Yeti GOBOX Collection

Drew my Once and Lifetime Montana Goat Tag

trouthunterdj

Hello all,

This is my first post on this forum but have read here on and off. I have always thought the people here were looking out for the best interest of others. Anyway, I drew my first premium tag, and it is for Montana Goat. I want to go DIY but am wondering if this is feasible. I am 37 and in decent shape. I have hunted the West for elk, deer and antelope DIY and I know that any hunt is just that, a hunt. Also, I know that 10,000 feet is the great equalizer. I am wondering if I need an outfitter or if self guided has about the same success. Any help and information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

ddj

Congrats. Knowing what unit would help people give you advice about how doable the hunt will be as DIY. Will depend how close it is to your home and how much scouting that allows. How much time you can get away from work and family for scouting and hunting.

Whatever you decide, Good Luck.

Thanks for the reply, I live in Iowa and drew the 313 tag for the Crazies. I just started a new business 3 weeks ago so the timing wasn't the best ;) . I appreciate any help and opinions and look forward to being in the hills with a goat tag in my pocket. It is hunting, not shooting, right? :)

Thanks Again,

ddj

Congrats on the tag! Got the hard part down, somewhat. I went on a hunt with my older brother 2 years ago who drew in the Crazies. He was around your age at that time and did just fine. Best to be in the best shape you can get in, it can be very tough. I went in decent shape and that wasn't good enough. The further off the road and trails the better. I would also not plan on going in by yourself as goats love some of the most challenging terrain. DIY is very manageable. I would save your money, and do some looking and finding out all the info you can for the area you drew, rather than an outfitter. Maybe start by contacting biologist or local USFS/BLM offices, along with anyone that has hunted in the area. You did a very smart thing getting on here. We got into goats at around 8500 to 9600 ft. Time of year can be big as well if you are looking for a great coat later is obviously better, but also have to contend with the snow at higher elevations. A good friend of mine went in a little later and got snowed in for a couple of extra days so just something to keep in mind. Best of luck and look forward to the outcome.

Thanks for the info!! The day I recieved word of my luck and the tag I started to get back into mountain shape. I work out some but this is a different ballgame. A week ago I woke up at night worring about a new business and now it is a goat hunt. ;) This is much better!! I have a list of several past tag holder and have contacted the biologist also.

Thanks all,

ddj

The fact that you have hunted elk means nothing here.This goat hunting is an extreme business.Get yourself in the best shape of your life,because even if you hire a guide he won't be able to haul your aching butt (after the horse ride) up the rock to the goats.Hope you are comfortable with scary vertical terrain,....on yeah ,most of the upper peaks consist of loose scree which constantly shifts when you bear down on it.Speaking of bears, at least it is unlikely you will encounter a Grizz sniffing out goat gutpiles in this range.DO NOT plan your trip after September, the potential for bad weather by October is likely and it makes this hunt 100 % harder.
The reason goat hunting is the ultimate in Montana is because of the utter absurd challenge.Sure there are always the handful of hunts which go without a hitch ,but not many.I have been on two goat hunts and also climbed numerous peaks in the Crazies,...you have your work cut out for you,no point in sugar coating any of it.This site has a bunch of hardcore hunters who have been on goat hunts,good place to start.Congrats on the tag, don't squander it.It could be the most gratifying hunt you ever go on.Yes ,you can DIY at 37 ,many of us have.

Good luck to you.I hunted the Crazies last year and being in top shape isn't good enough.Get in the best shape possible,and then work even harder.I would definitely think its worth all that sweat to own that tag!!I know where the goats were where I hunted there,but I hope there are some a lot easier to get at.Talking to the biologist would be a priority,and then get a good look at your area on google earth,and call for some good maps
i'd love to have that tag,even though it'll be painful;success would be sweet.I'd go diy if you can get into the proper shape

Mountain goat hunt...

To start with I say congrats on your drawing of a goat tag. Now, find some stairs. Lots of stairs in a tall bldg. Climb, climb, climb up and down until your legs burn. Start now and continue to do so until you leave to hunt. The fact that you live in Iowa and have little steep terrain does not help. But, if you put an honest effort into training, training hard, it will serve you well. Listen to the forum members and contact a biologist for that area. Be prepared to hunt long and hard. Hope you are not intimidated by heights. The goats aren't. You have stated that you are 37 yrs. old. I will be 65 this coming July. I took my goat in the Cabinet mtns. last Oct. at approx. 8000'. It was tough on these old legs. But, I got my goat. A trip to the area this summer would be a good idea. Practice shooting at extreme angles up and down. Be prepared for difficult weather. There are many more points that you should take into consideration. But, get training now. You are in for a true adventure. Have a great hunt! MTG

Give up now and save yourself. Goat hunting is not for mortals...

The easiest part will be spotting them from 10 miles away.

Congrat's you got my tag by the way 7 pts. now for me there! I was in that area hunting last year that is some tuff country. All I can say is you better be in shape. I am the same age as you and I was running at least 5 miles 3-4 times a week and it still kicked my butt. I would hit it early while the weather may still be good. I was in there the first week of Nov. and it was a mess already roadwise. You could do it DIY but you better have your crap together or you will waste a tag of a lifetime seeing your from IA. And I was in the elk country not the goat country that's much higher.... Post your story we wanna see how it goes keep us posted.

I was at one time a All-American Cross Country runner so I know what "in shape" is and I'm not there right now. I am running stairs at our local stadium and a 15% grade on the tread right now as well as weights. I know it won't be enough but I will do everything I can between now and my hunt. I am contacting as many former 313 tag holders as I can and talking to biologists and game persons. I will give it my best shot. There are worse things than being in the high country with a goat tag in my pocket.

Thanks again for all the help and I will continue to appreciate the information and advise.

ddj

It's not that hard. Get in decent shape, put the boots on, and get at it.. it is the best/funnest hunting I have ever done. Don't let everyone scare you..tons of goats in that unit and they aren't that hard to get to. Goats are definitely a challenge, but you don't have to be Superman to kill one.

I don't know much about the Crazies, but there's a lot of goats, and lots of goat hunters. Getting a goat won't be that tough, getting a good billy with good hair is going to take either some effort, time, good luck, or some of each. -that's whether you go with an outfitter or not..

I've got a goat tag this season too, but not in the Crazies. I don't plan to be unprepared, and hope to be in the unit a lot this summer looking around. I'm pretty sure anybody with a resonable level of fitness and a plan could go in alone in most Montana mtn goat units, in late September, and shoot a decent goat.

Getting that extra two inches on horn and two inches on hair, is most likely going to take some time, luck, more pain than most hunts, more awesome days in awesome places, and more walk-away encounters with good goats that just don't make the grade. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

"The best part of Hunting and Fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back."

Robert Ruark - The Old Man and the Boy

That is the way I am approaching this hunt. I am going to use a small piece of paper to get my butt back in shape and plan and dream! If I get a goat or not, it will be a memory for the rest of my life and that what it is all about!! Right?

Thanks again for the replys all,

ddj

I would advise you to not go on this amazing hunt without someone along who has hunted steep stuff for goats. Navigating up and down steep stuff safely is not something you learn on the fly. Will you take an ice axe? The axe can save you if tumbling down a steep ridge. Can also glance into your thigh killing you. Can you use ropes to get off or onto ledges?

I went with a guide in Alaska for a goat and cheated death 2x in 5 days. I am not talking about came close to breaking a leg or losing some teeth. Actual death situations with inches and seconds to spare. I was 47 and in best shape of a decade yet by Day 3 my quads were wobbly.

Most of our hiking was under 15 degrees of incline along the glacier but then 30 to 70 up the ridges. We were above trees and not much under foot but loose rock, sandy grit and a film of ice at times. The best way to come down a steep ridge is to walk down the ridge facing out and that is just not right for a flat lander.

For training, climb stairs. Figure out your pack weight for the hunt then carry that plus 20 pounds so cover weight of gun, etc. I carried 70 pound pack as I trained. Mystery Ranch 6500 made 70 pounds feel like 50. Learn to properly load the pack to avoid the pack swaying side to side when are on uneven ground with feet slipping left and right.

Good luck and be safe out there.

Congrats! Though I didn't pull the trigger, I've tagged along on a goat hunt and I'm far, far from the picture of "in shape". Fitness will only help, but IMO it's as much a mental thing as physical. Weighted squats and lunges sure helped me. My pard never runs, but squats regularly and he can go as far and as long in the hills as anyone. FWIW...

I like your mind set and hope you the best of luck. Here's a couple of pics to fuel the fire...

See, even I can do it!
820810532109_0_ALB.jpg

PB100042.jpg

910810532109_0_ALB.jpg

Getting that extra two inches on horn and two inches on hair, is most likely going to take some time, luck, more pain than most hunts, more awesome days in awesome places, and more walk-away encounters with good goats that just don't make the grade. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

That sums it up right there.

If you want to shoot "a goat"..it will be fairly easy. If you want a true, mature, trophy billy..it will take some effort and the ability to pass on numerous smaller goats.

Thanks Again Guys!

I will do everything I can between now and Sept and let the chips fall where they may. Hopefully I get a chance at a Billy.

I will enjoy my time in the high country. That what it is all about!

ddj

Back