Does it pay to fly for a hunt

How would you do a cow elk?
More coolers. I fly Southwest and each additional checked bag is $75.00. You can stuff a cow elk into two coolers. Flights were expensive this fall, but I used to get my roundtrip ticket for about $300-350.00 and then another $75-150.00 for meat. Coming from NY, there's no way I'm going to do better than that driving.

Fly is a big headache this days to much restriction, to many rule, and I like to drive, I do this every year always by myself, drove to Alpine Wyoming last fall 32 hours one way for mule and pronghorn, I do my own butchering, I debone everything, put in a ziplock bag, big cooler with 30lb dry ice all good for a week, I know for sure is my meat, and I know is clean,

Pronghorn and deer makes sense and have done it many times. Elk I don't think you could do it cheaper than driving.

Im working out the details now for next sept and was thinking about flying also.
I live in Pa the 28 hrs drive time one way is 2 to 2 1/2 days of driving. at 60yrs old it tough and I get their tried and feel like crap then to go in 4 miles takes its toll on me
I have flow in the past but its been a long time flying gives me more time in the mtns instead of in a truck more time hunting is worth the extra $ to me

It will ship just fine that way as checked baggage but a lot cheaper to send it home UPS.
I mean maybe if you turn a cow elk into 100% jerky and ship it ground... but like "maybe".

Shipping anything these days is crazy expensive compared to baggage fees.

This is 100lbs Denver to Boston rates on UPS.

Three checked bags, so gun + meat is going $230 on United and they have one of the worst baggage fee policies.

1673697720621.png

How would you do a cow elk?
I think the tipping point for me is around 15-17 hours. That's about my max for solo driving in a day. Once you add a hotel in there both ways any cost savings of driving over renting a car is a wash. Math changes splitting driving with buddies obviously.

I'd book a ticket on Southwest to Denver (or closest airport) they actually have flights to some of the regional airports that aren't bad. I'd try to book a red eye. Less an issue in the winter but important in the summer, the biggest issues for your meat is sitting on the hot tarmac during the day. Also just less people around to inconvenience will your giant cart of bags et al. + flights are often not full.

My new method for flying is a small gun case inside a ski bag, this let's you max out your weight limit. (Ammo needs to be in a box, this isn't ready to fly)

Most hunting packs fit in the overhead bin (correctly), optics and camera go in there. Flying out you should just have a mostly empty backpack and your one bag with your gun and gear.
1673698381784.png

Rent a car in Denver, most hunts a economy sedan is fine, obviously if it's winter check the tires at the rental agency. You can get trucks, I got a rental tacoma for my MN hunt 2 years ago.

Kill a cow, bone it out trim it really well don't waste your lb limit on scraps you will just chuck at home.

On your way home you need to figure out how to get your meat frozen. If it's rock hard you can just use totes if it's "kinda frozen" get cheap coolers. Just buy them at walmart. You can fly with 5.5lbs of dry ice in a checked back. (Don't stress no one checks the weight of the dry ice if you buy a 10lb block the night before split it between too bags it will sublimate enough that by your flight you will be legal).

Cooler or totes put the meat in double trash bags. If totes use your down layers or sleeping bag to insulate the tote.
1673699264035.png1673699293298.png

Alternatively, you can put all you gear in your gun case, bring a small carry-on sized roller bag for the overhead bin, double trash bag your meat and put it in the overhead bin. Only delta? has a carryon weight limit for domestic flights.

1673699357565.png1673699383898.png

All that said Chicago and West just drive.

Last edited:
I fly quite a bit, both domestic and abroad, and have certainly seen carry-on's checked for both weight and size. The gate crews are very inconsistent with checking. Sometimes they do, other times they do not. If the gate crew does bother to check some of you fellows may not be so happy. Oversize or overweight carry-on's have to be checked as regular baggage.

Most other passengers really dislike the few folks that bring too much and stuff the overhead bins so that others do not have room for their carry-on's. I have seen people bring duffle bags, big backpacks, etc. and take up the space that should be available for several other passengers. One of the reasons we fly either first or business class is that we can board before most others and not have a problem with our carry-on storage.

Bringing meat in checked luggage is an option, but the original question is about SHIPPED meat.

Don't forget the AirTag for your gun case! If you're interested in how to pack for the trip, I have a few things to add (actually more than a few) but that might be for another thread? I have flown to Africa to hunt three times. Renting a vehicle could be a challenge. Probably the biggest challenge unless you have friends out there who can supply wheels.

Meat processed into jerky and smoked sausage loses a lot of moisture. That's one reason why it keeps with minimal refrigeration. Lost moisture = less shipping weight. If UPS is too expensive, check into regular freight companies. Shouldn't be overly hot shipping environments during fall/winter hunting season. In a cooler the processed meat should keep during transit, even over several days. You might be able to arrange for pickup at a major depot rather than waiting for it to come to your door. That should cut down shipping costs. Lots to think about. I'd be interested to know what you decide. I travel with my bird dogs so I'm stuck driving to Montana. Most airlines won't ship dogs in checked baggage if the temperature dips to freezing.

I flew STL-DEN and back for hunts in both 2019 and 2021. Did not kill an elk in 19, but killed a nice bull in 21. I flew Southwest, so I flew out with a big duffel and a rifle case as checked bags and my pack as a carry-on. Also shipped some gear beforehand. Coming home with meat I bought 2 70 qt coolers and paid oversize/overweight fees. Because of CWD regs I left the antlers in CO and had a euro done, and had a buddy bring them with when he was traveling through. Rental cars are probably the biggest issue, but I used Turo and you can pick up and drop at the Denver Airport which works pretty slick.

There are some advantages to driving, for sure, but with a some problem solving skills flying works just fine. I'll do either in the future, depending on my situation at the time.

I fly quite a bit, both domestic and abroad, and have certainly seen carry-on's checked for both weight and size. The gate crews are very inconsistent with checking. Sometimes they do, other times they do not. If the gate crew does bother to check some of you fellows may not be so happy. Oversize or overweight carry-on's have to be checked as regular baggage.

Most other passengers really dislike the few folks that bring too much and stuff the overhead bins so that others do not have room for their carry-on's. I have seen people bring duffle bags, big backpacks, etc. and take up the space that should be available for several other passengers. One of the reasons we fly either first or business class is that we can board before most others and not have a problem with our carry-on storage.

Bringing meat in checked luggage is an option, but the original question is about SHIPPED meat.
Yep!!! It's always the gals trying to drag on a ton of carry-on that cause problems. Besides their usual three oversize luggage, they also have bags of tourist guano crap they just bought in the airport.

Best to minimalize carry-on because you can expect the ladies won't. I carry on a good sized Browning daypack and computer bag. That's it. Contains enough stuff to get me by if checked baggage gets lost. Travel in hunting clothes and an extra change in the daypack. It goes in overhead and computer bag slides under the seat if no room overhead. Usually I can squeeze it in somewhere. I travel economy class because I enjoy the challenge. Misadventures are the adventures that are always remembered. No fun if there's nothing to gripe about later.

I’ve flown for a couple but only when I’ve had the ground crew (other hunting buds) on the back end! Have found that logistically it was much easier to have my truck with and not limit my gear as much. Plus, after nearly 30 years at my work getting the extra days off to support “the drive” typically wasn’t a problem,

No offense you’re doing it wrong.

I boned out my caribou, put the antlers in a box and checked them it was like $150.

A pronghorn could be put in carryon it’s like 35lb of meat. You can get that home for 0 extra dollars.
Yeah, after flying with an elk, getting a pronghorn home would be really easy!

One last thing, have some cash with you! On the way home I had 2 95 lb coolers, a 45ish lb duffel, a rifle case, and my carry-on. I had a couple shuttle drivers from and to long term parking that really pitched in and helped. I made it worth their while......

This is not accurate.

I’ve flown with meat a bunch in the last couple of years.

Caribou AK to BOS
Elk DEN to BOS
Mule Deer Den to BOS
Bear AK to DEN
Grouse MN to DEN
Caribou AK to DEN
Turkey OKC to DEN
Mule Deer DEN to PDX

Delta and Lufthansa check. Alaska, SW, Air Canada, and United do not.

Also if your bag with meat gets gate checked that’s like best possible scenario extra free bag.

All my long distance hunts over the years, I drove. Considered that part of the hunt. Twice passed through Banff and Jasper on the way and is something every outdoor lover should do at least once in their lifetime.

Fishing trip to Alaska this summer, I flew, and can see the convenience. Flew home with 80lbs of frozen fish and it was a piece of cake. Also nice to have a retired Alaska Air stewardess in our party and saved a lot on air fare flying on a buddy pass.

Thanks all for the responses. Right now I am leaning towards flying reason being is time is going to be limited. I have 5 days total to get out and back. Thinking of leaving Thursday red eye direct flight to Denver, hunt mid morning and evening. Then fly back Tuesday night. If I drive coming from Michigan it is going to be minimum of 20 hours solo.

My bigger concern is now how to get meat back. Early this year I broke down and deboned a deer from 10pm-2:30am in a hotel prior to our departure home the following day in a hotel. My guess with the elk I could do the same, but getting it frozen is going to be the trick.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back