Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

DOGS & BEAR MEAT?

N

ntodwild

Brots, kielbasa, hot links?????

Ok, I am in a dilema on what to do with 40lbs of scrap "black" bear meat. I have done ground in the past but didn't care much for it as bear meat has to be cooked well done and I don't like well done meatloaf or burgers (hockey pucks). I considered breakfast sausage but it's not a staple of mine so I was wondering how many of you have made some form of dogs out of bear meat and thoughts? Yes part of it will be turned into pepperoni which is always a favorite of mine in the field but the other half is up in the air right now.

I never experimented too much with sausage. You'll have to post on how it turns out. However, I believe part of your dilemma is why God granted us the gift of chili.

I never experimented too much with sausage. You'll have to post on how it turns out. However, I believe part of your dilemma is why God granted us the gift of chili.

Love Chili myself but already have a freezer full of Elk stews and chili so I am thinking I would go in another direction I have not tried before.

this issue is why i have never purchased a bear permit. Ive never heard anyone locally that actually likes to eat them. I don't wanna waste what i kill so i don't hunt them.

this issue is why i have never purchased a bear permit. Ive never heard anyone locally that actually likes to eat them. I don't wanna waste what i kill so i don't hunt them.

At the risk of hijacking my own thread.....I would say you have missed out on

A)Some amazing hunting opportunity/memories and fun.
B)Marinated Bear Steaks smothered in mushrooms and unions.

Have you thought about braising a roast to make some BBQ pulled bear? I've done it both in the oven and in a crock pot with good results. Bear roasts also make good burgundy roasts.

Game burger is also good in “Hunter’s Pie” - our rendition of substituting ground game meat for ground lamb in a traditional shepherd’s pie recipe. Haven’t tried it with bear, but done it with venison that was otherwise not so great as hamburgers. Simple recipe - cook some bacon in cast iron skillet, remove bacon (leaving the grease in the skillet) and add ground game meat. Cook til browned a bit, then add fresh or frozen veggies (carrots, onions, peas, ...). Cook until veggies are soft. Make some mashed potatoes. Chop up bacon from step 1 and mix into the potatoes. Spread mashed potatoes on top of the meat and veggies and throw it in the oven for 20-30 mins. Add some grated cheese to the top and serve.

62BC3963-453F-4ADA-A566-E48742B1E660.jpeg

Game burger is also good in “Hunter’s Pie” - our rendition of substituting ground game meat for ground lamb in a traditional shepherd’s pie recipe. Haven’t tried it with bear, but done it with venison that was otherwise not so great as hamburgers. Simple recipe - cook some bacon in cast iron skillet, remove bacon (leaving the grease in the skillet) and add ground game meat. Cook til browned a bit, then add fresh or frozen veggies (carrots, onions, peas, ...). Cook until veggies are soft. Make some mashed potatoes. Chop up bacon from step 1 and mix into the potatoes. Spread mashed potatoes on top of the meat and veggies and throw it in the oven for 20-30 mins. Add some grated cheese to the top and serve.

View attachment 147585
Try deglazing your pan with worchesterchire sauce after sauteing. Lends a great flavor and gets some of those cooked-on bits from the bottom.

I had mine made into breakfast and sweet/hot Italian bulk sausage. Everyone has loved the Italian and the breakfast has made quite a few pans of biscuits and gravy (although you have to add a bit of bacon grease to have enough for the gravy).

I have made "shepperds pie" with bear burger and it turned out pretty good. You can make leftover bear meat into sausage and if I were to do that, I would make summer sausage with it or even snack sticks. I have had bear jerky before but never made it myself.

Not a big fan but makes ok taco meat, ok in chilli, breakfast or brat sauage but with lots of pork fat, i dont do summer ssuage or snack sticks since i like to cook bear meat hotter plus never been fan of taste that way. Now i will say if you have some steaks or even larger pieces i like to make them into steak fingers (basically chicken fried in peanut oil) with a ton of garlic and seasonings after beating them tender and thin.

I had mine made into breakfast and sweet/hot Italian bulk sausage. Everyone has loved the Italian and the breakfast has made quite a few pans of biscuits and gravy (although you have to add a bit of bacon grease to have enough for the gravy).

That is the kind of info I'm looking for.

I appreciate the replies and recipes given although most are for ground game (I have plenty of ground elk and deer). I am more or less intent on smoked products for this bear scrap meat. Something in the sausage link on a dog bun with some good mustard or ketchup is what I am thinking of and the sweet/hot Itialin sausage sounds like a perfect summer time grill option.

One thing we have to ask in order to give recommendations is what cuts do you have that you are considering 'scrap'?

Hey Cush, most all of it is left over shoulder, rib and leg meat that didn't get cut into steak or was no good for stew. I am more intent on a smoked product of which half will be pepperoni sticks (great field snack of which you can never have enough of) but the other half I just really wanted to see if anyone had done some kind of link for summer grilling (hot dog bun, mustard or ketchup). I have tons of ground elk and deer in the freezer for dishes that require ground.

+1. I find way more uses for hot Italian sausage than I do regular burger. Spaghetti, lasagna, meatball subs, homemade pizza, etc. You can also take packages of Italian sausage, add some extra spices to it (I usually just add some salt and lots of pepper), stuff it into casings and then smoke it low and slow into summer sausage / pepperoni.

if anyone had done some kind of link for summer grilling (hot dog bun, mustard or ketchup)
Since you’re already smoking/drying some for pepperoni sticks, I’d do the other half as hot or sweet Italian sausage in casings. If you don’t like the taste in a burger, then I doubt you’re going to improve it much just making a hot dog from it (although I’ve never tried it). You could then smoke it over a higher temp than you would if you were trying to dry it or just grill them. Sauté some peppers and onions and throw it all on a hoagie bun. I do that with venison quite a bit and it’s really good.

+1. I find way more uses for hot Italian sausage than I do regular burger. Spaghetti, lasagna, meatball subs, homemade pizza, etc. You can also take packages of Italian sausage, add some extra spices to it (I usually just add some salt and lots of pepper), stuff it into casings and then smoke it low and slow into summer sausage / pepperoni.
I used my patty press and made sausage burgers so to speak, Italian sausage style or breakfast style. For leftover bear, I would do it in spicy italian.

Brots, kielbasa, hot links?????

Ok, I am in a dilema on what to do with 40lbs of scrap "black" bear meat. I have done ground in the past but didn't care much for it as bear meat has to be cooked well done and I don't like well done meatloaf or burgers (hockey pucks). I considered breakfast sausage but it's not a staple of mine so I was wondering how many of you have made some form of dogs out of bear meat and thoughts? Yes part of it will be turned into pepperoni which is always a favorite of mine in the field but the other half is up in the air right now.
This is what I do with a lot of my bear meat. Breakfast sausage and brats I don't think you can beat bear meat in sausage.

Last edited:
Maybe try using a meat thermometer on those burgers. Kill the trich and pull them. I’ve made a ton of bear burgers and none have ended up like hockey pucks. It’s my favorite thing to do with bear meat.

To your post, our local butcher makes amazing hot dogs with our bear meat. If you’ve got a good guy locally, I’d drop some off and see how they do. If it’s good, then drop the rest off. If you want to take the guesswork out of it, drive to Green Bay and drop it off at Maplewood Meats and come back in a couple months later and pick it up - you won’t be disappointed.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back