Do You Sight In At 100, 200 or MPBR?

What Range Do You Sight In At?

• 100 yards/meters

• 200 Yards/meters

• Maximum Point Blank Range

• Other/What's MPBR?/Why Sight In

Results are only viewable after voting.

RaiderRich

So been seeing a lot of discussion on this and figured I'd get a feel for what people do. I am assuming typical centerfire western hunting caliber/chambered rifles. I have been doing 200 but seeing a lot of good arguments to go 100.

Thoughts, comments, anyone want a mint?

I voted for MPBR. That being said since I switched to the Leupold CDS system I find the load I want and order the turrets. Depending on round it will either be a 100yd 0 or a 200ys 0. I have several of these scopes on different rifles and they have been spot on. Before this I would figure out my MPBR and sight in my rifle for that and of course shoot to verify. I had a couple rifles that I would hand load different rounds for that I would keep the MPBR for on my rifle so I wouldn't forget in the heat of the moment.

I’ve got a Nikon scope with the BDC reticle on my primary 30-06. It’s drops line up well on the yardage I shoot copper out to. Otherwise, I’d probably zero for MPBR with a standard crosshair reticle for the distance that caliber shoots well.

The logical decision is MPBR for hunting I’d you aren’t a turret human. It gives you the furthest option for a dead hold. I recently bought my first Leupold the the CDS turret. I’m working up a load now, and then will get a custom turret.

When using turrets it makes the most sense to site T an “exact” distance. Then you have a precise starting point.

I’ve got a Nikon scope with the BDC reticle on my primary 30-06. It’s drops line up well on the yardage I shoot copper out to. Otherwise, I’d probably zero for MPBR with a standard crosshair reticle for the distance that caliber shoots well.

Don’t many BDC’s recommend different site in points at 100? The vortex on my 6.5 cm recommends 1.5” at 100.

Don’t many BDC’s recommend different site in points at 100? The vortex on my 6.5 cm recommends 1.5” at 100.
I bought mine used years back and winged it on figuring the thing out. Nikon has their handy dandy little app and I’ve found that I can shoot inside of a 4” box out to 400 yards with my relatively low-budget gun following their suggestions. Probably wouldn’t hurt to dig up the scope’s manual, but I’m hesitant to start over with it already shooting well and the cost of factory copper ammo that I hunt with.

I am going to help a friend sight in a new rifle with a Vortex BDC scope next week, and plan to read the instructions for that one.

F0BA3AF0-EE3E-4CE7-AD9D-E3447E0D9367.jpeg

Did 100 yards when I hunted the swamps of NC. Out here I see where my groups print at 200 and go from there.

Going back to the beginning, I have used the MPBR or something essentially the same. I sight in at 100 yards and adjust the elevation and windage as needed to have the point of impact to be 3 inches high, 12 o'clock to the bulls eye.

When I have shot at a measured 300 yards, it is very close to being dead on.

The only rifle I have hunted with is a .270Win in a Remington 700 BDL. For the majority of the hunting it has been 130 grain bullets (Nosler or Hornady) loaded as hot as I care to push it.

I prefer to not be attached at the hip to range finders and scopes that have turrets for dialing the range. I have killed a few deer where I held at the top of their back, but overwhelmingly I have put the crosshair where I want to hit and squeezed off the shot.

Then again, I'm old and set in my ways.

I haven’t heard of any good reasons for a 100 zero for western hunting. Care to elaborate?
-Less environmental and shooter error factors affecting a rock solid zero.
-Almost always easier to find a place to check zero at 100 than beyond.
-At "there he is! Shoot him!" distance you aren't 2 or 3 inches high.

Now, admittedly maybe some of these are small issues, but almost everyone who is dialing to shoot at distances 200 yds and beyond that I know is emphatic about zeroing at 100.

I bought mine used years back and winged it on figuring the thing out. Nikon has their handy dandy little app and I’ve found that I can shoot inside of a 4” box out to 400 yards with my relatively low-budget gun following their suggestions. Probably wouldn’t hurt to dig up the scope’s manual, but I’m hesitant to start over with it already shooting well and the cost of factory copper ammo that I hunt with.

I am going to help a friend sight in a new rifle with a Vortex BDC scope next week, and plan to read the instructions for that one.

View attachment 235931
Maybe it's the answer for some people, but not me. I had one for a couple seasons, but it didn't take very many shots(at targets, not game) having to hold in dead space with no stadia lines because of a wind call to sour me on BDC reticles. I started wanting a reliable turret pretty quick.

100 yds for me mainly because I mostly hunt blacktails here on the Oregon Coast. Most of my shots have been at less than 100yds. For most "Western hunting" though, I can see why many would prefer 200+.

Back