Do you eat what you shoot?

pointingdogsrule

This maybe a "stupid" question, however, growing up in the east and midwest, what I shoot... I eat (with exception...raccoons, skunks, opossum) such as deer, turkey, rabbit, & squirrel.

Question: sometimes on the hunting shows I see hunters packing out only the cape and head such as bears and sheep. Maybe the films are edited, however, is it typical to eat bear, sheep or goats.

What critters do you eat and what (if anything) is left behind. I would like to think that "all the meat is edible".

Since I am applying for some of these tags I would want to know what is "edible" & in some states I believe there are rules about leaving meat behind.

Thanks
good luck to all
the dog

Last edited:
In Montana all four quarters, the backstraps, and loin have to come out with you (except for mountain lion). I had a buddy who got a goat a few years ago. He turned most of it into pepperoni and bologna. He said that was pretty tasty, but the steaks weren't very good. I've heard people claim bear is good, but I call BS. Those same guys shoot a few deer and/or an elk each year and I guarantee you that bear sits in the bottom of the freezer for several years. I've only had it once and I didn't care for it.

In Idaho you can only leave behind bear and mountain lion. I'm not sure why you would because they are tasty. As far as eating what I shoot it ends with game, I don't eat ground squirrel few rabbits and none of the pesky trash birds I rid the world of.

mndunc8 bear sausage is delicious, I have had smoked bear roast that is very good as well. If it's not processed it seems like it needs to cook slow and someplace the fat can run off of it.

The only thing I could not eat was a black bear fresh out of hibernation, I just had no way of cooking it to make it palatable. I have had fall bear that was fattened up and it was fine. Mtn lion roast is some of the best meat I have had.

I only hunt for what I will eat.Never had spring bear meat but meat from a fall bear is very good

I butcher and eat pretty much everything I shoot.

My personal preferences are as follows:

Elk - by far the best of all the wild game to me.

Mule deer - I grew up on mule deer so maybe my taste buds are messed up, but I prefer mule deer to whitetail.

Whitetail deer - maybe I would rate whitetails in front of mule deer if I was shooting Midwest corn fed deer instead of west Texas mesquite and cactus fed deer.

Pronghorn - this seems to vary the most in flavor and toughness to me. Growing up I ate some pretty bad tasting antelope, but thinking back we probably ran them for miles before we shot them. Since then I've eaten some that I watched for hours laying down before shooting them and they tasted pretty good.

Feral hogs - I would probably rank them higher if I didn't eat so much of it. Some folks say the big ones aren't worth eating, but I think they taste fine. I've cooked them about every way I can think of, right now I tend to smoke the quarters whole and cure some into ham unless I'm out of breakfast sausage. A nice big boar makes pretty good jalepeno sausage.

Black bear - we always just made them into pepperoni or sausage. Part of the problem with pork and bear is that you are supposed to cook them well done to eliminate the risk of trichinosis. If you could cook it medium rare where it wasn't all dried out or if you could make jerky out of it that would be so much better.

Wild turkey - the breast meat is really good, I still haven't figured out a way to make the drumsticks and thighs edible though.

Quail and dove - I breast them out and fillet the meat of the breast bone when I clean them. Then I make kabobs with them. Jalepenos for me, some type of vegetables for the wife. A half slice of bacon wrapped around them keeps them from drying out.

I also shoot and have trapped coyotes, raccoons, skunks, possums, porcupines, and a bobcat, but never eaten any of them. I've heard bobcat was good, but I took it to the taxidermist to get a full body mount done and didn't go back to eat the meat the next day.

I've eaten moose one time and it was good, but I haven't eaten enough to really rank it on my scale.

I've heard sheep is pretty good, and that goat is okay, but not anything to wrote home about.

Be sure to read the rules for each state because they are all a little different. I know Arizona requires you to take the rib meat, and Texas has a wierd rule that you can't debone the quarters until you have them to the place you are going to actually butcher it.

The only meat we buy is fish, chicken and ribeye steaks.

I gave up duck and goose hunting becasue I never found a way to enjoy eating the meat. I eat deer about 3 times a week for dinner plus lots of jerky. We are going to try making summer sausage next.

We used to smoke our geese which was pretty good. I've also had goose jerky which is pretty tasty. With regards to bear I agree it's up to the cook, I've had it many times. Bear sausage is also a good option to give it some flavor. I think Mountain Lions are the only thing you shouldn't at least make an effort in bringing out. Give it to someone else that will take it, but don't waste it. Lot's of needy families that aren't so picky.

I've killed and eaten moose, black bear, mountain goat, mountain lion, elk, mule deer, whitetails, antelope, and various other critters. The only meat out of all of that that I couldn't stand the taste of was a rutted up mule deer buck. The bighorn ram my wife shot was my next least favorite, followed by my mountain goat. They were both palatable though and made fine summer sausage.

I think most people that don't like a certain kind of meat have preconceived ideas that its going to taste bad before they try it. I used to think antelope wasn't very good. That was until I had some. Now its my favorite meat, even ahead of elk and deer.

Bears??? I've killed three spring bears and one fall bear. They all tasted fine. I had a butcher smoke the hams from two of the bears and made roasts, burger, and summer sausage from the rest of them. I really enjoyed them.

Our whole family really enjoyed my mountain lion this winter. Everyone who ate it agreed that if I had told them it was pork they probably couldn't have told the difference.

I'm with you mdunc, I cant' stand bear. I've eaten it several times and it is not good in my opinion. I don't even know anyone I could give the meat to, nobody I know enjoys the taste. That's why I purchase a sportsman's without bear every year. Sheep and goat do not satisfy my taste buds either but I do know people who will eat it.

Moose is my favorite meat, better than beef IMHO, after that elk and WT deer are damn good as well.

We save a few antelope tendies for elk camp each year. I will have to say that is darn near my favorite game meat, but it could be due to the ombiance and company of best friends in elk camp that make it taste so dam good? Elk is next best. Bear is best as sausage or pepporoni sticks my opinion, but will agree with the majority - it is not good. Our mule deer and antelope become burger, italian sausage and german brats. Made at home with love and are pretty darn sweet.

A split or even whole feral hog cooked on the smoker is darned tasty. I prefer the 90-130 lb range. Have had the pit/buried coal method couple times....even better. The circa 250-300 lb. boars on a hot day usually end up as coyote bait.

Deer is shared with family, friends, or people who need it. Elk is a flatlander's delicacy...plenty of volunteers to take it off my hands.

Wyoming556, I agree that it is tough to make ducks and geese taste good but I've finally got a few recipes that are really good. In all the recipes, you basically cut them into small chunks, marinate the meat, and then either put it in a soup, stir fry, or some sort of sauce. For my new favorite recipe though, all you do is boil duck or goose breasts in apple juice, cool the meat and shred it, then pour barbecue sauce on it and serve on buns. It tastes just like a beef barbecue sandwich and actually tastes good, which is rare for a goose. If anyone is looking for a few good duck recipes, pm me and ill send you some.

I have taken & eaten:moose,elk,whitetail & mule deer, turkey, rabbit,squirrel, grouse, antelope. By far, the best is moose!

I’ve eaten deer, moose, bear, antelope, elk and oryx.

I rank them: deer, oryx, moose, elk and a tie between antelope and bear….If I never eat another I will be just fine

Wild turkey - the breast meat is really good, I still haven't figured out a way to make the drumsticks and thighs edible though.
I take the thighs and drumsticks, fillet the meat off the bone and run it through the grinder for turkey burger. I get around a pound or so out of one bird. Legs are kinda aggrivating because of the pin tendon or bone alone the legs.

I gave up duck and goose hunting becasue I never found a way to enjoy eating the meat.
Once again, run the goose breast fillets through the grinder for burger...only way I like it. My wife loves making "Gooseburger Steaks" with sauted onions! As for ducks, fillet the breast meat and put jalapenos between the two sides, wrap in bacon and slap it on the grill!

As for the thread....I like in the east, so I have no imput on western game meat!

I make pounds of goose jerky. Ducks plucked, aged and then filet the breasts off leaving the skin on. That is good eats. The legs and thighs go into the crock pot overnight and then the meat is pulled off for pulled duck/goose sandwiches.

We eat a couple of deer, a couple of antelope, usually end up with lots of pheasants, huns and sharptails too. Also get some elk every year from somebody.

Also get a mess of Walleyes, northerns and perch. Also like ling.

Nemont

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back