Do you eat what you shoot?

We don't buy a lot of meat, and eat a ton of ducks every year. The only secret about making most game meat good, including waterfowl is not to overcook it. Med Rare seems to work best for me. Other than that, once I get good and tired of duck/goose, we corn it (like corned beef) and then either smoke it for pastrami, or just boil it after it's cured, and serve it on sammiches. You would never know in a Reuben.I've never had bear that was bad except someone gave me a ham that was 3 years old from a freezer...the fat was rancid, and I ended up not eating it. I'm not one to eat liver or other organs, my rule is, when you cut a critter open, and stuff falls out. You're not supposed to eat that stuff.

Also like ling.

Nemont

LING!?!? Poor mans lobster eh? Man talk about one ugly looking fish that burbot. You catch those on Fort Peck? We used to catch them ice fishing on Lake Sakakawea but never kept one. We would always put them back into the hole tail first and watch them bend their tail up all the way back by their head, do a 180 and then swim back down the hole like normal. I swear that fish must have been a snake or reptile a million years ago and is still evolving into a fish...

I eat everything.
Mountain lion was a nice change up from red meat.
Bear is edible and good on occasion, but can`t say I`m too bummed when I run out.
Deer and Antelope are worth their weight in gold for me. Way better than elk to my taste buds.

I gave up duck and goose hunting becasue I never found a way to enjoy eating the meat. I eat deer about 3 times a week for dinner plus lots of jerky. We are going to try making summer sausage next.

Don't give up waterfowl just because you can't eat em!!! I don't care for the meat just when it's by itself but it's killer in a gumbo or stew... My godfather has a great recipe... I'll have to see if I can dig it up for ya..

I eat everything.
Mountain lion was a nice change up from red meat.
Bear is edible and good on occasion, but can`t say I`m too bummed when I run out.
Deer and Antelope are worth their weight in gold for me. Way better than elk to my taste buds.

What closest resembles mtn lion in flavor? That would be interesting.

As for the OP - Yes, Do I eat what I shoot? Hell, I shoot to eat. ;) Maybe when my skills build (years and years from now...) I may actually have the luxury to actually hunt for the trophy and meat will be secondary...

However, my goal in hunting is enjoying good times with friends and filling the freezer. I recall one occasion, I spotted a nice 6x (nice to me) and a few cows bedded down. I had a special B tag for cow elk and my general elk tag... I snuck back to camp to give my buddy a heads up. Got back just in time. heh, a fun countdown and pow, pow! - I took the cow.

What closest resembles mtn lion in flavor? That would be interesting.

Same texture and color as pork without the fat and flavor. Its kind of bland, so I`ve been seasoning it liberally and breading it.

Eat what we shoot as we always did growing up. Heart, liver, whatever as long as you could get it out without spoilage. As much as I would like to have shot a BIG buck or speedgoat that had been running we were always taught not to unless it was last resort. The only thing I cannot stand to this day is mutton or lamb because that is what we grew up on. Beef was always a luxury. Fried SPAM and eggs is another story. For some reason my brother and I can't get enough and only eat it when our wives are out of town. Doesn't matter whether fried or SPAM salad sandwiches.

I have always tried to eat what I kill, obvious exception being coyote and skunk, and opossum. I have eaten coon, groundhog. groundhog is actually very good. The only other thing I could not eat was that ram I hauled all the way home from Texas. I tried everything, there was just no way to eat it. I took the rest down to the creek and the coyotes never touched it either, now thats sayin something.

Hey Cali, yea you are right the trip was well worth it. One of the most eclectic bunches of guys I have ever hunted with. I don't think there was ever a dull moment. From the moment we started arriving at the motel, till I had to pull out, I don't think I ever stopped smiling. Oh yea you insurance on that rental car didn't you:D I am sure it was worth it if you did.

I know I will never take another one home again those things are rotten.

What I cannot eat fast enough to avoid freezer burn I donate to a local church that runs a women's shelter.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerezA
Back