Do we have enough hunting influencers yet?

It is what it is, but I hate the sexualization of the sport of hunting social media has perpetuated.
emailmartintrad-jpg.30396

1679441220923.png

Last edited:
Kind of funny to watch Matt try to undo the damage his brother Steve has done. Unfortunately the genie ain’t going back in the bottle. I applaud his effort though. It is what it is at this point I hope game agency’s put wildlife over demand.

I honestly don't think I could name more than a couple hunting influencers. Only ones that I know of are from hearing mention on this site. I love to hunt but I really don't enjoy watching anybody else do it. In high school and younger days I did watch some shows on the outdoor channel (is that still a thing?) Other than that I don't get the hype.

I hope and wish bookface,Instagram and all the others ban hunting content. Those platforms have and will continue to do more damage then good.
True, and a lot of social media generally, does more harm than good, like creating self esteem and attention deficit issues with kids. Plus now a lot of younger folks want to be influencers instead of getting a "real job". A skill like making a duck face, if it's a skill, won't help anyone learn how to be a pilot or an architect.

Some concepts gleaned from Matt R’s podcasts, plus some correspondence with him:

ROI of gear companies giving free gear to social media micro-influencers is rapidly surpassing the ROI of other advertising methods in the outdoor industry. Nearly all influencers start by aiming to amass followers to get gear. Some are content to grow gear inflow, whereas others want to grow beyond gear to sponsorships, which is a steep hurdle.

Any influencer exchanging photos and videos of dead animals for gear is a modern day market hunter. The market hunting machine of 100+ years ago destroyed hunting opportunity for nearly everyone. The modern day market hunting machine of gear companies, social media influencers, hunting nonprofits, and, in some cases, state F&G depts is rapidly hastening the demise of hunting opportunity for today’s hunters.

The maw of crony capitalism eventually swallows the democratization of hunting in the US. The big players ride the money wave of hunting promotion, but every year it pivots more sharply to a wealthier demographic of guided hunters and leases.

Many of Matt R’s early podcast episodes are rather absurd and over the top. Many of the later episodes have more top notch guests and some very insightful voices. I highly encourage anyone to listen to 10+ of his podcast episodes in the #10-#30 range. For me it was quite the eye opener to all the R3 koolaid drinking I’ve done over the years.

I’m mad the Angry Bowhunter quit producing content

I may exclusively be hunting squirrels 20 years from now.

Here's my 2 cents:

You could end all hunting influencership and all commoditization of wildlife through hunting and it wouldn't come close to solving the biggest problems facing hunting and wildlife in this country. Humans outcompete all other species on the planet. There's no equilibrium in sight. We will consume it all.

Some concepts gleaned from Matt R’s podcasts, plus some correspondence with him:

ROI of gear companies giving free gear to social media micro-influencers is rapidly surpassing the ROI of other advertising methods in the outdoor industry. Nearly all influencers start by aiming to amass followers to get gear. Some are content to grow gear inflow, whereas others want to grow beyond gear to sponsorships, which is a steep hurdle.

Any influencer exchanging photos and videos of dead animals for gear is a modern day market hunter. The market hunting machine of 100+ years ago destroyed hunting opportunity for nearly everyone. The modern day market hunting machine of gear companies, social media influencers, hunting nonprofits, and, in some cases, state F&G depts is rapidly hastening the demise of hunting opportunity for today’s hunters.

The maw of crony capitalism eventually swallows the democratization of hunting in the US. The big players ride the money wave of hunting promotion, but every year it pivots more sharply to a wealthier demographic of guided hunters and leases.

Many of Matt R’s early podcast episodes are rather absurd and over the top. Many of the later episodes have more top notch guests and some very insightful voices. I highly encourage anyone to listen to 10+ of his podcast episodes in the #10-#30 range. For me it was quite the eye opener to all the R3 koolaid drinking I’ve done over the years.

I’m mad the Angry Bowhunter quit producing content

I may exclusively be hunting squirrels 20 years from now.
I didn’t know he had his own podcast. I’ve only listened to him on the meateater, with the one Christmas special with him tearing into Steve, and them going back and forth. So I don’t have as much exposure to his all of his ideas, but I agree with some others in this thread, the genie is out of the bottle, influencers are a thing. I think it is important for us to support those who are good for the sport, such as randy and I’d consider steve rinella too. But each person has their own opinion on who might be a good influencer. I think we should control the narrative in the same vein that we need to put out there positive things about our hunting culture, or more of rights may be taken away.

For instance, how many people have probably seen Steve rinellas works, maybe watched the show, thought neat, but never hunt but maybe consider it when hunting ballots, or regulations or whatever comes up. I can’t back that up by numbers or anything but that’s my thought process.

Back