Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Dove Decoys - yes or no

I put my mojo on top of a 10' piece of PVC. Also have a cross piece as well I clip the static decoys to. The mojo works great early dove season.

I use both still and motion decoys here in TX. In my opinion both help to varying degrees. I've never seen them flair birds either.

Put the mojo on a pole and put your dove basket below it....lol

They are fast, but not so smart...

Yes. They don’t work on every dove that flies by, but they do work and will give you a lot of shots at dove trying to land in your decoys. Mojos get more attention from farther away. I don’t know if it’s true or just my imagination, but I feel like mojos worked a lot better when they were brand new, and fewer dove are fooled by them now.

Are they required? No. Will they double your take? Possibly. Do they help? For sure! Do I bother with them every time? Definitely not.

When I was a kid there was an old dead Cottonwood tree at the edge of some fields that people would dove hunt. I would climb up and put my two dove decoys out on a limb. when the people started pushing the field the doves would head in my direction and then seeing the decoys come to the tree where I would shoot them. I always had my limit way before the field pushers.

My experience with decoys is they work early in the season but not as noticeably later. I also recommend the mojo or something with some movement. Good luck!

I haven’t hunted doves for a few years and never with mojos but I hunted them for years down around the lower Colorado River around ag fields and desert transition zones. Desert washes too. After the first morning’s shoot we used still decoys a lot. Bare branches in roosting trees, along ditches and corners of fields. Sometime on the ground where they gravel up. They fly sight lines and it’s not like they are wise old birds. Sure movement helps but if they are already flying in the general vicinity we found still decoys worked (the birds in the washes put on oxygen masks after day one. I don’t know if anything would bring those birds in but pass shooting was fun as....).

Early season, 2-3 spinning wing mojos is a must for me... Hunting in the Imperial Valley, CA that has been devastating effective setup for me. This of course is assuming your at least close to a field/ flyway that the birds want to be.

Anecdotally, I could feel the glares last year from the decoyless group down the way from me as my mojos were pulling in the doves hot and heavy. As soon as I got my limit and they asked if they could shoot over my deeks while I packed up (which I obliged) watched the group of 3 finish off a limit each in short order. They just plain work.

I've found the mojo works best in the evenings by a water pond. I've even used a wood duck mojo and the came right in.

Waste of time and money, in Arizona doves are everywhere, and especially the Eurasians , if you can't get your limits on dove anywhere south of Maricopa county, then you simply can't shoot,

Mojo decoys are great and work well. First time I used one was a game changer. My brother and I were set up in a fairly busy area on public land. We were the only ones with a decoy,and we were shooting all morning. A father and son ended up moving closer to where we were set up. They must've been watching the flyways that the dove were using to come into our decoy. They ended up shooting a bunch too. Good for them, it was one of the coolest dove hunting experiences I have had. We were all totally together as a single team bouncing them back and forth when they'd come in to the decoy. Never did get their name but they waved goodbye when they were out of shells I assume.

Get a mojo decoy, it'll work.

I love the mojo i have them fly in and attempt to land by it a lot.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back