Recommendations for a new varmint rifle

WNC2500

So, we all want to put new guns into our arsenal. I would like HT's help but mainly experience with rifles for varmints. This would be for up from zero to 400-500 yards. I am somewhat set on the 22-250 mainly because of fps and factory ammo but open to other possibilities. I have browsed so far with Tikka/Browning/Bergara/Christensen but mainly just online shopping.

My main question to you is:

1) What is your most accurate varmint rifle? Caliber? Make/Model/Brand? Twist? I am mainly asking for peoples experiences with certain calibers and makes that they have used effectively over the years. What gun do you swear by?
2) I am somewhat confined to factory ammo only as I don't reload, so take that into account.
3) I would not need it to double as a deer gun also. I have deer caliber and larger game calibers covered.
4) Thanks to @p_ham and @220yotekiller for answering questions already. @220yotekiller is of course high on the 220 Swift, but again, factory ammo is a huge factor for me.

Thanks in advance

Mine was a Ruger M77 MKII V/T in 25-06 Remington. 1-10" tw, 26" heavy barrel. Shot bugholes with everything except for 115gr Ballistic Tips.
The varmint bullets did a number on rabbits, prairie dogs, and a few badgers. Never any coyotes. I wouldn't recommend 25-06 as a strictly-varminting cartridge, though. They made that rifle in 22-250, 6.5 Creed, 243, and a couple others.
I sold it when I got an offer on a Sako 85 in 25-06.
Good luck with your search.
listing_pic_940590_1422818879.jpeg

Tikka sporter, Varmint, or CTR/Tactical (in that order) in 223 with an 8 twist.

Then, buy a pile of ADI (formerly Austrailian Outback) 55 grain sierra blitzking ammo @ $0.70/ea and some more expensive ammo with 77TMK if you want something that bucks wind better on longer shots. ADI is who manufactures hodgdon powder. This ammo shoots freakin awesome in my tikka and costs basically what it would cost me to load myself in current component prices and leaves you with awesome quality fired brass all for the price that just new lapua component brass would cost per round! If it's a "varmint rifle" I assume you want to shoot the damn thing with less worries about ammo cost, barrel heating up, and torching a throat.

Spend your ammo savings on more ammo or a better scope that will dial accurately and have accurate reticle subtensions. Make up for any compromises in flat shooting with accurate scope adjustments and holds.

Rem 700 vs ss. 22-250. 55 hornady vmax factory hornady ammo. Shoots clover clears. That's the first and only ammo I've ever tried in it. Has killed a pike of coyotes none have taken more than a couple leaps or spins.

If it were me with those parameters...Tikka CTR in .223, Hornady 73 gr. ELD-M. Sure the 22-250 burns more powder, but most factory bullet offerings for it have the BC of a rock. By the time you get to 400-500 yds the slicker factory .223 will absolutely dust most anything that's available in a 250.

Just bench racing real quick for a ballpark, 22-250 at 3700 fps with 55vmax vs. 223 at 2850 with 73 eldm...the 223/eldm has less wind drift at 500 yds and with less boom.

Edited: I jacked up the velocity the first time around.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it were me with those parameters...Tikka CTR in .223, Hornady 73 gr. ELD-M. Sure the 22-250 burns more powder, but most factory bullet offerings for it have the BC of a rock. By the time you get to 400-500 yds the slicker factory .223 will absolutely dust most anything that's available in a 250.

Just bench racing real quick for a ballpark, 22-250 at 3100 fps with 55vmax vs. 223 at 2850 with 73 eldm...the 223/eldm has over a foot less wind drift at 500 yds and with less boom.

@SnowyMountaineer , maybe I have not thought about it that way. I guess i think of the 3800-4200 fps that I saw on some load data and don't process that out further balistically.....and the force that it will hit at, at 400 yds for example. Thanks for adding another wrinkle to my brain to have to think through. That is the value of this forum!

My wife's uncle had the same early 80's M70 bouncing around in the feed truck for damn near 40 years, .22-250, and on it's third barrel until this winter. Hired man left it leaning against the truck, then ran it over. Replaced it with a Ruger American Predator in .22-250. I haven't futzed with it yet to develop a load, but it's shooting pretty good for what it is with the old loads.

I have wanting to build a .243 win with a fast twist (maybe 1-8")just for longer shots. Components would be easy/cheap and could use a big game rifle if want to.

Added: i usually hunt with atleast 60gr bullets to meet laws for wolves/lions/big game

Another vote for 223 if you are not hand loading. The variety, availability and cost of ammo is a big thing. I don't know what your budget is but there are some good suggestion so far. The Tikka (yes I shoot one and love it) is a great platform stock and has plenty of options if you want to go to a chassis. Another possibility at a bit lower cost would be the Ruger American Predator(standard with a rail and threaded barrel as well as uses AR magazines). Not as polished but still a good performing rifle with aftermarket support. For comparison the Ruger is currently $549 and the Tikka starts at $749

I am thinking dialing. Coyotes, prairie dogs, gophers, badgers mainly, (but not lions, tigers, bears, oh my).

I have wanting to build a .243 win with a fast twist (maybe 1-8")just for longer shots. Components would be easy/cheap and could use a big game rifle if want to.

Added: i usually hunt with atleast 60gr bullets to meet laws for wolves/lions/big game
This is basically a 6mm creedmoor.
I like!

I am thinking dialing. Coyotes, prairie dogs, gophers, badgers mainly, (but not lions, tigers, bears, oh my).

500 yards the 22 cals start running out of steam for coyotes. If more coyotes than anything and 500 yards id lean towards a fast twist 6mm. There’s good 6mm creedmoor factory rounds. If more called coyotes and long range prairie dogs id say a fast twist 223 or a 22-250.

Honestly if you are dialing then get a 6mm creedmoor. It's great against the wind and I'm paying less than a buck a round for hornady factory ammo.
Mine is a simple Ruger american predator

I shoot an .204 Ruger AR that I built using Sharps Bros Upper and lower and a Proof research carbon barrel. It shoots 40 grain Hornady Superformance really well. Since I finally switched over to the AR platform for coyotes I don't think that I could ever go back to a bolt gun.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back