DIY Winter home remodel pics

T Bone

It's a little slow here on the forum, so here is what I've been doing.

Project was to take the family room down to the studs, rewire lights, install gas fireplace, drywall, paint, built in book shelves on both sides of the fireplace.

I made a few mistakes on the drywall as you can see shadows on the ceiling in the pic, but I don't care enough to re-do it.

I just framed the lower shelves prior to the lawn chair super bowl party.

picture.php

Next step is to faceframe and build the upper portions of the built-in. The built in will be with black walnut, like the mantel. I stumbled into a guy that sold me the rough cut walnut for the price of firewood.

Once the bookshelves are done we'll gut the kitchen to the studs, rewire, drywall paint, then put down hardwood floors through both rooms (except the blue taped area, which will be carpet).

That little yellow animal in the pic somehow snuck in the door last week.

Someone asked me why we're doing the remodel as it was perfectly livable before.....I'm not sure why.

We hope to be done by the end of April.....as feeding four kids in the garage will get less fun real quick.

As you seem to have skilz and free time I've got a project for you. Doesn't pay and the owner is a prick.................

Attachments

• IMG_20111218_180415[1].jpg
    IMG_20111218_180415[1].jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 757
As you seem to have skilz and free time I've got a project for you. Doesn't pay and the owner is a prick.................

Looks a little close to the counter :confused: May just be the picture or I have no sense of what the rest of the room looks like

Nice job T Bone. Im currently finishing my basement (DIY) so I can appreciate the sweat equity you are putting in.

Looks great T-bone!

Do you guys think the gas fireplaces are efficient? I have one in the fam room and one in the master bedroom. The one in the master bedroom does the job since that room is small, but I wish the one in the family room was a stove. I haven't used the one in the family room in a few years. I just figure if i'm using gas anyways, might as well just run the heater. My monthly bill seems less when i use the heater vs. running the fireplaces.

Looks a little close to the counter :confused: May just be the picture or I have no sense of what the rest of the room looks like

Several years ago I lost my nutz and the woman put in a longarm quilting machine and a 12 ft drapery table in our living room. Hard to tell from the only picture I have. Fireplace is far right side. It's on wheels and moves around. Probably not likely to use the fireplace anyway.

P1030075.jpg

Dink,

you should have come over and installed mine.

are you putting rock on the outside?

I was going to just drywall it but our house is pretty plain Jane so we decide to get the fake rock. I ordered it in December, it was such a hassle I knew the order would not be correct. 4 weeks later I picked up their wrong order. It is why I hate home improvement so much, I hate dealing with those people getting materials ordered.

No rush I guess, it was unframed from August 2005 until this December anyway

Do you guys think the gas fireplaces are efficient?

I've only turned it on once for a test run, can't give any input.

Real nice work there fellas!
T-bone, good looking pooch there too!
Dink - when your's is finished, come do one in my house.
***Seriously though,, I want to do something similiar (size/space/corner) in my basement...does that vent to the outside?

Dink,

you should have come over and installed mine.

are you putting rock on the outside?

Had mine been incorporated with an entertainment center like yours I would have just dry walled like yours as well. Make sure to post up the finished pics.

***Seriously though,, I want to do something similiar (size/space/corner) in my basement...does that vent to the outside?

Mine vents out the wall. I believe the duct is doubled and brings in fresh air as well as combustion out.

Like Dink said, it does vent in and out of the same pipe. It's called Direct Vent Pipe or DVP for short.

IMO, builing/installing a gas fireplace is not difficult.

Mine is a Heatilator brand and it came with excellent instructions for the DIY'er. You'll save alot installing it on your own.

Efficiency wise, it can't be as efficient as a furnace. But it sets a romantic mood. I plan on getting a lot of action from it. Ours has a fan and it heats two rooms well.

My wife would love to marry you two! I'm too dumb, too skill-less, and too lazy to take on something like and expect it to look any better than an 8th grade shop project.

We have direct vent gas FP's in the gathering room and media room (realtor terminology)...like em much more as compared to the wood burner we had at our previous home.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back