Dream Season Continues

live free or die

Although I have had a fabulous season this year ( bear;archery doe, 8 point archery buck and 8 point 200 lb rifle buck )I would have given it all up for just one deer for either of my son's .
Personally I treasure the moments spent hunting together more than anything. Ten days at camp during Thanksgiving with both boys was probably my personal favorite but my younger partners still place alot of importance on the harvest.
With both boys in college this year, they have had very little time to join me making Thanksgiving even more special. That was Jacobs only opportunity to hunt being 6 hours and two states away, but he did manage to track a deer in fresh snow the last day at camp. He followed it for about two miles and jumped it from its bed twice but just couldn't seal the deal. He was proud of himself for being able to pull that off, and was not sorry for missing the shot. Pretty good attitude for an eighteen year old!
Sam my twenty year old is a fanatic when it comes to hunting ( wonder where he gets that from, lol ) He put in hundreds of hours scouting while home from school this summer, setting and checking cameras, moving stands etc.
Although only two hours away, he does realize his priority is school and could only get away two or three weekends for archery season and chose not to take some easy shots at does, waiting for that buck to show. Ten days at Thanksgiving break, despite hunting hard, all he saw were does again.
Well, this weekend he came home for two days knowing, with finals coming it would be his last opportunity this year.
Friday was spent exploring some new territory which looked pretty good, so Saturday he decided to return. After about 1 hour of still hunting he finally got his well deserved reward.
He did it alone one on one just how he likes it!
Definately the highlight of MY season.

Attachments

• father  son.jpg
    father son.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 336
  • father son.jpg
    father son.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 333
  • sam deer.jpg
    sam deer.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 345
  • sams buck.jpg
    sams buck.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 335
  • work begins.jpg
    work begins.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 337
Thats a great NH buck! Congrats on a great season.

Streamer, in the east they leave the rear end like that in case they need to back up. :D

Not sure myself what is hanging out of the ass of that deer myself? Anyhow, I still see that kind of hunting to be challenging, ...four inches of dry,fallen leaves ,though beautiful,is not quiet to walk in.Most of the whitetail hunters out here don't have a clue how to effectively hunt whiteys, and put them in that kind of woods,they would be even more clueless,not to mention lost(without expensive GPS).Still no mention of rattling/grunting.The still hunting would be obvious,but do you guys use more aggressive tactics? looks like fun hunting to me,congrats.

thanks guys
ya streamer nice grab. We typically hang the jewels in a branch out of reach of the coyotes out of respect to the deer. First time field dressing buck for son and I did not notice till we got to rig.
Funny thou they allways disapear in a day or so, someday I'll set a camera on them to see. Hawk or owl I assume.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back