Double Rifle

Europe

I have been ask several times about a double rifle and was asked to post this as well. I do so knowing there are several here with more knowledge than I so feel free to correct me as the important thing is to get good information to the fellows.

Many here and other places have asked about getting a non dangerous game caliber double rifle. I would never tell anyone not to get a rifle they want, but speaking only for myself, I would not. There is nothing a double can do a bolt action can not do with the exception of getting off a quicker second shot. Doubles are expensive, are regulated ( hard to change ammo-weight, powder, even bullet mfg, velocity ), heavy, and are short range rifles. Yes, people like Chapuis and Fortner have come up with ways that allow loads to be changed but they are not cheap or even good, IMHO.

However, if you are headed to Africa and intend to hunt Dangerous game, then the "idea" of owning and hunting with a double rifle is hard to resist and we did not. There is, in fact, something about hunting with a double in Africa that just makes it --"perfect"

But if you go down that rabbit hole, I recommend you get a double that "fits" you and should come to the shoulder like a fine shotgun. I would recommend a 450/400 with a Trijicon RMR , double triggers, side locks, ( instead of the box lock ) and we always bought an extra set of side locks in case something broke ) ---this has been debated for a long time, we just preferred side locks---BUT. there are some very good guns made with box locks. Also W.R. makes a drop lock and if you carry an extra drop lock with you, this is a very easy repair. Also the Germans have the Blitz. All the patents have expired years ago and there are many variations to chose from.

I have to admit I am curious as to the mind set of those younger than I. If you were headed to Africa for a DG hunt and was going to buy a double rifle----what caliber would it be ?

Last edited:
I think I would opt for the 470NE. Having never owned, fired or handled a double, I have no real argument for why a 470 piques my interest, but it does.

April, thank you.

I have actually been discussing this with my grandmother as I want a new 375 H & H more than a new car o_O

I want to use it for coastal bear hunts, moose and God willing someday in Africa. A 375 would allow me to hunt plains game and dangerous game with one rifle.

A friend has a Heym, it has side locks but is sooooooo nice and is not as much a some of th english built rifles. Also looking at the ones made in Calif. He also does a nice job

April, thank you.

I have actually been discussing this with my grandmother as I want a new 375 H & H more than a new car o_O

I want to use it for coastal bear hunts, moose and God willing someday in Africa. A 375 would allow me to hunt plains game and dangerous game with one rifle.

A friend has a Heym, it has side locks but is sooooooo nice and is not as much a some of th english built rifles. Also looking at the ones made in Calif. He also does a nice job

If you go a 375 in a double opt for the flanged magnum not the standard 375H&H. The belted version is prone to jamming in a double.

I've wanted a 450-400 NE since I was a kid, more pragmatically a 9.3x74R would be great. And versatile enough for use on deer sized game too.

I'd take a 450/400 NE in a single shot stalking rifle. That would be perfect for Buffalo.

Carl and Deer Shooter --------those choosing the 470NE will find ammo easier to find in Africa---

Aussie hunter. LOVE my 450/400 I hope you get one, but the 9.3 x 74R is not chopped liver

sticks and randi,------- Aussie hunter is correct on both points. When you decide to order yours Randi dont forget this information

Ben, Holland and Holland make nice doubles (-: Also, the single shot on buffalo will work, because the PH will be there, but I hope he doesn't shoot or finish shooting the animal ---however, many hunt with muzzleloaders --successfully,------ sometimes successfully for the hunter and sometimes successfully for the animal (-:

John, my husband shot a 505 Gibbs once. The key word here is , once. (-;

Last edited:
If you go a 375 in a double opt for the flanged magnum not the standard 375H&H. The belted version is prone to jamming in a double.

Thank you

Aussiehunterjd,
April
anyone

Do you have an opinion about Heym doubles ?

Randi, Heym makes excellent doubles

but, in reading your post, if your speaking of Searcy in Calif, even better. For one thing they are in Calif. Fly down and meet with them and they will make the rifle to fit you, plus whatever engraving you want, or dont want. One of their standard calibers is the 375 H & H Flanged and the price, depending on the wood, sights ( or scope ) and engraving you chose, will be competitive. Check out the Trijion. I will send you more info on the what I am talking about. However I would be interested in their opinion as well, in regards to the proper sights and/or scope that would work for you

Carl, many do use the 9.3 x 62 and also the 9.3 x 64 B, successfully I might add. hope you get there

I'd like to do that once as well, ha!

Not a double rifle, but I would love to hunt africa with my 9.3x62.

Some countries will allow you to hunt everything up to and including elephant with the venerable 9.3x62. When I go eventually I'll be taking mine. Challenge in southern Africa is finding a non high fenced hunt that's reasonably priced!

I'll admit that the plethora of game here in the U.S. leaves me little desire to travel to Africa for that purpose, but the rifles for dangerous game have always intrigued me. I'm interested in seeing the thoughts of those who have experience with them.

I have owned a double rifle. It was English (Joseph Lang), and it was beautiful! But, but, but. It was "just" a muzzleloader and about .635" or 18 bore. Made in about 1830 as best as I can tell. Right on the cusp of the dawn of the percussion era.

If I was going to buy another double to hunt with and it was going to use smokeless powder, I would probably buy a .375 or 9.3 unless elephants were on the menu. No reason to carry the weight or the recoil of a .45 in a modern cartridge for anything less.

I was surprised to see you recommended sidelocks, April, until you mention having spare locks - I can see the appeal of spare drop locks but they are so expensive, and so uncommon and used guns never come with spare locks that I have ever seen. Instead, i would get spare springs and the tools to change them if I was really concerned. That said, how many folks bring spare elephant rifles in case their primary bolt rifle fails? I think the boxlock doubles will suffice at a much lower price point.

I like Merkels - not as much as English, but they are pretty darn reliable, strong, and somewhat reasonably priced guns - at least the shotguns are. I have one of those.

I bought my double to hunt moose, but I sold it. The moose hunting (muzzleloader only) dried up and as a deer rifle - I really had no need for both barrels. I turned a hefty profit and used that to finance a much better moose hunt with a modern cartridge rifle (albeit a single shot).

Doubles are cool as heck and they tend to hold their value (though the market in double shotties is definitely softening), but you can do a lot of other things with that money too.

I love doubles as much as anyone, but I'd rather have a great singleshot or a lever rifle and more money in the next hunt. (I say this while spending stupid money to fix a double bird gun and find yet another to go with the others).

Back