Dream Hunt

This is the only animal you can hunt the rest of your life

• Total voters
I went with sheep, along with all the sheep in north America there are still others you could hunt around the world and would have different looking animals on my wall still. Thats dream hunting though, in reality i would have to stick with elk or mule deer.

Alaskan Moose for me hoping with some help from all u natives up yonder I can start planning and such for next year

Other, there's something about a flock of birds going somewhere else that you call to and they turn and cup. The anticipation of the morning while you set out decoys. The fact you can socialize with friends while you wait for the next flight. Watching the dog quiver with excitement as the birds approach the blocks, and how he proudly holds a bird up to your hand so you can take it. The look in his eyes when you whiff on an easy crossing shot, and nothing falls. Waterfowl.

Gotta go with elk, Bob. No question it is a tough decision. Grab a horse and your pack and your gun, then head for the hills chasing wapiti - takes the cake!

Tough choice between sheep and mule deer, but had to go with mule deer. Wouldn't know I like hunting them so much, considering that I've killed as many sheep in the last 6 years as I have mule deer.:confused:

I live in prime blacktail deer country. Maybe I am taking them for granted by not picking them. But if my main "big" hunt for each of the last seven years is any indication, then it is elk by a long shot.

Of course I want to kill an elk in every one of the 11 Western states so it may take me the rest of my life to do that. Part of the appeal is the rut hunt, and the fact that there is an elk season open from Aug15-Nov 30 somewhere.

Someone earlier was concerned about packing out an elk. I'd say in 20 years of hunting there is a good chance for you to mentor a youngster who would be willing to take on the physical aspect of the successful elk hunt for the next 20.

The other thing I like about the style of elk hunt I do is the time in the hills with my horses and maybe mules. That is as much the appeal as the species itself. There is something about a backcountry hunt that you can't get day-hunting from home (which is what I grew up doing).

You all are making some very persuasive arguments, and I'm soooo glad that this is only an intellectual exercise but choc dogs nailed it for me. The interaction I get with my quarry, and friends furry and not furry makes waterfowl my choice.

I think I've missed one elk season since I've started hunting them and hope to never miss another. As much as I enjoy chasing other things, elk just really do it for me.

Great question.

I chose bears, but changed my mind and then chose elk. The thought of eating bears the rest of my life was just too much.!!! LOL

Elk are hardy, and truly exciting to hunt. If forced to choose one, has to be elk.

I have become seriously addicted to spring bear hunting in the past few years. Soooo much fun!! But I also live in the middle of beartopia.

Coues Whitetail deer. They have been my choice hunt for 30 years.I do not see mountain lions but that would be right at the top next to coues whitetail. I love chasing those big cats as much as anything. Trailing your hounds and seeing them work is just unmatched.

I'm thinking I should change mine, after all, I'm passing on waterfowl tomorrow to go chase deer with a bow. Nah, I'm still more likely to pass on deer for waterfowl, if I had something in my freezer right now, I'd be reloading shotgun shells.

I am choosing whitetail because we only have whitetails where I live. Choosing a different species would allow me to maybe hunt the animal for a couple of weeks during a vacation whereas I can go out hunting whitetails for a few months. I have not had a lot of chances to hunt other species, but if I did, my choice would maybe be different. A "dream hunt" for me would probably be a moose or a sheep, but this isn't something I would necessarily want to hunt every year.

Elk hands down because they are big loud and proud! Lots of good meat to eat all year long..

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back