Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Do Remington rifles deserve a premium now?

What I have learned the hard way, is buying anything fairly newer might be a shot in the dark. My 2019 sendero experience has not been good. Should have researched first. The older 700's I have bought are shooters. Some just needed some tweaking. I noticed that Marlins have jumped in value right now as well. Both will rise again, probably under different names and the jury will speak to the quality.
That's another side of the question - is the quality there? i've seen a few users indicate the same with the newer rifles.

Agree. Thats my feeling on this. It's a bubble around the fact that the company closed.
It's interesting that the 700 is commanding a "premium". The Pre-64 Winchester commands a "premium". The Pre 64 Winchester is a clunky rifle that shoots an inch if you are lucky. And yeah, I had one. .30-06 Featherweight. Gone. mtmuley

I’m a Remington fan and I hope they get all the favorites back in production but until that’s a fact Remingtons will go off at premium prices.

Questions like this amaze me. Who cares what anybody else thinks? If you want a Remington, buy one. Or listen to what everyone else thinks. mtmuley
Glad i could amaze you...Mtmuley. lol. that was easy. I see the question as testing my thoughts (of a bubble) against info i may not be aware of not following the crowd or wind.

Glad i could amaze you...Mtmuley. lol. that was easy. I see the question as testing my thoughts (of a bubble) against info i may not be aware of not following the crowd or wind.
I don't think you should pay a "premium" price for a Remington rifle. I also think that if you are interested, you should consider one. I've never been one to follow the internet for a rifle purchase. Good luck. mtmuley

Buy the parts and have someone build you what you want. 2 of the 3 700s in my safe were done that way. The 3rd someone had already had done when I got it. Don’t know if I would ever buy a new production one now after using these.

They don’t deserve a premium. Just buy one of the many good 700 clones. They were an excellent budget rifle if you were going to re-barrel or Re-chamber anyway.

They don’t deserve a premium. Just buy one of the many good 700 clones. They were an excellent budget rifle if you were going to re-barrel or Re-chamber anyway.
I'd buy one only if it was the best way to get an action. I have 7 of the 700s all left hand. One bought original in 1975 and 3 bought used after that. I have purchased 3 stainless actions the last couple year. None of the rifle purchases are the same as when Remington sold them.

I'd buy one only if it was the best way to get an action. I have 7 of the 700s all left hand. One bought original in 1975 and 3 bought used after that. I have purchased 3 stainless actions the last couple year. None of the rifle purchases are the same as when Remington sold them.
Same here. Usually if you sell the stock and barrel, the action and trigger are nearly free. I have a few custom triggers, but a factory Remington trigger is pretty good if you put longer lighter springs in them. Some of them came with some pretty good stocks though, so I don’t always sell the stock. Over half the barrels will shoot well if you re-chamber them, which you have to do to a blank anyway, so if the barrel looks pretty good, is a caliber that I wanted, and chambered for a cartridge that I can re-chamber without setting it back more than a neck length, then I might not do anything but re-chamber it.

The early 700 triggers were light, but I don’t like a trigger that it prevents me from opening the bolt until I take it off safety. The little loop Rinella slips over his bolt handle is a very simple solution, so I prefer to change springs in the new triggers that don’t lock the bolt.

The guys running Remington should make a three position safety so that you can lock the bolt for hunting, unlock the bolt while remaining on safe for clearing the chamber, and then take it off safety. That’s another problem with Mauser safeties that will clear a scope...you loose that third position.

Last edited:
I’ve bought Remington M700 and Model Seven rifles over the years, with
several being within the last 5 years. I’ve yet to find one that wouldn’t shoot moa or less in its factory offering.

I much prefer the two position safety and have never had an issue with it over the nearly 30 years of using them.

Since I might be selling a left hand Remington 700 LSS in 30-06 to buy parts for a lightweight 280 AI, I think they are well worth a premium - maybe even equal to the cost of a nitrided Defiance anTi action, a TriggerTech Special trigger, a Hart or Rock Creek # 2 barrel, an AGC Privateer stock, and a Hawkins BDL hinged floorplate.😀

The "premium" price thing comes from people selling, and probably more from people buying something because it might be scarce. Just like components or ammo. If the cheapest Savage was discontinued today, tomorrow it would command a "premium". mtmuley

Same here. Usually if you sell the stock and barrel, the action and trigger are nearly free. I have a few custom triggers, but a factory Remington trigger is pretty good if you put longer lighter springs in them. Some of them came with some pretty good stocks though, so I don’t always sell the stock. Over half the barrels will shoot well if you re-chamber them, which you have to do to a blank anyway, so if the barrel looks pretty good, is a caliber that I wanted, and chambered for a cartridge that I can re-chamber without setting it back more than a neck length, then I might not do anything but re-chamber it.

The early 700 triggers were light, but I don’t like a trigger that it prevents me from opening the bolt until I take it off safety. The little loop Rinella slips over his bolt handle is a very simple solution, so I prefer to change springs in the new triggers that don’t lock the bolt.

The guys running Remington should make a three position safety so that you can lock the bolt for hunting, unlock the bolt while remaining on safe for clearing the chamber, and then take it off safety. That’s another problem with Mauser safeties that will clear a scope...you loose that third position.
I think the feature that locks the bolt is great. I remember one time walking with the rifle on safe slung over such that it banged my leg and opened the bolt ejecting the round. Any smith should be able to mill a groove into the new actions to accommodate these older triggers.

The "premium" price thing comes from people selling, and probably more from people buying something because it might be scarce. Just like components or ammo. If the cheapest Savage was discontinued today, tomorrow it would command a "premium". mtmuley
As many as Remington made over the years they should never be scarce. If I was buying used, I'd never pay more than the price of a new action. Speaking of which, new actions are hard to come by as well. Must be good steady market for them.

I've been looking at buying a 280 Rem and noticed that Remington 700's appear to be commanding a price premium now that the company is folding up. What do you think? Is the premium worth it?
I agree with Mtmuley buy what you like I shoot. Henery Longranger chambered in .308 all my people laughed when it came But all the laughers have shot it now!!

I personally don't expect the 700 to have the high collector value in the near future, that some may think.
Quality of current production rifles sitting in warehouses is not what it should be.
20-30 year old guns may be a different story.
Still not a bad buy for a good gun if at reasonable prices though.
I would but one if at a decent price.
But, not to collect on a wall or in a safe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back