Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Do You Sight In At 100, 200 or MPBR?

What Range Do You Sight In At?

• 100 yards/meters

• 200 Yards/meters

• Maximum Point Blank Range

• Other/What's MPBR?/Why Sight In

Results are only viewable after voting.
I zero at 200yds. A little farther is fine, but 200 is convenient for me. MPBR is probably fine too, but I don’t like being very high at my trajectory’s peak. Maybe that’s just a personal quirk, but that’s why I don’t use MPBR.

Just taught some classes with Rem 700 AAC-SD rifles so this is all very fresh.

MPBR
168 gr Hornady TAP 308, 20" barrel
1.25" high @ 50
3" high @ 100
Zero @ 225
3" low @ 255
7.5" low @ 300

No reason in my mind to not use some sort or MPBR or at least a 200 yard zero. 100 is a waste unless you plan on shooting very small targets at very close range

Still doesn’t seem like a good reason for me. Any cartridge favored by western hunters needs no dialing by anyone from 0-200yds. If I had a scope with a CDS dial I would still zero at 200yds and I would set my zero-stop there.
I'm fine with 100 and making sure it's on at dial & distance...I'm not worried about 0-200 out west my friend.

I'm fine with 100 and making sure it's on at dial & distance...I'm not worried about 0-200 out west my friend.
If you’re not worried about 0-200, why zero at 100yds?

Do I think it’s gonna be a big problem to zero at 100yds? No. But I don’t think there is any benefit to it, and if I had a CDS and was dialing, I would set the zero stop and 200yds, and have no marks below 200yds, and no marks between 200 and 300 or between 300 and 400. That’s just how I would do it.(it is how I have scope that isn’t a CDS set up) I don’t think that’s the only way to do it, but I don’t there is any reason to do any more than that out to 400yds(0[@200yds], and 300 and 400 being the only two marks inside of 400).

Did you read the works for me part?
I only read the part that I quoted(which is everything I see in that post), and after reading more carefully, I’m not even quite sure that I understand what you mean exactly.

I knew a lot of hunters growing up in western Montana and most of them, me included, would zero at 100 or maybe 1 inch high at 100.

Still have friends that sight in that way, seems to just keep working for them. They don't miss much.

I zeroed my nephew's rifles at 200 and they have no trouble....they don't miss much either.

I bought mine used years back and winged it on figuring the thing out. Nikon has their handy dandy little app and I’ve found that I can shoot inside of a 4” box out to 400 yards with my relatively low-budget gun following their suggestions. Probably wouldn’t hurt to dig up the scope’s manual, but I’m hesitant to start over with it already shooting well and the cost of factory copper ammo that I hunt with.

I am going to help a friend sight in a new rifle with a Vortex BDC scope next week, and plan to read the instructions for that one.

View attachment 235931

I can’t remember off the top of my head, but there are a few decisions to make based on caliber. They are in the instruction booklet.

100 yard zero…holdovers using mil based reticle past that. Happy with this setup out to 400, which is my self imposed limit for shooting game.

All my rifles are sighted in at 200 to insure there is no CRS from rifle to rifle. Range, dial and shoot. I do assume PBR for 250 and in. No muss or fuss, aim shoot.

I’m a MPBR guy. However, I use my rifle from everything from coyotes to moose so I use the +/- 3in MPBR.

Are you western guys doing more than 3in?

It really depends on the scope & cartridge you have.

None of my scopes are the regular duplex reticle.

The Redfield Revenge scope i had on my 7mm-08AI recommended a 200 yard zero.
When doing that a 140gr bullet aligned with the BDC reticle out to 600 yards almost perfectly.
Ditto the Vortex Crossfire II with BDC.

Most of my scopes now have MOA reticles. With these i sight in at 100 yards. Easy math for hold overs after that.

CDS doesn't work for me. Or at least i don't want it.
I shoot many different cartridges with many different bullet weights per cartridge.
I don't need/want the added expense & trying to remember which custom turret goes with which bullet for which cartridge.
Add to that, with the shortages lately, i've been forced to go with different powders, which would render a CDS turret almost worthless if the velocities were different.

I have an adjustable turret on a 308- meaning I can turn the dial without adjusting the elevation. So I can make any elevation read “0” on the elevation dial.

I sight in at 200 yards, set this elevation to a true zero, but then I’ll bump my elevation a few clicks for mpbr. Longer shots are easier to adjust to a dope chart, but then there’s no thinking about it out to ~265 yards. And I can always check if the rifle is zeroed to 200, mpbr, or if it’s just way the hell off from some range stupidity.

Last edited:
I have an adjustable turret on a 308- meaning I can turn the dial without adjusting the elevation. So I can make any elevation read “0” on the elevation dial.

I sight in at 200 yards, set this elevation to a true zero, but then I’ll bump my elevation a few clicks for mpbr. Longer shots are easier to adjust to a dope chart, but then there’s no thinking about it out to ~265 yards. And I can always check if the rifle is zeroed to 200, mpbr, or if it’s just way the hell off from some range stupidity.
You mean setable to zero.

Mine now all do that, either by lifting up on the turret, or set screws on the side of the turret.

But none have a zero stop.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back