MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Doves and Darlings

Muskeez

I have never had much interest in shooting doves, various reasons, but the neighbor kid has been bugging me for 3 years to join him. My wife and daughter thought they would like to try it this year, so I finally gave in. I have to admit, it was a lot of fun. Our field wasn't the best set up and there were a ton of hunters out but we still got some shooting and both of the girls got their first game bird on their own. They have shot deer and antelope, but no other small game. Yes, I know I did it backwards. Anyway, lesson learned, don't knock it till you try it. The best part is that even though I gave up duck and goose hunting many years ago the girls are excited to try that too so that will equal more days in the field with them. Can't argue with that !

Attachments

• IMG_4045.jpg
    IMG_4045.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_4047.jpg
    IMG_4047.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG954037.jpg
    IMG954037.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 287
Normally I don't miss a dove hunt, but I didn't have vacation time for it this year. They eat as well as anything, you don't have to get up early, get to shoot lots and its not cold. For me growing up as a bird hunter it was really the kickoff to the fall hunting season.

Sadly we do have to get up early. In Iowa the DNR plants sunflower fields, then runs a disc through them a week before season. The doves pile into these fields. They only plant 6-12 such fields per county. So Monday evening, we go out to scout a field. By the time we get back to the road there is a fella parked next to my truck. (6:30 pm) He is there to be sure his crew gets that 1 acre field of sunflowers for the next morning, opening day. He spent the night in his truck. This is a common theme at all of the good fields. We got to another field at 4 am and there were 7 trucks parked there already. Our back up spot had one truck and plenty of room for us, just way fewer birds. We still had lots of hunters show up at shooting time, but it all worked out. This is the reason I gave up waterfowl hunting so many years ago. I can climb in a treestand any day at any time, without leaving the house at midnight to shoot a few birds. In both cases it's simply a matter of not enough public land for all the hunters. All in all, still a great morning with my girls!

Great pic, looks like the ladies had a wonderful time with some good shooting
I got out after work with my son and his friend (a first timer).
We battled mosquito and the fast fliers. No limits but just enough to feed the three of us tonight. Hold on these are teenagers better through on a back strap.

I did it last year for the first time and it was a blast. I had a field scouted and i was ready to go again yesterday but my 10 year old got heat exhaustion from football practice and was puking Monday night. So i didn't get out.

Any chance to hunt and get the dog out i will take.

Sweet! We never miss the dove opener.

It's typically much more productive than the deer and elk hunting this early.

I know here in Va, if there is any dairies in the a chopping silage there are birds around. If you can make any connections like a friend of a friends fiirst counsins dogs babysitter, you can usually get permission pretty easy. Dove hunters always seem to come and go for our farm. Young guys get jobs and get married and give it up and then they start back up when their kids get old enough. Its kind of cool to see that cycle.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back