Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Doing the Right Thing

WestT

Well I've been following this site for a while but have yet to post. Figure I would share my experience this past Friday in hopes that it could be of benefit/inpiration to someone else. I live in Illinois and had a fantastic deer season thus far. I have two does and a 9 pointer in my freezer which will be perfect to keep me and my family in meat until next season. As I simply love to be out in the woods hunting I decided that I would go out on Friday in hopes a true monster would come by but moreso simply to enjoy the fall weather and hopefully get to observe some wildlife. It was an uneventful sit as far as animal sightings go but just before dark I heard something approaching from behind me. Sure enough it was a forhorn coming down the ridge towards me. I was enjoying the show and perfectly content to just watch this guy until he got directly below me. That's when I saw it. The arrow sticking out...I was down to my last buck tag and lots of season left. The rut is really hot right now and odds of seeing a really big deer are in my favor. But you as well as I know that as sportsman our decisions are not always easy ones. So I did what I felt was the right thing to do. Rather than allow this animal to suffer a slow and painful death I ended his suffering quickly. (This is almost the 2nd half of a recent post by Rut Junkey) The arrow you see protruding from the buck in the attached photo is not mine. It's what I saw when he walked underneath me. So my season is over but I'll sleep well knowing I did what I needed to do. Fortunately I had a friend who was needing some meat so the deer will be fully utilized. He only had to throw out about half a back strap due to spoiling/infection.

Attachments

• photo 1 - Copy.jpg
    photo 1 - Copy.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 714
  • IMG_0038 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0038 - Copy.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 709
Good Man!! Thanks for exhibiting the true sportsman like conduct we all should emulate.

That's remarkable. Commendations to you. I hope you are rewarded next year with a buck of your dreams.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back