re tackling a new state, wow good for you. I started hunting waterfowl 50 years ago and my grandpa was my mentor. He never took me but just told me what to do. That was a problem. Real slow learning curve for me. I would get somebody with a few seasons under their belt, hopefully with a dog and go with them. You have do your part also. Say you have equipment and dog so I will drive, or buy dinner after the hunt. Glad you are waterfowling and it is fun by yourself but I would be looking for a mentor. Good luck. PS once you hunt with a good dog, you will never want to hunt without one. 😀 my wife always asks are you going by yourself, I say of course not I have Max my lab.

Are you doing pond hunting, open lake, or something else? Those details will help a lot for us to understand what you're up against.

Hunt the WPA's they can be great areas with fairly easy acesss. Tough walking in the bottom muck out there so don't plan on it (it'll suck you right in)!

Play the wind - the best shots for decoying are with the wind at your back ...... hence the conundrum for retrieving. If you can get a small stable canoe that you can haul up to the water that would be best wear a good life jacket. A small protected bay will probably be your best bet. And the small sturdy rod will work too.

You don't need a ton of decoys and less can be best many times!

But still have to pick your shots, the wind can be fierce and it's amazing how fast it will blow the birds (and a canoe) offshore.

Good Luck, be safe!!!!

1. Scout. Set up on the X, exactly where the birds want to be.

2. Fishing rod with a topwater lure- big jitterbugs are my favorite. Go with a heavier rod than you think you might need- recommend something with at least 10lb line. You can also use a big float, weight, and treble hook.

3. Hide. Better than that. Ok, you're probably halfway there now. And hide that mirror of a face- it shows up for miles on a sunny morning.

4. Staying 100% perfectly still- like "staring down a cougar in a cave" still- is the best way to keep ducks from seeing you. Cover helps, but you can kill ducks while standing in the decoys if you don't move. You can watch birds reflections in the water when they get close, and keep from turning your head to watch them.

5. Go have fun.

6. Jerk strings are better than motorized decoys (especially on calm water)- change my mind. I would have 2 of your 6 decoys on the jerk string, especially if you can hide the string a bit.

Last edited:
Ducks land into the wind, I like to set my decoys so my hide is cross-wind.
Therefore the ducks landing into the decoys are not looking directly at my hide.
I also like to hide outside the spread, so ducks landing on the edge of decoys are in shooting range.

Decoys.JPG

1. Scout. Set up on the X, exactly where the birds want to be.

2. Fishing rod with a topwater lure- big jitterbugs are my favorite. Go with a heavier rod than you think you might need- recommend something with at least 10lb line. You can also use a big float, weight, and treble hook.

3. Hide. Better than that. Ok, you're probably halfway there now. And hide that mirror of a face- it shows up for miles on a sunny morning.

4. Staying 100% perfectly still- like "staring down a cougar in a cave" still- is the best way to keep ducks from seeing you. Cover helps, but you can kill ducks while standing in the decoys if you don't move. You can watch birds reflections in the water when they get close, and keep from turning your head to watch them.

5. Go have fun.

6. Jerk strings are better than motorized decoys (especially on calm water)- change my mind. I would have 2 of your 6 decoys on the jerk string, especially if you can hide the string a bit.
Just need those three to be a successful waterfowl hunter...anywhere, anytime.

Just need those three to be a successful waterfowl hunter...anywhere, anytime.
And yet I consistently fail at 1 & 3, because I have prioritized hunting as lower than other things in my life. Like work, and sleep...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back