Young Gun Salesman had no idea about a Double Action Revolver

It’s a sad 😔 time in retail given the lack of help, good help, engaged help or the pride in being the best at what you do help. I look forward to seeing the pendulum swing back towards the center someday😳…..it usually does.

Bought a 20 gauge benelli some years back. The kid behind the counter was tactical Chad's little brother, "tactical chode" asked me why I was buying a 20 gauge. I didn't really have an answer for him. He replied " if it were me I'd buy a 12". Thanks for the help shrimp dick.

Same store I bought a 25-06 different young guy behind the counter told me that was a horrible choice and I'd never find ammo for it. I said yeah I don't think it'll be a problem. He assured me that Walmart doesn't sell ammo for it. 🙄 good to know.

Lack of product knowledge owes more to the HR dept’s training criteria. I’m just happy to see people trying work.
Good point! Folks here can’t find people for open positions. We’re talking good paying jobs for the area with insurance and retirement. So I’ll tell my “kid behind the counter” story but this “kid” was in his 50’s. Sportsman’s Warehouse in Lexington, KY. I was looking at a Browning Silver Stalker 12 gauge and asked the man behind the counter to let me see it. When he handed it to me I noticed his name tag said Firearms Manager. As I was looking at the shotgun, I asked him if this particular model was backbored. He didn’t miss a beat and said “No, that model is not made for slugs so it’s not bore sighted.” I just said thanks and handed it back to him.

Good point! Folks here can’t find people for open positions. We’re talking good paying jobs for the area with insurance and retirement. So I’ll tell my “kid behind the counter” story but this “kid” was in his 50’s. Sportsman’s Warehouse in Lexington, KY. I was looking at a Browning Silver Stalker 12 gauge and asked the man behind the counter to let me see it. When he handed it to me I noticed his name tag said Firearms Manager. As I was looking at the shotgun, I asked him if this particular model was backbored. He didn’t miss a beat and said “No, that model is not made for slugs so it’s not bore sighted.” I just said thanks and handed it back to him.

I completely understand his answer, construction has ruined my hearing.

What's K-Mart?🤣🤣🤣🤣 I'm kidding.
Used to go there for snow cones and "HUSKY" wranglers
There was lady pushing a cart around with random crap in it. The blue light worked like an outdoor bulb in summer time.... except it attracted pissed off mom's instead of mosquitoes and moths. I miss Kmart.
I still have over 1k rounds of Winchester 3-1/2" Drylok BB , & 000, that I picked up for under $2 a box when they decided ammunition was a bad thing to sell.

Just the other week I was in a large outdoor box store. I was looking to buy a T3X in .308, sadly they had none. Asked to look at the 243 since it was a short action to check on fit. The young lad behind the counter corrected me confidently that it was a 243 Win mag.
I didn't bother, I'm sure he'll run into surlier guys in his time at the gun counter.
It's a little known fact, but if you press two SRP (gotta use lube) into a 243 pocket, it has the same ballistics as a .300wsm. I've heard that kimber is developing a new line of short mags just to accommodate this breakthrough in ballistic technology. Your boy behind the counter needs to learn that loose lips sink ships

The last couple sporting goods store I went to there wasnt anyone around that knew how to open the case the scopes were in let alone knew anything about firearms.
I was not shocked by this as it seems the norm these days. Year ago I used to rely on the guy behind the counter for advise on new products but now with all the online info these days theres not much need for that type of employee. I know what Im looking for these days when I head to the store. I mostly buy online. Not buying many firearms these days.

My local scheels used to have 3 really good gun guys now they’re down to 1. If I know I’m making a big purchase I call ahead to make sure he’s working cause I’ve had the other help butcher simple things like scope mounting.

Three years ago I bought a Kimber Hunter in 28AI, It has a 3 round removable magazine. I was talking with my nephew, who is 34. He had just bought some 223 AR style rifle with a bunch of 30 round mags for $499.

The first question he asked me when I began telling him I bought a new rifle rmyself was; "How many rounds does it hold"?
I said 3. Silence on the phone, then he says "Did you mean 30?"

No I replied, 3.

More silence then "Why did you ever buy it"? and when I told him i paid under $800, he visibly winched in discomfort.

I explained, the caliber is great, it weighs only 5.75 pounds, it has a pre-64 steamlined action, a match grade 24" barrel
and it will "clover-leaf for the first three shots.

He had no idea what "cloverleaf meant" I explained. He responded by saying how many, many, mamy times he could hit a beer can.

We had simliar coversation the year before. He was buying his first defense handgun.

He wanted to know what I had.

I showed him my pinned barrel vintage Model 60 Smith and Wesson 38 special. I had the double action professionally worked, smooth as glass.

He looked at it and asked how many rounds. When I said 5, he said. "Not even 6? He showed no interested in even looking at it. He too had no idea what a double action revolver was about.
people like this is the reason that l despise my generation.

The first time I used a double action was when I visited Montana, but then again it was the first time I had ever fired a handgun, in 2014, when I was 54 years old.

This thread is just more proof of why you shouldn't shop at the big box stores. Most of the people working there are doing for a paycheck not because it's a passion. There's so much changing with guns on a daily basis it's hard to keep track of everything. Should they know the basics yes.

Someone I know went looking for some 280 ammo over the weekend and one store told him "we have some 270 ammo it'll work"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back