Dual Survival

tjones

Anybody watch this silly show on the Discovery Channel? The Colorado winter episode was a hoot.

Reminds me of an ol Hunttalker from days gone by.

That is one of my favorite shows. Is the Colorado show the one where Cody is wearing his sweater with his shorts? That guy is nuts.

That is one of my favorite shows. Is the Colorado show the one where Cody is wearing his sweater with his shorts? That guy is nuts.

Yep and the one dude burns a tire. Favorite, really?

Last edited:
Ya my 10 yr old boy and I liked to watch it on Netflix. There are some interesting things to learn from Dave and Cody. Except if I ever had to survive I think I'll just roll over and die. I don't remember the burning a tire part other then there is one episode where Cody ends up wearing tire sandals. The snow survival think it is the Colorado episode I remember laughing at Cody digging a snow cave while he is wearing his stupid shorts and sweater. For some reason I find it entertaining.

Actually I watch it with the kids every now and then as well. I hope that if the situation ever comes up with them they will not panic and come up with a survival plan and survive. I would hate for something to happen and they just give up. As a hunter, you never know when some small survival skill you pick up somewhere may be life saving. I know some of the stuff is a bit extreme and/or canned but compared to other "reality" shows, there is some useful information there. Better then 70% of the hunting shows out there. If my kids thought those where reality they would think there is a "Booner" around every tree and a shot a "little far back" is still fine as long as you shoot a Rage.

Any show that makes my 6 year old daughter interested in being able to spend a night out and make a fire is OK with me. Didn't see the snow cave episode, but the lil one has gotten good at finding dry tinder for starting the fire pit.

I've started calling "REALITY SHOWS" sitcoms, and I don't get bent out of shape any more when I watch them....

Shorts probably are the best choice of gear to spend a night out in a Colorado winter and the guy wearing them is the "instructor".

He looked goofy hiking through knee deep snow with boots and shorts, then worrying about surviving the night and not freezing to death.

Same as 2Rocky... Reality shows viewed as sitcoms keep the fun in the show. Some get their panties in a wad over the tight details... others take it for the entertainment they offer and find it a waste of time to bitch about tv shows... heck it is tv afterall. Now Beverly Hills 90210 - that is the true "reality tv" show... right? :p Gotta love shorts and bare feet though makes for good tv hype... and promotion for the show, such as this thread. :)

I do have to say though... the "survival reality shows" hold interesting tidbits of info that I find "fun factoids" to keep in mind. I recall one time, cold as heck, rain/sleet wet crap and sun gone while still dressing out an elk. Trying to get a fire going. I recalled a show (survivorman, man vs wild, man-woman-wild, dual survival whatever show or book) where they collected dry tinder, used a simple first aid alcohol swab and chap stick - made my cold ass brain ding... While going for that, I found my emergency fire tablets... (always good to have) With the fire going it was back to field dressing.

Anything that prompts good preparation, keeping a cool head is all good in my book.

Last edited:
tjones - my son loves the show, so it gets watched in our home.
Wish I could make a fire out of elephant shit...........I gotta ways to go.

I think Joe is a better addition than Dave was. Joe and Cody seem to have a better rapport you can tell that by their ribbing of eachother.

I'd love to see the unedited stuff. There is a lot of great information in the show, but the editing/production of it (creating false drama) takes away from it. Once you get past that crap you can see a lot of the value the show has.

One in particular was the use of visqueen and a space blanket that Cody used to create a shelter on the underside of an overturned trees root system.

Cody may be nuts for going barefoot, but he's done it for decades. It ain't for me, but I'd never bet against him trying to survive most any situation in the world. He knows his stuff.

I have only watched part of two, and can say I won't be watching anymore. One was when they were on an island and finally got a fire going on the beach. A storm blew in and the waves were pushing up to the fire. Funny stuff. My thought was simply move the fire.

Hope I don't need a TV show tidbit to remind me not to build a fire where waves may get it or not to forget what is in my pack. :)

I

+1 on the false drama. Sometimes survival is a few seconds of terror followed by days of monotony. Tell the story well. Cheap tricks...that should be a band. Oh, it is.

Floating across shark infested waters on a raft assembled from a stick and a half a dozen coconuts? Now that is gripping, spine tingling, edge of your seat drama! I'd have used at least 12 coconuts-those guys are CRAZY!!

Floating across shark infested waters on a raft assembled from a stick and a half a dozen coconuts? Now that is gripping, spine tingling, edge of your seat drama! I'd have used at least 12 coconuts-those guys are CRAZY!!

Whaaa? I thought Tom Hanks reality show Castaway did a GREAT job sharing with us needed survival skills!!! Dissing survival host Hanks borders blasphemy! :D

I think Joe is a better addition than Dave was. Joe and Cody seem to have a better rapport you can tell that by their ribbing of each other.

Funny, I'm watching Dual Survival right now and got curious as to why Dave Canterbury left the show. Seems he was fired for falsifying his resume. Maybe he can join Bear Grills(sp?) in a new survival show.

I always liked how Dave was always killing things to eat while Cody was grazing his way through the landscape.

Back