Caribou Gear Tarp

Does it pay to fly for a hunt

Thanks all for the responses. Right now I am leaning towards flying reason being is time is going to be limited. I have 5 days total to get out and back. Thinking of leaving Thursday red eye direct flight to Denver, hunt mid morning and evening. Then fly back Tuesday night. If I drive coming from Michigan it is going to be minimum of 20 hours solo.

My bigger concern is now how to get meat back. Early this year I broke down and deboned a deer from 10pm-2:30am in a hotel prior to our departure home the following day in a hotel. My guess with the elk I could do the same, but getting it frozen is going to be the trick.
Just put it on ice and get flying. I properly butcher and freeze the meat once I am home.

Thanks all for the responses. Right now I am leaning towards flying reason being is time is going to be limited. I have 5 days total to get out and back. Thinking of leaving Thursday red eye direct flight to Denver, hunt mid morning and evening. Then fly back Tuesday night. If I drive coming from Michigan it is going to be minimum of 20 hours solo.

My bigger concern is now how to get meat back. Early this year I broke down and deboned a deer from 10pm-2:30am in a hotel prior to our departure home the following day in a hotel. My guess with the elk I could do the same, but getting it frozen is going to be the trick.
You don't have to freeze it. Get interior meat temps into the 30s, get it into a cooler and tape the lid shut, and it will stay good for quite some time, especially if the cooler is chilled a bit to start with.

Last edited:
This is not accurate.
It is indeed "accurate". You state that you have done it differently on some airlines, and I respect your observations and experience. However, my experiences are different and what I posted is first hand. I do not fly Southwest, and have not flown Air Alaska, but I have flown many other airlines.

So far in this thread you have posted that I am "doing it wrong" and that my statements are not "accurate". Frankly, that is offensive.

Anyone use Yeti hopper bags for this or are they not really worth the price? I could see putting a deboned antelope in one and using it as a carry on and would think it would work really well.

It is indeed "accurate". You state that you have done it differently on some airlines, and I respect your observations and experience. However, my experiences are different and what I posted is first hand. I do not fly Southwest, and have not flown Air Alaska, but I have flown many other airlines.

So far in this thread you have posted that I am "doing it wrong" and that my statements are not "accurate". Frankly, that is offensive.
I aim to please, feel free to glower at me from your perch in first class while I sit back amongst the plebes with my elk meat 😘

Anyone use Yeti hopper bags for this or are they not really worth the price? I could see putting a deboned antelope in one and using it as a carry on and would think it would work really well.
I used mine for carry-on after a Oklahoma turkey hunt, worked great.

I always fly, really it wasn't a great option to drive to any hunts I've done in the west. 3-4 days one way? That's a week of hunting, plus gas, food, etc. If it was a 2 day drive I'd consider it.

The trickiest part is finding meat storage (freezer is best) or a place to process. That is near the top of the list in logistics. Cheap coolers or insulated fish boxes have worked for me in the past, but I almost always have freezer space lined up. I have also boxed up frozen meat in a trash bag and just put it in cardboard and dropped it on the baggage carousel, many times. If frozen solid, that much mass of meat will barely thaw in 8-10hrs of traveling. Flying/checked baggage is always cheaper than shipping from AK, only exception is maybe air cargo, but it has some issues as well. USPS used to be the cheapest, but if I shipped 50lbs priority, it would run me $80-100, baggage is still $50. Airlines have different policies, so shop around if ticket prices are similar. @wllm I like the ski bag/rifle case idea. I have a takedown shotgun case that fits in the bottom of one of my travel duffles. they wouldn't let me fly with it like that one trip (with United, I think it was). The rifle case had to be separate from the luggage so they could keep track of it. I don't combine anything anymore.

The way rental cars have been recently I would consider driving over flying if relatively close, however it seems prices have come down a lot. I've had good luck with Turo vs regular rental agency, but there is a risk there as well.

I always fly, really it wasn't a great option to drive to any hunts I've done in the west. 3-4 days one way? That's a week of hunting, plus gas, food, etc. If it was a 2 day drive I'd consider it.

The trickiest part is finding meat storage (freezer is best) or a place to process. That is near the top of the list in logistics. Cheap coolers or insulated fish boxes have worked for me in the past, but I almost always have freezer space lined up. I have also boxed up frozen meat in a trash bag and just put it in cardboard and dropped it on the baggage carousel, many times. If frozen solid, that much mass of meat will barely thaw in 8-10hrs of traveling. Flying/checked baggage is always cheaper than shipping from AK, only exception is maybe air cargo, but it has some issues as well. USPS used to be the cheapest, but if I shipped 50lbs priority, it would run me $80-100, baggage is still $50. Airlines have different policies, so shop around if ticket prices are similar. @wllm I like the ski bag/rifle case idea. I have a takedown shotgun case that fits in the bottom of one of my travel duffles. they wouldn't let me fly with it like that one trip (with United, I think it was). The rifle case had to be separate from the luggage so they could keep track of it. I don't combine anything anymore.
That’s interesting. Was it coming in and out of Anchorage? They are supposed to ID you to give back your checked gun but the only airport that’s ever done that to me was ANC.
DEN/BOS/Bozeman and Kalispell all just put it on the oversized luggage rack. ( regular gun case)

I might be inclined to argue with the desk person since no one? checks a handgun in a small case separately those are always in a larger duffle/bag 🤷‍♂️

Probably depends on the agent to some extent.

Back