Dogs are Hunting Partners - Let's see 'em

Here is Sayner who has been my best bud the past 5 years. Named her after a town in Northern Wisconsin where I do a lot of hunting, fishing, and camping. She goes everywhere with me and we have had a lot of adventures in Northern Wisconsin, the U.P., and Southwest Montana.

First time in the Rocky Mountains, she enjoyed the Taylor Fork
DSC01094.jpg

At a Northern Wisconsin lake
DSC02380.jpg

Grouse hunting this past winter
DSC00149.jpg

Love this thread, lots of great pics, Schmalts' old dog really struck a nerve. My lab turned 11 in January, this picture is day after her birthday, last duck hunt of the year. Hoping to get one more year out of her, maybe two if lucky. Around February she really started moaning and groaning whenever she laid down. Got her a Carprofen subscription and put her on joint supplements and the results have been good so far.

P1020219 red.jpg

We have traveled a lot of miles together over the years. I cannot tell you how much joy they given me. They are sooo much more than "dogs".

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    212.7 KB · Views: 360
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 362
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 320
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 327
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 329
We have traveled a lot of miles together over the years. I cannot tell you how much joy they given me. They are sooo much more than "dogs".
Totally dig that first picture. Very nicely done. Probably not too many folks from AL have shot those birds.

Addicting- I absolutely love that dog box. I had searched for a functional way to transport and house the hounds on long trips for a long time. Finally talked a good friend of mine into building me one. It turned out so good, that he started a business out of it. The first model he made me was a bit rougher than this, but it provided a ton of learning for him. The current version he is building is the cat's a**. They are all TIG welded by hand in his pole barn, with a lot of thought put into materials, latches, and overall functionality. He's always upgrading things here and there, and does a lot of custom sizes and applications. Mine sits supported on the bed rails and takes up about a quarter of the useable volume under the topper. Had him build a three hole, because we often have a friend's dog with on long trips. I really like that it leaves the so much useable space in the bed and keeps the dogs safe and secure. I think the dogs like it more than I do.

Cinco Lily.jpg

Alas, she only hunt bars and only on May 5 each year. Lily may have a problem now that I think about it. I got her when she was a year old and thought the person said Lily hunts "bears" as in Can You Skin Grizz, Pilgrim though was bars. Also, she was not a Springer Spaniel puppy. She was an adult Papillion which is spaniel but along the lines of me being in sheep shape. I am in shape though the shape is oval.

Am jealous you guys have such great looking dogs that do productive things. While I sit here nursing a longneck in this "bear" talking to cougars. Lily says arf arf woof see you in the woods.

This is silky. She will be six months old on the 23rd. I resisted getting a dog for quite a while, because after my last experience with a very hard headed Jack Russel Terrier mix I came to the conclusion that no dog deserved an owner like me. This time I committed to going all in for the dog, and I usually refer to her as my personal trainer now. She wakes me up at a quarter to six each morning and takes me for a two mile walk/jog. When I get home at five she is waiting for me, and we hit the woods and fields nearby. I bought a chuckit because my arm is shot, and it has turned out to be a god-send. I figure each throw is 50 to 60 yards one way, and if I do that 20 times in an evening she will run full tilt for a mile and a half. Last week I was working late to try to get caught up on grading papers, and by 5:30 she was getting very anxious. Next to my wife and boys, she is the best thing in my life. I can't wait for bird season.IMG_1385.jpg

Looks like Randy and I let our wives pick out the family dog. Here his Coco (short for coconut). When I was a kid until I got married I always had 2 beagles to rabbit hunt with. That was prior to cell phones so don't have any pics in digital form handy.

coco2.JPG

Last edited:
A PM got me thinking about this pic, it was a good time. We took my 5 YO daughter out for her first rabbit hunt. My GSP did a good job keeping the rabbits moving for my hunting partner to take two. I wont say how many we missed.

IMG_4466.jpg

It was definitely not like hunting with beagles but still effective. He would run in and out of the brush then sight chase them as they ran out of the thicket. I was in brush busting inside it too and that kept them moving everywhere. Those bunnies didn't know what to do. It was pretty funny as my GSP is way faster than what my beagles were and he could almost catch them. A good time to remember.

My PP would love to get somewhere with some room to chase rabbits. We have some in our neighborhood. He's contained in the yard by an invisible fence. Every once in a while he'll just take the zap and take off after a bunny. Lol. He likes to let me know where they are... ;)

I swear his staunchest points have been of rabbits just past the fence!

This is my old buddy Hunter, he passed on about six year ago now. He was then and still is the best hound ive ever hunted with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back