Dog owners- what do you do during elk camp?

R.K.

Does the dog come out to camp with you? Keep them in the truck? Camper? Or do you leave them with a friend, at home with the family, at a boarding kennel, etc?

Take him with me, into the field. If I was archery hunting I would leave him in camp in a crate.

Generally stays home, but I have had him in camp a time or two. He stays in a crate in camp.

Depends on the hunt and the weather. Backcountry hunts or super cold weather she stays home and friends watch her.

She comes with on almost everything else though- she rides along and we have her bed and water in the back. She usually stays in the truck until pack out time. Otherwise she sees long guns and thinks we’re bird hunting.

If Gus comes on the hunt, he's with me the entire time. I wouldn't take him on an archery hunt (he loses his mind when the bow comes out), but he does great rifle hunting. I usually have him lay down 15 yards behind me when I take the shot so I don't ring his ears too bad.

On a MT hunt I had to make an exposed stalk so I dropped my pack and told him to stay with it, I made a 400 yard stalk and he stayed put on the pack.

Take your dog out for scouting a see how it reacts, if it barks at game don't take it, if it chases game don't take it, if it won't stay put don't take it, if your dog doesn't respond to commands don't take it, if you have to use an e-collar with your dog don't take it, if the only time your dog listens to you is if your screaming... well you get the point.

Also from a legal aspect I would avoid taking hounds/coursing dogs/ or catch dogs like pit bulls into the field. If a warden sees you with a lab during an elk hunt they are going to have a very different reaction than if you have a plott hound.

1590871638177.png

Our labs went along and stayed in camp, we just close the popup door and they were fine all day or while we were out. If not camping they stayed in the back of the truck that had a topper.
Have had the dog hunting conversation with our GW, he said he would look very hard at the situation and thinks that most dogs will give an indication of game that is near and hence would be aiding in the hunt, not legal.

Our labs went along and stayed in camp, we just close the popup door and they were fine all day or while we were out. If not camping they stayed in the back of the truck that had a topper.
The problem with your dogs left in camp, in your vehicle, tied up, kennelled or whatever is that unbeknownst to you they are barking and making a racket all day long. You are gone; you don't hear it; you don't even realize how it irritates others.
If they don't get to enjoy what the activity is ... please leave them home.

I've used most of the options. I've left them at home with my wife, boarded them and taken them along.

When I take them, they are kenneled in the horse trailer while we are hunting,, staked out when we are in camp.

They are not wired to just walk along on a hunt. They are wired to be hunting birds,,,period. If they are being told to heel,,, they'll do it but they aren't happy campers about it.

My preferred option is to leave them home,,,that is not my wife's preferred option. Boarding them get expensive quickly when you are boarding three or four dogs.

It actually is illegal to have a dog with you while big game hunting in a few states.

Oh yes I’m aware. I just don’t see a judge punishing someone for bringing a dog along. It’s one thing if the dog is chasing game or something along those lines. Maybe it happens, but I’d pay the $85 fine and consider it the equivalent of a speeding ticket.

Oh yes I’m aware. I just don’t see a judge punishing someone for bringing a dog along. It’s one thing if the dog is chasing game or something along those lines. Maybe it happens, but I’d pay the $85 fine and consider it the equivalent of a speeding ticket.

It's all going to depend on context. Just use good judgement.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back