Dogs are Hunting Partners - Let's see 'em

Great looking dogs fellas!

This is Sarge,

He's at my side all day no matter what I'm doing. Farming, yardwork, on the trapline, wrenching on things, whatever, he has to be able to see me. The wife says if i leave him inside, he sits at the door and howls;) He always is trying to get me to play fetch, and loves stealing carrots from the garden, I just plant an extra row for him, he just goes and helps himself.

He was AKC titled at 8 months old, Trained him myself, my 1st dog. He and I hunted waterfowl 4-5 mornings a week in college and then worked at a pheasant preserve in the afternoons. He was making 200 retrieves some days. Blind retrieves at 100+ yards were just a given.

he's now 10 years old and has arthritis in his front paws which makes him limp pretty good, his lungs show up cloudy on x-rays, and he has an enlarged heart. His time is limited, so i enjoy everyday i can with him.

I still take him with on hunts but he certainly isn't what he used to be.

He's a great hunter, and a great house pet, although he thinks he's a lap dog.

1st pic, he's probably a year old.
2nd, 4ish years old.
3rd, Him sitting on the snow bank, this past winter on the trapline.
My first lab was a yellow- Best damn dog ever. Miss her still today and it's been 20 years since she past.

A lot of good looking pups in this thread!

I've always had a soft spot for dogs and my wife and I have always had one or more at any time in our lives.

That said there's only one that I've never gotten over loosing. Cooper was my Buddy and it's hard to put into words how much he meant to me. He's been gone for 3 years now and damn if I don't have a tear in my eye right now as I write this.

Not positive but I may have been the only guy in the state of montana that hunted deer and elk with a Saint Bernard...lol What I wouldn't give to be out hunting with him again. Funny how I never gave a darn if we got anything when we went out, just happy to be out in the woods with my friend.

Attachments

• 20160909_100642.jpg
    20160909_100642.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 16
  • 20160709_115521.jpg
    20160709_115521.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 16
  • 20160912_174419.jpg
    20160912_174419.jpg
    993.2 KB · Views: 16
A lot of good looking pups in this thread!

I've always had a soft spot for dogs and my wife and I have always had one or more at any time in our lives.

That said there's only one that I've never gotten over loosing. Cooper was my Buddy and it's hard to put into words how much he meant to me. He's been gone for 3 years now and damn if I don't have a tear in my eye right now as I write this.

Not positive but I may have been the only guy in the state of montana that hunted deer and elk with a Saint Bernard...lol What I wouldn't give to be out hunting with him again. Funny how I never gave a darn if we got anything when we went out, just happy to be out in the woods with my friend.
Such a cool dog story

I call these two the step sisters. They are a month apart in age. English Setter and GSP. GSP was a Covid puppy. Her original owner was taking her to the pound when the breeder intervened. She was a year old. I responded to a FB post and we’ve had her over two years. She went from a city dog to a rural hunting dog.

Attachments

• IMG_8334.jpeg
    IMG_8334.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0910.jpeg
    IMG_0910.jpeg
    537.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Back