Recommendations for a new varmint rifle

I have a Savage 12FV in 22-250 and love it. Shoots 53g V-max great. Also a 224 Valkyrie in an AR and it loves 77g TMK Sierras. Between the two I usually grab the Valkyrie just because follow up are a bit easier if off the cuff type shooting.

Temped to build another AR in either 204 or 6mm creed.

I don't have an exact number but I know it is very far north of 50 coyotes that I have killed with a Tikka T3 in .223.

smkHlKIl.jpg

wmS6ejGl.jpg

6vOunecl.jpg

I would just grab one and a bunch of ammo that shoots well in it and call it good.

I don't have an exact number but I know it is very far north of 50 coyotes that I have killed with a Tikka T3 in .223.

smkHlKIl.jpg

wmS6ejGl.jpg

6vOunecl.jpg

I would just grab one and a bunch of ammo that shoots well in it and call it good.
I’d like to find one of them for a calling rifle. Not sure it would be my pick for 500 yard coyotes though

When I started shooting benchrest many years ago almost everyone shot a Remington 700. My favorite varmint rifles over the years have also been 700's. I know this is not popular with the current keyboard crowd who have never really used one extensively, but you just might find that a new production 700 is still a good choice.

I know this is not popular with the current keyboard crowd who have never really used one extensively,
I’ve owned one or two Remingtons. The problem today is you pay $800 for one and still have to replace the terrible stock and the 8lb trigger and hope the barrel is worth a shit. They are a great action to build off though because there are so many after market parts

I’ve owned one or two Remingtons. The problem today is you pay $800 for one and still have to replace the terrible stock and the 8lb trigger and hope the barrel is worth a shit. They are a great action to build off though because there are so many after market parts
Are you talking about the 700 A1? mtmuley

The plastic version of the stock is indeed terrible, but the laminated wood and walnut are both very usable with proper bedding. I do pop in a different trigger, but the barrels are usually pretty good.

Are you talking about the 700 A1? mtmuley
Haven’t been around one of the new A1 but looking at the specs they are going to be quite a bit north of $800 for them.

A little google search turned up a 308 for $1600

Last edited:
I have a Savage 12FV in 22-250 and love it. Shoots 53g V-max great.

I've got the same rifle in .204 Ruger, and my dad has it in .22-250 as well as the .204. For a prairie dog town, it's a ton of fun. With the 32gr V-Max, I get dime sized groups at 100 yards, and the accuracy holds out to 200+. Light for long distance 'yotes, although a friend shoots plenty of coyotes with handloaded .204's for the lack of pelt damage. At the time got it (2018?), Cabela's had a special for $250, and offered it in .204, .223, 22-250, 6.5mm, .308 etc. I'm not sure if Savage is still offering the gun.

I'm a Tikka fan, and think the value for the quality and accuracy are hard to beat. The Savage was just a good deal in a fun cartridge for small varmints. But the .204 is likely not fitting your bill as well as others, and the ammo availability/price has diminished.

After looking at so many of the recommendations on here, I started looked at the BC on a lot of these.

6mm BC is .50 or above
220 Swift is .255 mult
.223 around the .254 range all the way up to .290
22-250 is at .242 BC
224 Valkyrie is .545 BC

Things that make you go hmmmm. How much do you guys focus on the BC?

Had just looked at this thread again yesterday....went to work and in come a 20 something kid and his girlfriend looking for a scope. He was just gifted a Vanguard in 7mm. He chose a Rage in 4x16x42 and I went to mounting it for him. Talking to him as I am finishing up I asked what his plans for the rig were......he said.....and I shiz you NOT......"This will be my dedicated coyote gun." All I could say was "Well, that IS a technique." :ROFLMAO:

Had just looked at this thread again yesterday....went to work and in come a 20 something kid and his girlfriend looking for a scope. He was just gifted a Vanguard in 7mm. He chose a Rage in 4x16x42 and I went to mounting it for him. Talking to him as I am finishing up I asked what his plans for the rig were......he said.....and I shiz you NOT......"This will be my dedicated coyote gun." All I could say was "Well, that IS a technique." :ROFLMAO:

LOL!! Lots of gun for a yote

7mm Remington Magnum at about 325 yards. Damn thing still ran 75 yards before tipping over

20190306_071021.jpg
20190305_080909.jpg

For bang for the buck I would pick a Ruger American predator in 223. It is twisted to shoot heavies and the rifles really shoot. Otherwise I would consider the tikka models for the same reason but they add a little more to the budget. 223 ammo is plentiful and lots of options from the factory.

Too bad you don't reload, 220 Swift would be my 1st choice but at 40 bucks at least for a box of 20 that is not reasonable, so I would recommend a Ruger American Predator in 22-250 just picked another 1 up last week 1:10 twist gives you a pretty decent range of bullet options and for the money they shoot really well....stick a Leupold CDS on it and let'r rip. Good luck post up what you get!!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back